Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Joan Osborne One of Us Troublemaker (Read 4495 times) previous topic - next topic

Joan Osborne One of Us Troublemaker

Run this through FAAC 1.23.5.  Hear the pain.  Zipped for your protection.  17 second cut.

Reply #1
well..as i remmeber FAAC isnt really developed anymore.

so ther is really no point in using it when there are encoders consider better. (nero & itunes)
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #2
Which world?  faac is used as the backend to many frontends, and came in I think middle-of-the-pack, behind itunes and nero in the very recent aac listening tests, ahead of compaact and realaudio.  Where you been?

Reply #3
What do you exactly mean by faac 1.23.5? -q 100? -q 500? What is the problem?

sven_Bent> faac is still in development. No? Development seems to be slow, but not really stopped.

Reply #4
libfaac version 1.23.5 (Dec 17 2003)
Quantization quality: 100
Bandwidth: 16000 Hz
Object type: Low Complexity(MPEG-2) + M/S
Encoding trouble_maker_One_of_Us.wav to x128.aac
  frame          | elapsed/estim | play/CPU | ETA
  733/733  (100%)|    1.4/1.4    |  12.105 | 0.0

Actual bitrate is 118 kbps.  Doing -a 48 (gives 96 kbps) it's even worse.  There is not a lot going on in this sample.  -ns doesn't solve it at 96 but does take most of the bad stuff out.

"Listening" forum, aac tests, was the original location.

A fine example of a TEST SAMPLE!  Don't fret if you can a not a use it.

P.S.  Forum admin(s).  The JohnV? "samples" page at the top of many forums has a dead link.  I looked around a lot for .aac files.  Came up for air after a while with nothing in my hand.

Reply #5
Which world?  faac is used as the backend to many frontends, and came in I think middle-of-the-pack, behind itunes and nero in the very recent aac listening tests, ahead of compaact and realaudio.  Where you been?

Faac was in the middle yes but still clearly behind NERO/Itunes

faac is still in development. No? Development seems to be slow, but not really stopped

i just though Menno once wrote that he did not relly develope FAAC but rather FAAD. He had left the encoding developing to Ivan with the psytell encoder.
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #6
Here's a FAAC killer, I can ABX this sample vs. FAAC 1.23.5 <Mar  4 2004> -q 500. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong with FAAC?

also, tried it against NeroAACEnc 2.6.2.0 -audiophile and found that artifacts are introduced in the left channel