Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 97 Tape Rip shows up as lossy and cuts of at 16hz Lossy Source? or tap (Read 3858 times) previous topic - next topic

97 Tape Rip shows up as lossy and cuts of at 16hz Lossy Source? or tap

So my friend sent me some flacs of my faforite bands Demo Tape checking it with audiochecker it came up as MPEG and seeing the spectrum it cuts of at 16HZ
This is a tape rip so could it be the tape
or is it lossy sourced

Reply #1
It's quite common for normal tapes to cut off even lower than 16kHz. This cut off will not be as clean or sharp as that seen in an mp3.

With tapes, the high frequency roll off depends a lot on the tape deck that recorded it, and the formulation of the tape. Metal tapes could record higher frequencies reliably.

If you upload a short (less than 30 second) FLAC sample, or a picture of a full range spectrogram, I'm sure someone will be able to say if it's been low passed via tape, mp3, or maybe both!

Cheers,
David.

Reply #2
Ehm sorry for being such a noob
How do i add an attachment?
Code: [Select]

I cant seem to find It
And i noticed mediafire wasnt allowed
Any Help?
Please

Reply #3
You can put spaces in the mediafire URL to get around that, but there's an upload forum here.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showforum=35

Start a new thread and you can attach a clip to the post.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #4
It's quite common for normal tapes to cut off even lower than 16kHz. This cut off will not be as clean or sharp as that seen in an mp3.

With tapes, the high frequency roll off depends a lot on the tape deck that recorded it, and the formulation of the tape. Metal tapes could record higher frequencies reliably.

If you upload a short (less than 30 second) FLAC sample, or a picture of a full range spectrogram, I'm sure someone will be able to say if it's been low passed via tape, mp3, or maybe both!

Cheers,
David.

Uploaded
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=84899
Thank You In Advance

Reply #5
Clear mp3 source, probably standard 128 Kb/s CBR, no tape or anything
More experianced user can tell you more I guess

Reply #6
Clear mp3 source, probably standard 128 Kb/s CBR, no tape or anything
Agreed - definitely from a lossy source. Poor quality too - either due to a poor mp3 encoder, or an even lower bitrate than 128kbps, or because it's been encoded to mp3 more than once (e.g. CD > mp3 > CD > mp3 > CD > FLAC!).

Cheers,
David.