Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MAC(.APE) Linux Port 3.99 update 4 released (Read 88770 times) previous topic - next topic

MAC(.APE) Linux Port 3.99 update 4 released

Reply #50
Short question. Do you guys know any command line GPL-ed decoder? I just want something I can use to trascode into FLAC. I keep everything in FLAC.

Triza

Reply #51
Long time no see, guys.

mac-port 3.99 update 4 build 5 released:

ChangeLog:
Code: [Select]
3.99 Update 4 build 5 (2006/06/01):
     * Add fully AMD64 support.
     * Remove backward compatibility (< 3.93)

You can grab it from SourceForge

Reply #52
thanks supermmx!

Reply #53
yeah, thanks for that! finally I can use it on my amd64 again... I was too lazy to write the amd64 assembler stuff... seemed to be always something missing 

but... by the way, you could post your update in the monkeysaudio-forums as well!

regards
regards
Marcus

Reply #54
The project seems to no longer exist on sourceforge. Is there a reason for this? Has the project moved? And will there be an update? Thanks.

Reply #55
i think it wasn't saved during the huge overhauls at sourceforge.

jason (shorten, shntool) has it here for anyone looking for it:
http://etree.org/shnutils/shntool/

you'll also want the shntool patch at the same site.

later

Reply #56
It might be due to mac's license nonsense too.
The guy (quoting README) has sticked a 'fake' LGPL to it, so sf.net would host it

Reply #57
It might be due to mac's license nonsense too.
The guy (quoting README) has sticked a 'fake' LGPL to it, so sf.net would host it

My guess too; that the SF moderators finally caught on that the licensing on this stuff was a far cry from kosher...
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #58
at rarewares/debian i repackaged/updated 3.99b4u5 with the shntool patch, btw.

later

Reply #59
Thanks for this one! I have been searching for this for a long time.
At last i can convert those ape-files under linux! 

Reply #60
Hi all, just a quick note to let you know the mac-port project is back at SourceForge.
It's back at the exact same location(s):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac-port/
http://mac-port.sourceforge.net/

I re-uploaded everything, all the last versions, and re-created a website. I tried to reach any of the previous developers and maintainers, but without success. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to get back to me via [ wegmethaat@yahoo.com ]. I've been using (GNU/)Linux for over 10 years and know how to apply patches, code C/C++, and so on, so if you have any code you want added or changed, do not be fearful and let me know about it. ;-)

Reply #61
the shntool patch would be nice

Reply #62
what's the point of reuploading?  it was pulled due to SF TOS violation and it doesn't look like anything has changed:

COPYING:
Code: [Select]
See src/License.html.

I faked the LGPL license in order to make it hosted at SourceForge,.
I am very sorry for this to other Free Software developers.
We all hope that the original author will change the license to.
some standard open source licenses.

Reply #63
It seems the mac-port website has been removed again. I think it would be a pity if the Monkey's Audio non-win32 port wouldn't be available, so I will host it for a while.

Monkey's Audio non-win32 port:
mac-3.99-u4-b5.tar.gz

Reply #64
Another option is write a decoder based on libdemac, a GPL-licensed APE decoder library (only supports 3.97 and later though), which is a part of Rockbox.

Reply #65
it's more confusing to have a 3.99-u4-b6 tarball in the wild...

this isn't going to die off, this is packaged by myself and many others for other distros.

later

Reply #66
Another option is write a decoder based on libdemac, a GPL-licensed APE decoder library (only supports 3.97 and later though), which is a part of Rockbox.

By the way, ffmpeg guys did just that recently, ie added monkeys demuxer/decoder based on libdemac. Meaning it's now possible to play apes with recent enough mplayer and stuff.

Reply #67
Maybe you're right. I was a bit worried about offering something with stuff in it about faking a LGPL license, but I shouldn't be so anal 

Reply #68
It's great to see this!  Thanks for your hard work.

Monkey's Audio is free.  You can port it, put it on hardware, put it in commercial software, etc.

I have no intention of switching to a restrictive license like GPL.  I'm fine with Monkey's Audio being included with GPL packages.

My day job and family keeps me busy, but it's great to see Monkey's Audio progress.  The site gets millions of hits of month, and there's been a steady stream of hardware support.

If anyone has any source or links that should be added to the Monkey's Audio page, you can email me at matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks,
Matt Ashland