Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Which of the following is your favorite Pink Floyd album?

The Piper at the Gates Of Dawn
[ 0 ] (0%)
Ummagumma
[ 1 ] (1.1%)
Atom Heart Mother
[ 3 ] (3.4%)
Meddle
[ 4 ] (4.6%)
Dark Side Of The Moon
[ 20 ] (23%)
Wish You Were Here
[ 24 ] (27.6%)
Animals
[ 8 ] (9.2%)
The Wall
[ 19 ] (21.8%)
The Division Bell
[ 5 ] (5.7%)
Something else I didn't have space to include...
[ 3 ] (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Topic: What is the best PF album? (Read 13774 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the best PF album?

Yeh, so since everyone here seems to like the Floyd, why not have a poll about your favorite CD?

I tried to include all the "best" proper studio albums, and i'd ask that you not vote for a compilation by chosing "something else".

Reply #1
The Wall, followed by Dark Side and WYWH.

Reply #2
Wish You Were Here, followed by Animals, then the Wall.

(Edit: Wonder if somebody's favorite album is Obscured By Clouds or More?  )

Reply #3
Wish You Were Here because it was the first PF album I bought. I like them all though.

/off-topic
Something tells me this thread will be moved to the Off-Topic section.
/off-topic

Reply #4

Actually, it should have been started there to begin with.

Reply #5

Actually, it should have been started there to begin with.

Yes, you're so right.

Now, we're going have three Ping Floyd threads in the Off-Topic Section. Maybe someone should think about making a Pink Floyd Section. ;-)

Or, at least a specific "music/records/artists related" section would be a good idea. Somehow, music is with no doubt our key common point here at HA.

Reply #6
yeh, sorry... Forgot about the off-topic section

Please move it, mods!

Reply #7
My top ten Pink Floyd Albums:

1º) Wish You Were Here
2º) The Dark Side Of The Moon
3º) The Wall
4º) A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
5º) The Final Cut
6º) Animals
7º) The Division Bell
8º) P.U.L.S.E.
9º) Meddle
10º) The Delicate Sound Of Thunder
MPC: --quality 10 --xlevel (v. 1.15s) (archive/transcoding)
MP3:  LAME 3.96.1 --preset standard (daily listening/portable)

Reply #8
Wish You Were Here > The Dark Side of The Moon > The Division Bell

Reply #9
1) Ummagumma
2) A saucerful of secrets - The piper at the gates of dawn
3) Atom heart mother - Meddle
Rommel

Reply #10
i voted for animals because this album is composed! (wish you were here is the weakest to me; come on,flame me)
so i'd say animals-meddle (both sides of PF) then atom heart mother-DSOTM-ummagumma-piper-the wall.
in fact wish you were here isn't the weakest(far better than momentary lapse..but is this PF?) : i forgot obscured by clouds. lol.

edit: i forgot atom heart mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #12
i voted for animals because this album is composed!

Others aren't? 

Reply #13
i voted for animals because this album is composed!

Others aren't? 

that was in opposition to wish you were here, i meant there is an intention in the music, it's not just "coool".

Reply #14
Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On, followed closely by Maggot Br......um....

Oops...I thought this thread was about P Funk.

Reply #15
1) Atom Heart Mother
2) Dark Side of the Moon
3) Wish You Were Here
Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by spontaneously moving from where you left them to where you can't find them.

Reply #16
1.- Wish You Were Here
2.- Dark Side Of The Moon
3.- The Wall

I chose WYWH as my favorite because a long time ago I was in a cover band and we did some of "Shine" (not all of it, of course). And because the title song takes me straight back to a time when somebody I really loved was far away (not in a nuthouse, as in the song, but still, she kinda changed "cold comfort for change")
Dark Side is the first Floyd album I knew. I loved it. A friend of mine lent me the copy his dad bought. I had it for like 8 months, listened to it hundreds of times. Then he asked me for it. Funny thing is, that was the much-sought 1992 remaster. If I had bought it right away I would have it. But no, since I listened to it that much I though I could do without it for a little while. That little while turned to 5 years. I got the lesser 25th anniversary master.
The Wall I never have loved that much, I just has not got beneath my skin as the other ones. I love "In The Flesh" because I listened to it a lot when I got to med school and brings me back. I loved "Mother" when I heard Axl Rose singing it, then I found out it was a Floyd song, but I liked it with Guns better.
And I have always loved "Confortably Numb", it is one of my favorite songs. The guitar playing is on my all time top ten.
Those are my Floyd memories.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #17
1 - Meddle
2 - Animals
3 - The Final Cut
third to last - UmmaGumma
second to last - The Division Bell
last - Pulse
    B)         

