Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why IB not PHPBB? (Read 21115 times) previous topic - next topic

Why IB not PHPBB?

Dibrom, why have You decided to use Invision Board, not PHPBB.

Just asking...

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #1
Because iBF is a better board.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #2
Because iBF is a better board.

Thank You very much for great answer  (!)

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #3
This is a great answer!
It's simply just a better forum!

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #4
This is a great answer!
It's simply just a better forum!

Better? In what? Just wanna know...
I already know that there is no polish language pack for IB 1.0.1 or 1.1 available. So 1:0 for PHPBB (for me).

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #5
Visit the sites, compare features, and try both (if you can).
One thing for example, Invision Board has better administration/moderation interface.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #6
PHPBB: Creating polls in PHPBB is easier.
Larger community, more mods.

IB: has "report to moderator", it`s good.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #7
I mess around with forum software quite a bit.  I was even a mod over at phpBB.com for a short while.  phpBB is well designed, has a nice, simple interface for administration and is overall a very good program.  Having said that, iB just steals the show with its features.  It has so many more features and options than phpBB does.  The fact that phpBB is free along with the fact that it is easy and has support for multiple languages are all good points, and for a small board I would recommend it.  But for something like this site, iB is just the natural solution.
Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #8
I can`t use IB because it does not support polish language. I made forum for many people and some of them don`t uderstand english. Not much, but... Even people who can speak english want forum in their own language.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #9
I agree, the multiple language support is probably phpBB's best selling point.
Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #10
Well, obviously some polish person needs to translate it, [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']what about you? ...[/span]

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #11
My friend was working on a project to create the best board ever, and I think they did it : the fastest, and most configurable forum, however not the prettiest by default... and also GPL:
http://fud.prohost.org/

Unfortunately guys are a bit short on money to promote the board everywhere, but features are really
cool (I believe the list is incomplete, since they just don't care too much about writing all of them down on a page).
My endian is bigger than yours.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #13
PHPBB 2.2 testboard:
http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB22/index.php

Are you still suggesting that we switch or something?

I haven't seen a compelling reason to go to phpBB on any front.  What's more, iPB 1.2 (which is now in alpha on http://forums.invisionboard.com) is going to bring about some very cool stuff, like 100% xhtml compliance and a (mostly) tableless design, among other things.  I've been waiting for this sort of initiative in a robust forum software package for quite awhile.

If you're still not using iPB because of the language thing, iPB has to be one of the easiest pieces of software to translate.. it supports multiple languages and I think all you really have to do to take advantage of this is translate some strings in a uniform set of files.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #14
PHPBB 2.2 testboard:
http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB22/index.php

Are you still suggesting that we switch or something?

No, just found link and decided to post, so people can see also progress of other boards.

EDIT: I just found Polish language files and buttons...

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #15
Just installed IBF on Lycos (with Polish language)...
JESUS! This engine rocks! Now I know why IBF not PHPBB...

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #16
I have looked at both sites in detail and I have a board on phpbb 2..  could someone ~explain~ why Invision is better for admin features..  I haven't seen any features that I need, or really want..  but I feel I'm missing out on something I don't know about.  Is there anything I'm missing?
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #17
IBF has just more many features, including: translate almost(?) everything by admin panel, subforums with their own admins etc. It`s hard to tell you all features..

PHPBB has better (more possibilites) handling of "Word Censor" (able to change "dibrom" to "Dibrom", "OGG" to "Ogg" by word censor, IBF can`t do that).

Also IBF is much faster developed... so you can expect new, shiny version soon after current one

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #18
I have looked at both sites in detail and I have a board on phpbb 2..  could someone ~explain~ why Invision is better for admin features..  I haven't seen any features that I need, or really want..  but I feel I'm missing out on something I don't know about.  Is there anything I'm missing?

The best thing to do would be to setup a small test board with ipb 1.1.1 on it and just try it out for yourself.  The forum software is very easy to setup and, if you're interested in seeing what kind of features it offers, it's more than worth the effort.

What it mostly boils down to is that iPB offers more features (too many to list), and that the software is faster (in fact, I think it might be the fastest full-featured forum software out there) and uses less resources then phpBB.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #19
i would be willing to give it a try. i have phpBB2 at the moment. one thing that kind of hold me back is this:

Converting from existing forum software - $75

isn't there a simple script for doing so?

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #20
i have to take back that last remark. there seems to be a conversion tool after all.

Our FREE conversion tool
Using our convertor is very straight forward and for the web savvy it'll pose no problems at all. Simply upload the convertor files, configure the convertor and you're good to go.

You can download our free phpBB convertor free here

now i'm really thinking about testing it out a bit

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #22
Does IPB 1.2alpha fix compatibility with Mozilla?

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #23

I don't know what you mean. IPB 1.1.1 is totally compatible with Mozilla.
Anyway, you can test IPB 1.2alpha here: http://forums.invisionboard.com/
Juha Laaksonheimo

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #24

I don't know what you mean. IPB 1.1.1 is totally compatible with Mozilla.
Anyway, you can test IPB 1.2alpha here: http://forums.invisionboard.com/

Well, I don't think so:

Related thread which is now locked

It is a bug in IBF.

Wonder if they will ever fix it (since I can't post more info in that thread).

EDIT:
I made a feature request here - hope they will implement it