Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for good PC loud speakers (Read 4912 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for good PC loud speakers

Hi there folks!

I am looking for some good stereo loud speakers for my PC, as my old Typhoon ones are damaged (ugly distortions at 200 Hz + a 50 Hz signal coming out of the headphone jack when using headphones + the power button is broken). On the Internet, I was able to find some, but most of them are 2.1 (two satellites and one sub-woofer) and I can't find a place where to put the bass speaker.
Now my question: does any of you know any simple stereo speakers for a reasonable price? I don't really want any super high quality sound, but they should sound acceptable when listening to music.

Also, what do you think of this ones?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian Mares

Reply #1
THey look ok..  I see they have a microphone input.  Maybe that just passes back to the computer so you have a place on the desk to plug in a headset?

Some speakers, like ones I got from IBM, have a subwoofer jack that you can plug into if your space situation changes, but I wouldn't put a lot of weaght on that.

Reply #2
THey look ok..  I see they have a microphone input.  Maybe that just passes back to the computer so you have a place on the desk to plug in a headset?

Oh yes, my current speakers have a microphone jack, too. On the back there is anohter jack which has to be connected with the sound-card's microphone input.

Reply #3
At least in the States, Cambridge Soundworks (which is now owned by Creative) has better options. Visit their site for examples. I've owned several. For price they're often hard to beat.

That said, it seems like the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's are getting lots of positive reviews. One I read compared it in definition to the Grado SR-60 headphones. For computer speakers that's pretty high praise. Course you still have to deal with that third box.

Reply #4
i highly recommend swan diva m200's.  probably the best 2.0 system still in production.  (videologic sirocco crossfires being the best, but discontinued and tres expensive.)  but the klipsch promedia 2.1's are definitely an excellent choice.  those would really be the only ones i would consider, but a lot of folks do have really positive things to say about monsoon planars too.

Reply #5
I came to the conclusion that there are no good 2.0 systems available, at least not for a reasonable price. There are some good 2.1, 4.1 or 5.1 ones though. Personally, i don't use PC speakers anymore. I have my hi-fi system and Sennheiser PX 100 hooked to the breakout-box of my soundcard, and mostly use the headphones.

Reply #6
What's your budget look like Sebastian?
If price is no object, then it shouldn't be too hard to find a superb pair of powered studio monitors (you may need to get an adapter to and from XLR) at a local music shop.

The Swan Diva m200's mentioned by cary are reputedly excellent, but they are not always readily availible.
  The Klipsch 2.1 system is good, but like all Klipsch gear, quite pricey.
  Instead of Klipsch I would personally purchase the Monsoon Planar Media 14 or PM11 systems -  they've been discontinued and can be found for extremely reasonable prices, and put out excellent sound for the money.