Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Convert flac to BMW iDrive, Need help to understand (Read 6078 times) previous topic - next topic

Convert flac to BMW iDrive, Need help to understand

Hi,

Can anyone help me to undestand how I can convert albums from my flac library to my car BMW X6?
Would like to have the highest possible quality and album art.

Rgds,
Marre

Reply #1
Assuming the stereo in your car only supports mp3, you would need to transcode your library to mp3 on whatever medium your car stereo will handle (CD, USB flash drive, etc).

We would honestly need a lot more details about the stereo in your car, your OS on your PC, your preferred audio applications, etc.

Reply #2
This thread has an illustrated guide:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417311

It may take several steps to convert your FLACs to MP3 with embedded artwork:
1. Install foobar2000 and launch it: www.foobar2000.org
2. Find FLAC files you want to convert and be sure there is a cover art image (cover.jpg) in the same folder.  (If you need one, search at www.albumartexchange.com)
3. Drag FLAC files onto foobar2000 main window
4. Select all files and right-click > "Convert" > "..."
5. Configure converter as follows:
   Output Format: MP3 LAME V4* (If you need the LAME MP3 converter, you'll find it at www.rarewares.org)
   Destination/Path: you may want to create a folder for these files on your desktop or elsewhere called "For iDrive"
   Destination/Output style: "Convert each track to an individual file"; Name format: %artist%/%album%/%track% - %title%
   Processing/ReplayGain: Source mode: "Album"; Processing: "Apply gain and prevent clipping"
   Other/When Done:
  • "Copy other files to the destination directory": *.jpg
       > When converter fully configured, be sure to save the profile for future use. e.g. "For iDrive"
    6. Install Mp3tag and launch it: www.mp3tag.de/en/
    7. Drag MP3 files onto Mp3tag main window
    8. Select all and go to Main Menu > "Actions" > "Actions (Quick)" > "Import cover from file" > cover.jpg

As yourlord said above, it's possible you may already have software on your PC that can do some/all of this.  Reply with names of applications you use to play music files on your computer.

Use USB pen drive to transfer MP3 files to your iDrive per guide above.  Other files types may work with iDrive, but I could only confirm MP3 and WMA.  Post back if you need more details.

*You can experiment with this quality setting.  V4 should be more than fine for playback in a car environment.

Reply #3
Thanks for the advices!

Ha tried alot of different converters and with all the basic mp3 and album art works fine..

..but is is so that there is no way beside attacing Apple device to get high def music thru the usb?

Rgds,
Markku

Reply #4
Hi-def music? A car is a relatively noisy environment. You're unlikely to be able to differentiate between MP3 and FLAC with headphones on so the chances in a car are reduced significantly. Plus in a car you should be concentrating on driving  Which means that reduced chance of hearing a difference just got reduced a little more.

Reply #5
If your stereo (I've not really researched anything about the BMW system) will use a USB device as simple storage, then you can store your music on any USB storage device and access it with your stereo.

As an example, I have a dedicated 16GB USB thumb drive plugged into mine loaded with mp3 copies of a portion of my library. I then use the stereo's interface to browse and play what I like.
My guess is yours has a similar functionality.