Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC Development Updates? (Read 4903 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC Development Updates?

Are there going to be be any more updates to FLAC? I was looking through jcoalson's posts and quite a while ago he mentioned that 1.2.2 would be released with a little fix. I know the current version is quite stable and all was just wondering if there are any improvements planned or even any small updates.

Reply #1
It would be nice if the warning when using the --keep-foreign-metadata switch were to be removed.
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #2
i've been wondering that too.
from a purely user perspective it's much more comforting to see a website updated with information of development than the rather static look flac's has been enjoying.
when i first started using flac less than a year ago i was waffling between it and wavpack simply because wavpack seemed to have much more development going on and i feared flac might fall by the wayside like shorten did.

Reply #3
Even if FLAC would fall by the wayside, you would still be able to convert your FLAC files into another lossless format without disadvantages, wouldn't you?
Same if there will ever be a more efficient FLAC encoder which assumed would be able to reduce file size by 10%  you'd be able to reconvert without a loss? Just wondering ...

Moderation: Removed unnecessary quotation of previous post.

Reply #4
FLAC is hardly likely to fall by the wayside now - there are too many hardware implementations which support it. For that alone, I am very glad as it is a good all round lossless codec.
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #5
So long as you have the codecs and a system to run them, you will be able to transcode lossless formats losslessly.  The only thing you need to worry about is the metadata (tag info, artwork, embedded cue sheets, etc.).  You need the proper tools to handle this and a system that can run them as well.