Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC Metadata: What is the use of SCRIPT tag? (Read 1545 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC Metadata: What is the use of SCRIPT tag?

Hello,
I noticed in certain FLAC files there is tag named SCRIPT which defaults to a value of "Latn", SCRIPT=Latn.
I haven't found any information about it on the web. Is that tag important to be included in the FLAC file's metadata? Do any audio player take advantage of it in any form?

Re: FLAC Metadata: What is the use of SCRIPT tag?

Reply #1
Musicbrainz uses this tag to indicate Latn for Latin script, Cyrl for Cyrillic, Arab for Arabic script, etc.

Reply #2
Is there any other spec, other than this https://xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html that details a little bit about less known tags such as RELEASETYPE=album or RELEASESTATUS=official?

Reply #4
Pick tag fields that are useful to you. MusicBrainz is a good base set. If you use it, your tags will agree with at least other users of Picard and MB Tagger. But the full set adds way too much unnecessary information. Albums of popular music sometimes mix scripts and insert English words, and I think albums are "official" by default and it's worth mentioning only when they aren't.