Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Changes Made to TAG.EXE (Read 162807 times) previous topic - next topic

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #25
Edit: @ [proxima]: Again, thanks for your help. FYI: Since Beta 5 I am no longer using the --tofile code, so:

TAG --tocuea --recursive *.wv

... works. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348607"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for your work Syntetic Soul, it is really appreciated.
I'm happy you finally ended up with a successful recursive mode
WavPack 4.3 -mfx5
LAME 3.97 -V5 --vbr-new --athaa-sensitivity 1

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #26
@Synthetic Soul: the new switches you added return always zero even if the input file does not contain an embedded cuesheet. It would be useful for batchfiles creation if you can return "non zero" in this and the other possible failure cases.

edit: i've just found a workaround with batchfiles, i can check for filesize. You can ignore this request 
WavPack 4.3 -mfx5
LAME 3.97 -V5 --vbr-new --athaa-sensitivity 1

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #27
I can't really return a non-zero value, as it is not an error, per se, if no cuesheet tag exists.

You can use --tocue/a/n while tagging, or any other action, so returning an error would be inaccurate in many situations.

I could report when no cuesheet tag is found, but I guess that is of no practical use.

Anyway, I'm glad that you found a workaround.
I'm on a horse.

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #28
I'm sure TAG.EXE has a long and storied past, but I haven't been able to find that story anywhere.  What's the reason that the writing of id3v2 tags is not supported by this tool?

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #29
Much of the story I can't explain.  I am a relative noob to this forum.

My small part of the story is detailed in this thread.  In essence, I wanted to embed a cuesheet in my Monkey's Audio files as part of an automated archive process.  I asked Case whether he would add the functionality to set the tag from the contents of a text file and he replied that he had no interest in updating Tag.  So, I took it upon myself to add the functionality. I never intended to do anything else with Tag, but although the application was popular, no-one else seemed interested in updating it further, so as libraries that Tag uses were updated  I have updated my mods of Tag, in case they are relevant.  I have made a few other minor amendments as and when people have requested.

I have always been confused why a competent C(++) programmer has not taken on the role.

I tend to get one or two emails a week regarding Tag.  Many ask me when I will add ID3v2 tagging.  Sadly, I have to tell them that I simply don't have the skills to implement such a thing.  That said, Case didn't add ID3v2 tagging for a reason.  He must surely have the skills to utilise the ID3lib library, so I figure that ID3v2 was never meant to be.  I have always been concerned about corrupting Tag's good name, and, stupid or not, it seems to me that adding ID3v2 tagging to Tag would be sacrilegious in some way.

I know many people on the forum seem to have a low opinion of ID3v2, stating that it is a poor standard and can result in corrupted files.  I can only assume Case subscribed to this thinking.

I for one would like to hear Case's story more.  He was posting infrequently when I joined the forum, and seems not to post at all now (hopefully the two events were no related).  On checking he was last active two days ago, but hasn't posted for six months.
I'm on a horse.

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #30
Is there any way to pipe the output to a text file? Im just trying to read the artist, album and genre tags into my vb app. I could use metaflac but would rather keep tag as its such a versatile tool.

Whenever I do
tag "1.flac"  --hideinfo --simple --hidenames >> test.txt

I get a blank text file

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #31
TAG.EXE --stdout *.* > report.txt

You will need at least version 2.0.44 to use the --stdout switch.
I'm on a horse.

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #32
use the --nfo switch!

Edit: Ooops Synthetic_Soul was quicker. However, --nfo works with earlier versions.

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #33
Thanks guys, cant believe i missed that one!

Edit:

tag "1.flac"  --hideinfo --simple --hidenames --stdout >> rep.txt

worked perfectly.

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #34
...i hope for an id3v2 writing support....
... if i'm just a good programmer, i can contibute to synthetic soul.

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #35
Tag.exe doesn't seem to be able to read ID3v2 tags written with foobar2000 0.9. Can you fix that Synthetic Soul?

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #36
Sorry, no.  I just don't have the knowledge of ID3v2 or C++.

Perhaps it is time that a competent C++ programmer took on the mantle?
I'm on a horse.

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #37
Damn, I really hoped tag.exe could write ID3v2!!