Reply #18
Null vote since I haven't heard all of them.

Reply #19
  B)         

HA urgently needs an anti-smiley-abusage setting.

Something like preventing the engine from rendering more than 3 smileys per post. :B

Reply #20

If you're talking about studio albums... I'd have a hard time deciding. I love The Division Bell, but then I also love Wish You Were Here and A Momentary Lapse Of Reason. Depending on my mood and what I've been listening to lately, I could list any of them. I actually voted for Division Bell, although in 2 days time, things could look different...

My overall favourites are these (the order of 2), 3) and 4) is subject to change ):

1) Delicate Sound Of Thunder
2) The Division Bell
3) Wish You Were Here
4) A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
5) Dark Side Of The Moon

I'm starting to feel uncomfortable posting to all these threads - I'm posting more off topic messages than anything else here lately...  I'll get my act together and stop now, I guess.

Reply #21
If you want to go straight to results:
http://www.misterpoll.com/results.mpl?id=519363917

Interesting...Most of these results are predictable.

A 1/3 of the participants said that "no" PF album was their least favorite...makes sense, because they're all good.  IMO, *bad* Floyd is better than *good* anything else anyway.      Favorite cover...Shine On only got 1% (so far) of the votes!!!  That's the coolest cover of them all!!!  (even though I only saw it for the first time yesterday.)  2/3 of people seem to prefer Water's rejoining the band (as do I, even though I think he's kind of a jerk...PF needed his lyrical abilities).

And most people's favorite album *and* song is, of course "Wish You Were Here".  And most people in THIS poll so far have voted the same way.

Well, I'm not gonna!  Just because everyone else has!  (J/K)  I love WYWH, it's an outstanding album, but I've gotta say that my favorite of the albums I own so far is ...

[span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%']Animals[/span]

All the songs on it are outstanding, with "Dogs" being a musical masterpiece.  Water's words and Gilmour's guitar are at their very best.  I can't get the opening guitar outta my head many days, but I never get tired of it...

Now, we're going have three Ping Floyd threads in the Off-Topic Section. Maybe someone should think about making a Pink Floyd Section. ;-)

Or, at least a specific "music/records/artists related" section would be a good idea. Somehow, music is with no doubt our key common point here at HA.

ABSOLUTELY!!!  And a Led Zeppelin section, too.  And The Police.  And The Beatles.

And of course, then they'll need a "Musical Groups/Artists Forum Administrator".  Someone with a multitude of knowledge/interest in at least one of the most popular groups.  I vote for Roberto!  (Unless he'll be spread too thin with that *and* Rarewares *and* developing CDex.)   

Reply #22
, I just posted in the Money thread and used more than 3 smileys! I also voted in that poll, and was a bit surprised to see The Final Cut was the top least favorite album. I've also seen some people around here say they're not too crazy about it. Am I the only who likes it? 

A music forum isn't a bad idea, in the Misc. category. However I haven't seen too many threads about Led Zepplin, or The Police or The Beatles. For me, the only other band I could talk about as much as I talk about Pink Floyd is Queen.
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

Reply #23
Had to vote for Atom Heart Mother because I've heard it a mere billion times versus DSOTM and WYWH which number in the trillions.

Honorable mention: Studio side of Ummagumma is excellent...especially the Waters & Gilmour tracks

It's all good baby!

xen-uno
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus

Reply #24
I saw a funny Hallmark card that had a guy sitting at his desk at work on the front, with the caption being "Wish You Were Here..." on the front, and "...Instead of me" on the inside of the card.
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.