Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp-VIS-plugs in foobar (Read 168395 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp-VIS-plugs in foobar

Reply #50
Keep up the good work...

Reply #51
Thanks, I guess...

Still trying to figure out why I get weirdness if I seek twice really fast.

Figured it out.  I'm an idiot.  Again.

Reply #52
Looks like I'm too late to test your plugin, but I hope things are coming along nicely.

Reply #53
Okay, I fixed the bug that was causing problems with seeking or song-switching and, after a much longer period of time, fixed the bug caused by my fix.  As a result, I'm going to go against conventional wisdom and post a build made after 1:00 in the morning.

Notes.  Read them.
Binary.  Put it in your foobar2000 components dir.
Source.  It probably won't build for anyone else because compilers are spiteful creatures.

I really hope I got the crashing out this time.  I really do.

Reply #54
What else can I possibly say but...

Simply Awesome!  Thank you SO much.

Reply #55
WOW!

Reply #56
[EDIT]:  I fixed the seeking bug, but it'll be a little while before I repost the fixed build because I didn't realize foobar flushed all of the visualization plugins on seeks and I used to load the Winamp plugin DLL when rendering resumed after a flush.  I need a little while to come up with a new time to reload the DLL, since having to restart foobar to change plugins is far from elegant.

You could try an approach similar to vis_simple_spectrum - it stays alive for 2 seconds after flushing and only closes itself if playback doesn't start again within this time.

(link: simple_spectrum source)
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #57
Good job!  It's been a while since I've been able to use Milkdrop.

Reply #58
AWESOME  Nice job!
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #59
Looks great!

Do you have any idea of when you'll get the songtitles working ?

I've been waiting for a foobar2000 visualization plugin with songtitle support for quite a while now (hint)...
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #60
You could try an approach similar to vis_simple_spectrum - it stays alive for 2 seconds after flushing and only closes itself if playback doesn't start again within this time.

(link: simple_spectrum source)

Thanks, I'll look into doing that.
Do you have any idea of when you'll get the songtitles working ?

Not at the moment.  I have to decide between adding song titles, doing some cleaning-up of the code, doing my homework, and staring at pretty swirling colors (really hard to avoid doing this last one), so it may be a while before anything gets done.

Finally, I'd like to say thank you to hartwork for posting this topic and convincing me to fix my old code.

Reply #61
why wont my milkdrop move?? 
The window opens fine, but the vis doesn't move at all...

Reply #62
Hmm, that's probably a bug.

1) Do you see anything at all in the visualization window?  Like, does it draw something and then freeze like that, or does it never render anything at all?
2) Can you drag the MilkDrop window around?

Reply #63
It shows up fine, with the demiwindow text and all. Sometimes i see a small part of the vis (not really moving, just some static patterns) in the lower left corner of the window. Dragging the window works fine too.

Reply #64
It sounds like, for some reason, Milkdrop's not getting any data :/.  I guess you should try playing with Milkdrop's configuration and perhaps changing the preset by hitting 'h' or the Spacebar, but I'm not sure what's happening.  If messing with the settings doesn't do anything, things are going to get interesting because I can't reproduce the bug on my machine and it's probably going to take a lot of console-flooding debug builds to pinpoint what's causing the problem on yours.

I implemented the bridge to foo_winamp_spam as per hartwork's idea, but I'm holding off on a release until I figure out what WM_WA_IPC message number 611 is.  Milkdrop sends it every time it runs, but then doesn't bother to send any title-getting messages afterward because I don't handle the first message.  I wonder what's going on :/.

[EDIT]:  Well, I found out what's up with that message.  Apparently, if you want the REAL Winamp SDK, you have to do a forum search, since I don't see any Winamp 5.02 SDK on the NSDN pages.

Reply #65
After playing around for a while, this is all i get, and it seems to respond less and less, and stop responding at all after 10 secs or so.

Reply #66
downloaded your bacon plugin, put in components dir, downloaded milkdrop, (had to install it for winamp, grr), copied milk .dll to /bacon, started foobar, turn it on, found it needed some presets, copied them, it worked! 1st time. i was surprised.

is it syncing properly w/ the music? (i've no reason to believe it's not, just asking cos i can never see these things well).

