Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Old] Vorbis Streamer (foo_vorbisstream) (Read 132577 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Old] Vorbis Streamer (foo_vorbisstream)

Reply #100
Thanks for the great plugin! everything is fine just not adjustable the bitrate, all the time - 112 kbps, whether you like increase it?

Reply #101
Thanks for the great plugin! everything is fine just not adjustable the bitrate, all the time - 112 kbps, whether you like increase it?
Simply change the "Quality" setting.

Note that this component is kind of unsupported. It works fine for me, but requires some competence in order to make work properly. I'd love to resolve that, but I have more pressing matters to deal with in my life at the moment. I can and will answer specific technical questions, but unless you're confident setting up Icecast2 and connecting to it, I'm not really able to spend the time to help you.

Reply #102
yeah this is failing. i have icecast2 as well as vorbis streamer 1.1 at default settings and this is what i get...
Code: [Select]
admin    icemaster@localhost
client_connections    332
clients    1
connections    354
file_connections    240
host    localhost
listener_connections    0
listeners    0
location    Earth
server_id    Icecast 2.3.2
server_start    Fri, 01 Apr 2011 13:52:12 Pacific Daylight Time
source_client_connections    0
source_relay_connections    0
source_total_connections    0
sources    0
stats    0
stats_connections    0

clients  1 happens when i start playing music on foobar2000 but that's about it. not even the endpoint works(which is /stream.ogg)

Reply #103
Double-check your configuration. "Default settings" do not work without some configuration, for either Icecast or this component.

Reply #104
i got it working. it was as simple as supplying an encoder password...

Reply #105
Shoutcast doesn't support ogg. I had to switch to Edcast which doesn't support Unicode. >.>
Could you add an option to grab the metadata from the foobar2000 window like Edcast does AND support unicode?
Also, could you add support for AAC/MP3 encoder so make it work with Shoutcast?
The very act of observing, influences what happens.

Reply #106
Could you add an option to grab the metadata from the foobar2000 window like Edcast does AND support unicode?
No, metadata comes from the file, not stupid titlebar reading hacks. This will never change. UTF-8 is completely supported.

Also, could you add support for AAC/MP3 encoder so make it work with Shoutcast?
Next time I get around to working on this component I'll probably add in LAME. Don't tell anyone or expect it any time this century though.

Reply #107
thx for this great plugin.

sadly the playback in browsers is interrupped when the track changes... ist no continuous stream.

In vlc player ist works fine but browsers...

Any ideas? I had an older streaming plugin in foobar 0.95 and that time, it worked fine without that problems.

Greeds & thx

Reply #108
I use Icecast kh and FFMp3. It works fine without interruptions.

Reply #109
This might be a stupid question but - since there is no documentation for this plugin - how to use it? I have only found Preferences->Playback->DSP Manager and then Configure Selected on Vorbis Streamer and not much there... only some basic settings that are enough for making a connection. Is it suppose to be only this or there should be something more? When I play files there's nothing on the console (except that a file is playing); Icecast reports new client connection. When I hit stop there's a "disconnected from server" message. Should I expect any UI? Anything simple like "connect", "disconnect", "push to talk", "mic level", "background music level"?

Thanks in advance,
Jan.

Reply #110
Anything simple like "connect", "disconnect", "push to talk", "mic level", "background music level"?
Play is connect. Pause/stop is disconnect. There's no mic handling of any sort.

This component has a single use case: streaming music to an Icecast server in Ogg Vorbis format. Ogg Vorbis was chosen because the metadata format is sane, unlike MP3.

Reply #111
I could use some help with this component. I installed it in foobar 1.1.1, but I don't get a configuration page. There's no entry for it under "Tools". There is an entry under Advanced >> Tools, but that just gives me the option of what to log to the console. I have no way of actually setting up the component that I see. I've checked under Tools, Playback, etc. and just can't figure it out. I don't need to add a panel to Columns UI layout do I?

Edit: Figured it out. Didn't realize it was a DSP.

