Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Free E-Mail with IMAP Support (Read 5320 times) previous topic - next topic

Free E-Mail with IMAP Support

Reply #1
web.de

Reply #2
mail.aol.com

Reply #3
http://www.fastmail.fm

I've been using it as my main e-mail account for several years now, and it's superb. Besides supporting IMAP over SSL, it also has an excellent web interface.

The basic service is free, but you can buy upgrades (SMTP server over SSL, a bigger mailbox, ...), and most of them even via a one-time low payment.

I've used myrealbox in the past, but I switched because I couldn't handle the frequent downtimes. Back then, I did a lot of research on IMAP e-mail providers and Fastmail.FM seemed to be the best for my needs. I haven't had any regrets since.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #4
web.de
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309787"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have some problems with that. I am not sure if it's Thunderbird's fault or the way the IMAP server is configured, but I cannot create subfolders and also, even when I told TB not to subscribe to several folders, they still show up which I don't want (like "Postausgang" - I don't want to see it in my mail client).

Reply #5
don't know. i don't use it that sophisticated, but i guess that such "default" boxes like "postausgang" can't be switched off.
but then. i don't have a real clue, so its just guessing.

just tried and it's the same with my TB. Cannot unsubsribe. dunno. me thinks it's fault of TB...

edit: tried it with different client (outlook, eudora...)?

Reply #6
I as well had very good experiences with fastmail.fm. They have just 2 main downsides:

- You've got a traffic-limit - thats no problem for textmails, but you may reach it when you get multiple mails with very large attachements.

- no POP3. This means that you're limited in your choice of a MTA in case you dont want to use webmail.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #7
don't know. i don't use it that sophisticated, but i guess that such "default" boxes like "postausgang" can't be switched off.
but then. i don't have a real clue, so its just guessing.

just tried and it's the same with my TB. Cannot unsubsribe. dunno. me thinks it's fault of TB...

edit: tried it with different client (outlook, eudora...)?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309815"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK, it's the server's fault since MSOE told me that the server refuses hiding of folders:

Database error -1

Konfiguration:
   Konto: WEB.DE
   Server: imap.web.de
   Benutzername: sebastianmares
   Protokoll: IMAP
   Port: 993
   Secure (SSL): 1
   Code: 800cccd2

Reply #8
I as well had very good experiences with fastmail.fm. They have just 2 main downsides:

- You've got a traffic-limit - thats no problem for textmails, but you may reach it when you get multiple mails with very large attachements.

- no POP3. This means that you're limited in your choice of a MTA in case you dont want to use webmail.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309843"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The first one is a problem for me.

Also, I don't like the fact that they add a signature to mails.

Reply #9
Sebastian, check pm, iam using that one for years now, it is kinda reliable, but small, the entire box is limited to 10 megs afaik.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #10
again, mail.aol.com is 1GB, free, and IMAP