Reply #67
@Gul:
Wow, that's really weird...  I have no idea what's going on.  I've never seen that happen before.

I guess all I can do now is see if I can duplicate your setup as much as possible.
So, here's a list of stuff I was able to come up with off the top of my head that might have anything at all to do with what's going on:

A)  What version of Windows are you running?
B)  What version of Milkdrop do you have?
C)
1.  Did Winamp ever do this to you?
2.  Did you copy vis_milk.dll, the Milkdrop directory, and vms_desktop.dll into the Bacon folder?  You need the Milkdrop dir to get the presets... though it looks like you did, since the Milkdrop visualization without presets doesn't look like what you have there.
D)
1.  Have you tried playing a variety of music, especially music with really obvious changes in dynamics (see my response to Smiff, below) ?
2.  Have you tried disabling ReplayGain?  I wonder if Milkdrop expects a lot of full-tilt, compressed dynamics :|.
E)  Have you tried wearing a hat?  It shouldn't do anything, but it can't hurt.

@Smiff:
It syncs tolerably well.  It probably could be better, but then I've never been good at seeing this myself.  The effect is more obvious if you have a song with loud transient hits surrounded by silence because then you can just see if the visualization response syncs with the loud noise.

Reply #68
I have a copy of Winamp installed just for visuals.  I regularly convert all my playlists over to .m3u just for this reason.  Now, Winamp is practically useless for me. 

A HUGE thank you.  Great work, keep it up!

Reply #69
A) What version of Windows are you running?
XP, SP1
B) What version of Milkdrop do you have?
1.04b
C) 1. Did Winamp ever do this to you?
I never really used winamp (used sonique since day one), but a few quick tests show up fine in winamp, and nothing like the bacon results.
C) 2. Did you copy vis_milk.dll, the Milkdrop directory, and vms_desktop.dll into the Bacon folder?
Yup. Copied it all into the right places, and named the folders the exact way explained in the notes
E) Have you tried wearing a hat? It shouldn't do anything, but it can't hurt.
Actually, i wore one all the time. Removing it now for further testing, will get back to you with results. Sorry for being the one to bring on the most pita bug 

(spelling edited)

Reply #70
I just installed Winamp 5 to get Milkdrop, did the necessary fannying around and... BINGO! Milkdrop in Foobar. Marvellous.

Good work there that man

Reply #71
Bugreport:

Started MilkDrop in desktop mode, then changed to full-screen, and then to windowed mode, and I got a small foo_vis_bacon_demiwindow. All files I need are in their place, I use WinXP SP1 and Milkdrop 1.04b.

Screenshot:here

Nice plugin, was 'bout time someone made this
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #72
@Gul:
Let's see if there's anything in your set up that's radically different from mine...

XP, SP1

Damn.
1.04b

Damn.
Actually, i wore one all the time.

Damn.... well, actually, I don't normally wear a hat, but my headphones are big enough to qualify.
Sorry for being the one to bring on the most pita bug

No, I don't mind.  If there's a bug, I need to fix it, so you're being a big help here.

I'll see about getting some debug builds made, I guess.

@kalmark:
Yeah, I've seen that happen.  I think Milkdrop may be trying to bring up that window, which isn't ever supposed to be shown... I noticed some example code in the Winamp 5.02 SDK that does that.  Thanks for reminding me of it, though.

Reply #73
debugged: foo_bacon is not foo_scroll compatible.. sorry, for being a dumbass and not doing a completely fresh install of foobar. Only deleted my cfg the first time.

btw. really cool plugin now

Reply #74
debugged: foo_bacon is not foo_scroll compatible..

That's interesting.  I downloaded foo_scroll just to test this and I haven't had any trouble with it, though I also haven't quite figured out what foo_scroll is for :|.  Oh, well, glad it works now .

As for the window popping up, I'm still now sure how stop it from happening if the plugin tries to raise it, but you can work around this by going into the Milkdrop settings and unchecking, "Minimize Winamp when going fullscreen."  That should keep Milkdrop from trying to restore the window when it returns from fullscreen mode.