Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

which setting is transparent to you?

-V6 ~ V9  or other
[ 4 ] (3.6%)
-V5 --vbr-new
[ 40 ] (36%)
-V4 --vbr-new
[ 17 ] (15.3%)
-V3 --vbr-new
[ 14 ] (12.6%)
-V2 --vbr-new
[ 27 ] (24.3%)
-V1 --vbr-new
[ 3 ] (2.7%)
-V0 --vbr-new
[ 6 ] (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Topic: which setting is transparent to you and your choice ? (Read 13150 times) previous topic - next topic

which setting is transparent to you and your choice ?

I use abx test , when I use -V4 setting , it's difficult to abx the different for me

but i use -V2 for CDs , because it attend high frequency

Reply #2
-V 5 --vbr-new is transparent to me, but since I only keep using MP3 on my new portable device (Vorbis for home listening) I stick to -V 6 --vbr-new instead. In conjunction with the earbuds this setting is absolutely sufficient, hence I went for "-V6 ~ V9  or other" as setting of choice.

Edit: Forget what I wrote 'bout -V 6. Even -V 7 suffices for the combination noisy environment+earbuds.

Reply #3
My votes fall into the majority, -V5 is enough on my car and portable so this is the setting I use these days.
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #4
- V2

- V0
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #5
-v5 is transparent enough for my ears to justify its use on my iPod.

Reply #6
-V5 sounds is Good~ I use on my iPod,too

Reply #7
V5. It's noisy out there
She is waiting in the air

Reply #8
V5 as well

Reply #9
-V5. my tin cans fail me

Reply #10
-V 3 --vbr-new

-V 2 --vbr-new

Reply #11
-V5 --vbr-new 
:Foobar 2000:
:MPC --standard:
:iRiver H320 Rockboxed:

Reply #12
I went the opposite way. I _can_ ABX -V5 sometimes, but use it anyway with lots of lower quality content on my portable, because I don't drive+walk around ABXing!

Reply #13
-V5 --vbr-new, but since I'm paranoid and have space on my DAP I go for -V2 --vbr-new most of the time.
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #14
-V 5 is transparent for me, but I use -V 2 just to make sure that I won't here any artifacts if I improve my listening capabilities. It already happened to me when I thought 80kbps ABR is enough for me some times ago. Now these encodes sound terrible to me.

In fact I'm not using MP3s anymore, I encode to Vorbis -q6.

Reply #15
It already happened to me when I thought 80kbps ABR is enough for me some times ago. Now these encodes sound terrible to me.

Weeheehee... that reminds me of my first encodings using the Windows Media Encoding Utility with WMA 8 @64 kbit/s around 5 or 6 years ago, when I was still stupid enough to trust Microsoft's marketing blabla concerning the so-called "CD quality" at this bitrate. The funny thing about this was the fact that my then-used 10 DM speakers (~5 Euro) actually produced some kind of "quality" that was hard to impossibly to distinguish from the sources. But some time later, listening to the tracks via the headphones and some better speakers quickly revealed the catastrophic truth...