I use Helium as tag manager, which reads APEv2 tags, but are appearent not very good at it. If I remove ID3v2 tags and update the "year"-tag, nothing shows up in Helium. I need this to update series of files with a script gathering data from a database.... so now i'm stuck :-(
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #38
I have a small feature request. Since foobar2000 started to write tracknumber field in format MM/NN where MM is track number and NN is total tracks count, it is hard to rename tracks using tag. Is it possible to strip '/' and everything after this char from tracknumber field when renaming?

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #39
Try loading all of the MP3s whose tags you want to alter into foobar2000, selecting them and removing the TOTALTRACKS field. I have no idea how you could do this with TAG or another program, though.

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #40
Try loading all of the MP3s whose tags you want to alter into foobar2000, selecting them and removing the TOTALTRACKS field. I have no idea how you could do this with TAG or another program, though.

Do you feel the difference between correcting Tag's functionality and modifing tag information to let Tag work as expected?  I need this field, I don't want to remove it.

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #41

HMM does it pretty much the same way... (Oh and by the way - It actually supports most of the ID3v2 standard which fb2k doesn't )
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #42
HMM does it pretty much the same way... (Oh and by the way - It actually supports most of the ID3v2 standard which fb2k doesn't )

Sorry, what's "HMM"?

thanks

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #43

Me too. I understand that this subject is pretty much taboo here, but tag would be so much more useful to me if it just dropped the politics and wrote ID3v2 tags...

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #44
I've got those ID3v2 tag that iTune produce with the cover and it crash when applying it to a ogg file

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #45

Me too. I understand that this subject is pretty much taboo here, but tag would be so much more useful to me if it just dropped the politics and wrote ID3v2 tags...

I agree as well, and have wanted that feature implemented since the get go and the likes of Winamp and Foobar2000 can write them so I don't see why it was never implemented regardless of "taboo, and paranoia."

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #46
Hello

Is there a reason that tag.exe does not create an extended m3u file for TAK files? I tested it with tag.exe --playlist *.tag but it did not creat an extended m3u playlist with the artist / title names.

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #47
I'm not familiar with M3U playlists, or Tag's --playlist switch, but I used:

Code: [Select]
TAG --playlist *.mp3

... and created:

#EXTM3U
#EXTART:Lali Puna
#EXTALB:Tridecoder
#EXTINF:309,Lali Puna - 603
01 - 6-0-3.mp3
#EXTINF:237,Lali Puna - Rapariga da Banheira
02 - rapariga da banheira.mp3
#EXTINF:273,Lali Puna - Antena Trash
03 - antena trash.mp3
#EXTINF:214,Lali Puna - System On
04 - system on.mp3
#EXTINF:283,Lali Puna - Everywhere & Allover
05 - everywhere and allover.mp3
#EXTINF:279,Lali Puna - Tocadisco's
06 - toca-discos.mp3
#EXTINF:149,Lali Puna - Press My Tummy
07 - press my tummy.mp3
#EXTINF:235,Lali Puna - Fast Forward
08 - fast forward.mp3
#EXTINF:266,Lali Puna - Superlotado
09 - superlotado.mp3
I'm on a horse.

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #48
I'm not familiar with M3U playlists, or Tag's --playlist switch, but I used:

TAG --playlist *.mp3

... and created:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:309,Lali Puna - 603
01 - 6-0-3.mp3
#EXTINF:237,Lali Puna - Rapariga da Banheira
02 - rapariga da banheira.mp3
#EXTINF:273,Lali Puna - Antena Trash
03 - antena trash.mp3
#EXTINF:214,Lali Puna - System On
04 - system on.mp3
#EXTINF:283,Lali Puna - Everywhere & Allover
05 - everywhere and allover.mp3
#EXTINF:279,Lali Puna - Tocadisco's
06 - toca-discos.mp3
#EXTINF:149,Lali Puna - Press My Tummy
07 - press my tummy.mp3
#EXTINF:235,Lali Puna - Fast Forward
08 - fast forward.mp3
#EXTINF:266,Lali Puna - Superlotado
09 - superlotado.mp3

did you try with tak files?

Changes Made to TAG.EXE

Reply #49
Just tried.  I got the header (below), but not any track info.  I'll try to take a look.

#EXTM3U
I'm on a horse.