Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ? In the place of track length on last track (Read 16416 times) previous topic - next topic

? In the place of track length on last track

When I load a cue file all the tracks load fine except for the last track....instead of track length I get a question mark....I cannot access tagging sites and it wont let me convert flacs to .mpcs.....any ideas??

Reply #1
Where? foobar?
Embedded or external?
Does it happen with all cue sheets?
Please post an example (the cue sheet).

Reply #2
Well, this is odd...not sure what I did but I closed out Foobar and restarted and everything works fine now??

Reply #3
Well, this is odd...not sure what I did but I closed out Foobar and restarted and everything works fine now??

I have similar error, on the Sony Ericsson Disc2Phone software. I would use foobar to convert FLAC files to MP3 files. The last MP3 always displayed track time as ?.

But it didn't bother me much since it displayed the correct time on the phone.

Reply #4
I have the same problem for a very long time already....  OK. I have a CUE and APE files (separately) on my laptop.

1) Playing CUE with APE inside from laptop - fine.
2) Converting APE to FLAC. Changing APE -> FLAC in CUE file. Playing CUE from laptop - fine.
3) Copying FLAC and CUE to folder on external hard drive. Playing CUE - last track is "?", total time unknown.
4) Copying APE to the external hard drive.. Changing back in CUE: FLAC -> APE. PLaying CUE - fine!
5) ODD STUFF! Again, changing back APE -> FLAC in CUE. Playing CUE - FINE!
6) Removing APE, playing CUE - still fine! The problem is gone!

Foobar2000 0.9.6.2.

?????

Reply #5
When I load a cue file all the tracks load fine except for the last track....instead of track length I get a question mark....I cannot access tagging sites and it wont let me convert flacs to .mpcs.....any ideas??

I have manually deleted lines with "FLAGS DCP" and my cue-s get fixed. In other cue-s it was enough to open-save cue with text editor.

Reply #6
I had similar problem the other day with some cue files which wanted to be played ONLY from original folder where unpacked. When moved to work folder, the questionmark showed.
I didn't really know what happened. I will post details next time.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #7
I have this problem too. To clarify, I am using single FLAC files + external cuesheet generated from EAC. On some discs (not all) the last track doesn't have a duration, even though there is nothing obviously different about the cuesheet. Also, the one song affected by this that I've played so far did not get uploaded to Last.fm via the audioscrobbler component. I'll try a few more to see if this is consistent.

Edit: Confirmed. The affected songs do not get uploaded to last.fm.

Reply #8
Ha! I have a solution. Find the track in your library, right click the file, and click "Properties". Go to the "Properties" tab, then click the "Tools" button. There will be an option that says "Reload Info". Click this, and the song should now have a duration instead of a ?.

Reply #9
Ok, I know, this thread is quite old, but as I've stumbled in with the same problem with the questionmark on the last track of some flac-images, I wanna give my solution to all other future visitors.

I've found out, that this seems to be a problem with hidden command characters in the cue-sheet, which are there cause the file went through a unix/linux system. So you have to clean the cue-sheet and all will be fine. To do this automatically, you can make a batch-file to tell a tiny cl-tool Unix2Dos http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/dos2unix.html to do the work.

That's all.

Re: ? In the place of track length on last track

Reply #10
Would be great If foobar be able to handle these kind of files by itself. I don't have this issue in AIMP and other players e.g.

Reply #11
OK and thank you for the many answers here. It seems Foobar is very precise and very unforgiving in the way the cue has to be written especially if written by hand say for an LP or Cassette

Gaps in the title of the file can ALSO be a source of ? at the end of the cue in the player

EX:

in the first instance
Art Ensemble Of Chicago – Certain Blacks.flac      produces a ?

if i tidy up and write the filename thus
Art Ensemble Of Chicago-Certain Blacks.flac

the ? disappears and the cue plays fine

So if you have this kink and none of the earlier tricks do it tidy or re-write your filename in the file and cue

yea yer roight !

Reply #12
Cue sheets are processed as ANSI unless they contain a UTF-8 byte order marker at the start.

Reply #13
@shantiq : If you open and re-save the offending cuesheet in Notepad, will it then warn you that it could lose characters and you should use Unicode/UTF-8?

Reply #14
Special symbols in filenames, such as a long dash, should be avoided as best practice. ^

Foobar is indeed unforgiving. I also noticed that it wouldn't load files referenced by their absolute full path with a drive letter. Such cue sheets come out of the "CD Wave" program, which is used for splitting.

Invalid path syntax

It is not hard to open up the cue sheet in a text editor and remove the path. But the syntax is also not so wrong that the program can't recognize that the path is absolute and deal with it.

Reply #15
Special symbols in filenames, such as a long dash, should be avoided as best practice. ^
There are cases for it, but when one first decides to support UTF-8 cuesheets ...

I've decided to nearly-completely give up on filename characters restrictions. "Nearly" ... I have an "ALBUM ARTIST SORT" tag which avoids most of them "special symbols", and I start filenames with that - so if I copy to other file systems or file browsers (like, at least my previous car stereo defaulted to reading filenames off my Android phone), it displays correct from the start.
But I do not want to change Icelandic or Greek album titles, and in case I lose tags, I would rather have a filenaming scheme I can use to auto-tag.

Reply #16
I still encounter this bug from time to time, and I noticed that if you load multiple cue files from a relatively long path in one go, it will happen a lot.

A quick "Tagging->reload information from the files" will fix it; you can also move/rename the file, but that basically just forces foobar2000 to flush its cache.

I still wish this bug can be fixed eventually, but now at least I know how to work around :)

Reply #17
Are you sure it's not your storage system choking on too many open files at once? Some network devices use really old versions of the Samba server.

Reply #18
Are you sure it's not your storage system choking on too many open files at once? Some network devices use really old versions of the Samba server.

It's definitely possible (it's not network device though, just an old 7200rpm HDD), but shouldn't software be able to deal with slow I/O in general (using queueing or retry, etc? not a programmer myself admittedly)? Normally software will just take longer time (or freeze a little bit) if I/O is slow, but still get things done.

By the way, I often encounter technical data (like sample rate, bitrate) missing too (can also be fixed with force reloading).

Reply #19
If you copy cue sheets into a folder watched by foobar's media library, copy the media file first and the cue sheet later. Otherwise there is no information available for the cue parser to get the data you are missing.