Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Keyboard shortcut oddity (Read 2886 times) previous topic - next topic

Keyboard shortcut oddity

Like everyone I suppose, I have a preferred sorting order (which fb2k remembers) accessed by clicking on Edit -> Sort -> Sort by...

I sometimes will click on a column heading to sort differently, and to save myself some time I assigned Alt-S to that sequence. Strange thing is, it will not work. I mean, the dialog box appears properly as if I had clicked on Edit -> Sort -> Sort by..., and it shows my preferred Sort order, but pressing Enter or clicking OK does not actually re-sort the list. Making it "Global" has no effect.

As this is my first foray into keyboard shortcuts, am I missing something? As a test, I assigned Alt-C to "Check for Updates", and it works fine.

Thanks,

- Mark

Keyboard shortcut oddity

Reply #1
You probably highlighted nothing in your playlist, therefore the sorting is applied on nothing. Try selecting some items first or use Ctrl + A to highlight all before issuing the command.

Keyboard shortcut oddity

Reply #2
you shouldn't need to highlight all items but making sure the playlist has focus is important.

also, i'd suggest defining your own custom sort pattern under file>preferences>advanced>display>standard sort patterns. here you can add your own pattern. note it must be separated from the previous entry with a ;

Code: [Select]
name=%blah blah%;

now this command will appear on your sort menu and you can bind a shortcut directly to it, bypassing the need to spawn that dialog and clicking ok.

Keyboard shortcut oddity

Reply #3
I had already tried making sure the playlist had focus, because I know the Sort option is greyed-out otherwise...

I did not know about the option for defining Custom Sort Orders, I'm embarrassed to say, so thanks for that - great to know! But I still can't trigger it with a hotkey...am I crazy? I tried assigning other menu options to the same key combination, and they work fine - but nothing under the "Sort" command, even the pre-defined ones, will trigger.

Thanks very much.

Keyboard shortcut oddity

Reply #4
i'll just be one of this annoying people that says "it works for me...."

are you sure it's bound to the main sort menu and not the selection>sort menu?

Keyboard shortcut oddity

Reply #5
i'll just be one of this annoying people that says "it works for me...."

I hate when that happens!

Yes...I am really puzzled about this. I thought maybe it was something to do with Windows 8, but I pulled out my old XP machine,and I see the same behavior. I can't imagine what I am doing wrong, as I have no trouble assigning keys to any other functions.

Maybe one of my components is interfering with it somehow? I'm going to try removing them one-by-one (although I only have a few installed).

Thanks for trying to help, it is appreciated.

- Mark

Keyboard shortcut oddity

Reply #6

omg I am such an idiot -  - that was it. I didn't see it at first because I didn't even know you could do that and didn't fully understand what you were saying - when I clicked up on the menu itself, it wasn't an option because, duh, I only had one item highlighted in the playlist.

So all is well now, thanks very much, I'll go sit in the corner now.

- Mark