Reply #112
Don't know if it has been said before: Make sure the icecast server is running at all times locally - if not, the component's polling will slow foobar down to a crawl. Doesn't happen with foo_edcast.

Reply #113
Don't know if it has been said before: Make sure the icecast server is running at all times locally - if not, the component's polling will slow foobar down to a crawl. Doesn't happen with foo_edcast.

I have fixed this issue.
The fixed file is here.
Use it at your own risk.

The known problem is, when disconneting from server,
the reconnect process would start a little bit late.

Thanks author Canar for sharing his github, so I could compile the src code and fix it.

Reply #114
Thanks author Canar for sharing his github, so I could compile the src code and fix it.
The project is GPL; could you post your modified source code somewhere please?

Reply #116
I have a strange problem that I think I have pinpointed to this component. When used in conjunction with a VST plug-in I sometimes experience audio stuttering. It is not random as it reliably occurs only during certain passages of some tracks. These passages have one thing in common: they are comparatively mellow and feature a high dynamic range. So, dense metal tracks are not affected but ambient tracks are more likely to be affected. To pinpoint the problematic component I used two different VST plug-ins (Perfect Declipper and Ozone) with two different VST bridges (the older "VST bridge" 0.60 beta and the newer "VST 2.4 adapter"). While writing a visualizer component for the default UI I also noticed that with both the visualizer and Vorbis Streamer enabled stuttering occurred. Removing the latter from the DSP list solved the stuttering in all cases.

I think the mentioned VST plug-ins and the visualizer have two things in common: They all are quite performance hungry and they might also all use their own internal buffer to process larger audio chunks. So, I wonder if there might be some kind of sync problem or performance bottleneck. When the stuttering occurs no CPU cores show full utilization. So the available system performance is unlikely to be the issue. Maybe the following might be involved in the problem:

Bugs and peculiarities:
  • Known to cause the host audio to skip if upload bandwidth is insufficient for the stream.

But what I still can't grasp is why the effect depends on the signal.

P.S.: To be absolutely sure, I just used a fresh installation of foobar2000 with foo_dsp_std.dll, foo_input_std.dll, foo_ui_std.dll, foo_vorbisstream.dll and foo_vst.dll as the only components. No DSPs other than Vorbis Streamer and VST 2.4 adapter have been loaded. The order doesn't matter, stuttering occurs on both cases. I also found out that the stream itself begins to stutter. Sometimes the buffer of the streaming player even runs dry till playback stops. This happens independently from the sound card as I use the Null Output driver in foobar2000 when I listen to my stream from somewhere else.

Reply #117
Try georgemouse's variant, Hancoque.

Reply #118
It doesn't fix the issue.

Reply #119
I've never experienced anything like this. I've used VSTs in conjunction with my component before with nary a problem. The peculiarity you listed is fixed by georgemouse's mod.

I don't even know where to start with this problem of yours. I am incapable of reproducing it. Even if I was, the component isn't very actively developed at the moment.

Reply #120
I have prepared two files to demonstrate the problem.

First the source file (30 seconds sample) where the stuttering occurs.
vorbis-streamer-stuttering-source.flac

Then the processed file (10 seconds) with the stutter issues in the signal. There are three occurrences at 0:01.384, 0:01.981 and 0:04.309.
vorbis-streamer-stuttering.flac

It seems that the signal is paused during the duration of a gap because listening to the signal after deleting the gaps shows that nothing is missing. I also noticed that the seekbar position marker movement is jerky while Vorbis Streamer is active. The position marker is suddenly being pulled back at certain positions. But not all of these visible glitches are audible. There seems to be a certain tolerance.

Reply #121
I believe that your problem exists. However, I can do nothing about it unless I can reproduce it on my development machine, which I cannot.

Reply #122
I just reverted back to latest official and stable version of the Icecast server. The problem is gone. So there seems to be a specific problem between Vorbis Streamer and the "kh" branch of the Icecast server, that I'm using (available here).

Reply #123
Will this plugin make FLAC too?

Reply #124
Not currently. Maybe in the future.