Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Various Artists instead of the actual artist for songs in a compilation (Read 1903 times) previous topic - next topic

Various Artists instead of the actual artist for songs in a compilation

Sorry, I am new to this so it might be silly; but I can only see Various Artists instead of the actual artist for songs in a compilation, whatever the app I am using. The song title it's displayed correctly though.
Could you tell me please what change should I make in order to fix this?

Re: Various Artists instead of the actual artist for songs in a compilation

Reply #1
I'm not a FLAC guy, but there is an "artist" field and a "performer" field.   I don't know which one your player software is picking-up.

(FLAC uses Vorbis Comments).

If you don't already have a program for tag editing Mp3Tag works with FLAC as well as MP3 and almost every other format.

Reply #2
Check to see that you have both albumartist and artist tag fields in your flac files. My flac files have both and players I use might show "various" as albumartist for a compilation, but show the actual artist for each track.

Reply #3
Some use an ALBUMARTIST field. Some use ALBUM ARTIST with space.
Then ARTIST will typically be used for the track artist.

Reply #4
As others pointed out, there are 2 “artist” tags, ALBUM ARTIST and ARTIST.
Most media players do think tracks belong to the same album if they have the same values in the ALBUM and ALBUM ARTIST tag.
If this wouldn’t be the case albums like “Their Greatest Hits” all of a sudden contains hundreds of tracks :)

In case of samplers therefore you must use the same value  in ALBUM ARTIST to avoid this album to be split. Hence Various Artist
Individual artist can be stored in the ARTIST tag.
A lot of media player allow you to browse by ARTIST as well

TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #5
Thank you for suggestions.
Checking with  Mp3Tag the files look generally alright.
The problem seems to be with Plex which I am using as a DLNA server. Even if in Plex browser player the info it's displayed correctly.