Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Advantages to using singlefile+cue. (Read 3991 times) previous topic - next topic

Advantages to using singlefile+cue.

Hi,

I have a big dilema, I don't know what approach to choose - single file .flac albums with integrated cuesheets or just a bunch of flac/wavpack files. Since there is no longer any problem with the gaps between tracks when they are separated (and one can create an ideal reconstruction of a CD from splited lossless files).

I know one of the advantages to choosing the single file system is that there's no unnecesary redundancy of tags (every file doesn't have to be tagged, also, you can't "loose" one track, etc...).
But there are also big disadvantages - not many portable players support cuesheets (when I'm away I always play music on my PocketPC, which supports FLAC but it doesn't support cuesheets). When the tracks are separated, I can jump and play to any of them w/o any problems.

So are there any real advantages to the single file approach?

Reply #1
BAM!
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=59345
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=59396

My opinions and thoughts are all outlined there.

For portable use, there are no advantages to listening to lossless. For home system use, you can go with lossless tracks, or I use FB2K with my remote... My ears are not that sensitive and neither are my friends. OGG Vorbis Q2 is good enough, even through my home system.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Reply #2
Discussion regarding hearing differences between 320kbps CBR and lossless moved here.
I'm on a horse.