Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DAC Benchmark? (Read 5478 times) previous topic - next topic

DAC Benchmark?

Just wondering, how can i know if a DAC is good or bad, is there a way to Benchmark?

I remember using some kind of software from Speaker Output to Line In to compare, but not sure it that was testing the DAC or something else.

Thanks

DAC Benchmark?

Reply #1
Just wondering, how can i know if a DAC is good or bad, is there a way to Benchmark?

RMAA software to measure SNR, distortion, frequency response, crosstalk, etc. is the easiest.  More elaborate measurements are possible, but require dedicated equipment. 

DAC Benchmark?

Reply #2

RMAA software to measure SNR, distortion, frequency response, crosstalk, etc. is the easiest.  More elaborate measurements are possible, but require dedicated equipment.

Thanks, just found it.

But i don´t really know what the stuff means,

24-bit. 48 kHz

-0.04. -0.11
+0.0. -0.0

This is the results i guess, is it good or bad?

DAC Benchmark?

Reply #3

Wikipedia is a great place to look up what things mean.  Alternatively, you can ask here, although wikipedia is probably faster and better. 

Its hard to say since you posted the numbers but not the labels indicating what those numbers refer to.  80.7 is pretty good for SNR, not so good for % THD.

DAC Benchmark?

Reply #4

Wikipedia is a great place to look up what things mean.  Alternatively, you can ask here, although wikipedia is probably faster and better. 

Its hard to say since you posted the numbers but not the labels indicating what those numbers refer to.  80.7 is pretty good for SNR, not so good for % THD.

True, but i prefer to be able to get a discussion and an answer if possible. It´s easier for me to understand more complicated stuff, as long as it´s not a simple answer.

And well, it´s written from Top to Bottom from how RMAA shows it, i wanted to get a log out of it, but i don´t know how to do it, and it crashes if i right click for some reason.

But i guess SNR means how low the signal can go until it becomes noise or something.

THD, isn´t that how much of % becomes disoriented from the original source?

I ran in MME and not Directsound if that matters*

DAC Benchmark?

Reply #5
And well, it´s written from Top to Bottom from how RMAA shows it, i wanted to get a log out of it, but i don´t know how to do it, and it crashes if i right click for some reason.

RMAA generates HTML webpages.  Is RMAA crashing or your web browser?

DAC Benchmark?

Reply #6

I don´t get any HTML, i just get a bunch of stuff in 5 slots. I can choose where to put it, which i did to slot 1.
I have saved the result in an .sav file, but i never got any kind of Webpage log.

It´s the Software which crashes when i am at the result with the 5 slots.

Edit: Found it!

Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB   -0.04, -0.11   Excellent
Noise level, dB (A)   -85.8   Good
Dynamic range, dB (A)   80.7   Good
THD, %   0.0047   Very good
THD + Noise, dB (A)   -73.6   Average
IMD + Noise, %   0.016   Very good
Stereo crosstalk, dB   -85.8   Excellent
IMD at 10 kHz, %   0.015   Very good

DAC Benchmark?

Reply #7

I don´t get any HTML, i just get a bunch of stuff in 5 slots. I can choose where to put it, which i did to slot 1.
I have saved the result in an .sav file, but i never got any kind of Webpage log.

http://audio.rightmark.org/downloads/RMAA%...9;s%20Guide.pdf

From the manual I'd guess you're hitting the wrong button by one place.

DAC Benchmark?

Reply #8
Yeah, i found it (edited the previous post).

Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB   -0.04, -0.11   Excellent
Noise level, dB (A)   -85.8   Good
Dynamic range, dB (A)   80.7   Good
THD, %   0.0047   Very good
THD + Noise, dB (A)   -73.6   Average
IMD + Noise, %   0.016   Very good
Stereo crosstalk, dB   -85.8   Excellent
IMD at 10 kHz, %   0.015   Very good
General performance       Very good

DAC Benchmark?

Reply #9
Those results are pretty good, but keep in mind that if you are using the DAC to directly drive a pair of headphones (that is without an amp), performance will be worse when the actual load is hooked up.  In that case, you would want to test by splitting the output between the line in and headphones to simulate normal use more directly. 

If you're just using the device as a DAC (and have a separate amp or powered speakers), then you are basically done.

DAC Benchmark?

Reply #10
Those results are pretty good, but keep in mind that if you are using the DAC to directly drive a pair of headphones (that is without an amp), performance will be worse when the actual load is hooked up.  In that case, you would want to test by splitting the output between the line in and headphones to simulate normal use more directly. 

If you're just using the device as a DAC (and have a separate amp or powered speakers), then you are basically done.

I currently only use it directly with my Headphones (though not the same connector, i use HD Audio connection from the motherboard to get it to the front panel).
But it´s the same sound card, built in.

But as i said in my other topic where i asked about Amps, i have now orderes Objective2 headphone Amp, so i should be set when i get them i guess:)
Though as i have read, my headphones HD 280 Pro, doesn´t seem to need amping, so i guess i won´t notice any real difference.