Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Home stereo suggestions? (Read 4348 times) previous topic - next topic

Home stereo suggestions?

My parents have a very old home stereo that is finally falling apart. They want to get a new one, and I offered to help. At this point everything is decided, except for the speakers. They are insisting on Bose. Now, I am mainly a headphone guy, so I know that the headphones Bose makes are grossly overpriced and they really suck. I don't know much about their speakers, but I am assuming the same thing goes for them as well. My question is, do you guys know what are some good brands to look for when selecting new speakers for a home stereo? It won't be surround sound or anything, just a standard 2.0 stereo. You can even post some suggestions for good speakers as well.

Home stereo suggestions?

Reply #1
My suggestion would be Infinity...
lame -V 0

Home stereo suggestions?

Reply #2
I have never known a serious audiophile to own Bose in 50+ years.  You can get better quality for the same price from other folks.  What you buy is a matter of personal preference.  Bose works best for not too critical listeners who want to just buy a package and plug it in.  YMMV   

This is my opinion, and not a humble one, either.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Home stereo suggestions?

Reply #3
have a look at Axiom,  seem to be a good value bang for the buck.

Home stereo suggestions?

Reply #4
Bose isn't so good. But recommending good speakers is tricky. There are so many factors to consider that it's best if you can lend out speakers and test them yourself. I know it's hard, but if you find a good, smaller store nearby that will lend you a few pairs of speakers over the weekend that they would recommend (might need to deposit a security), it can be more valuable than weeks of research on the internet. But don't try this at big stores, they will only look at you funny.

Home stereo suggestions?

Reply #5
My parents have a very old home stereo that is finally falling apart. They want to get a new one, and I offered to help. At this point everything is decided, except for the speakers. They are insisting on Bose. Now, I am mainly a headphone guy, so I know that the headphones Bose makes are grossly overpriced and they really suck. I don't know much about their speakers, but I am assuming the same thing goes for them as well. My question is, do you guys know what are some good brands to look for when selecting new speakers for a home stereo? It won't be surround sound or anything, just a standard 2.0 stereo. You can even post some suggestions for good speakers as well.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366111"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Er, what type of music, what sort of sound, what budget?

Home stereo suggestions?

Reply #6
http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/404infinity

Infinity Primus 150, Stereophile 2004 Joint Budget Products of the Year runnersup winner. A good choice for under $200 a pair, if you can find them for $100 a pair or so it's a steal.

If you can spend around $400, the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE seems to be another good buy.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/produ...170/cbm170.html

Review of the previous model, the CBM-170. CBM-170SE is the newer model that replaces the older non SE CBM-170.

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/ascend_cbm170.htm

Home stereo suggestions?

Reply #7
On the highend line:

stereolith

Home stereo suggestions?

Reply #8
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at these. What kind of sound, it's pretty much used for classical, the beatles, etc...

Home stereo suggestions?

Reply #9
i can recommend Nubert für low/mid price

Home stereo suggestions?

Reply #10
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bose speakers are really expensive and not worth the money, IMO.
I'd suggest [a href="http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/204klipsch/]Klipsch RB-15[/url]

Please also take a look at this helpful guide: http://stereos.about.com/cs/toppicks/tp/bestspsub400.htm
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]

Home stereo suggestions?

Reply #11
If they like bose there is probably A reason.

I would, in this case, reccomend the Klipsch RSX-5's with an RCX-4 center.

They are beautiful sounding mid-sized bookshelf speakers that I can only say compare to some full range speakers if you couple them with a decent klipsch subwoofer (RW-12?)

Please check into these products on klipsch.com they are small, BEAUTIFUL and not too expensive.

(Can be found for $270 a pair on ebay, the center channel going for $170.)

So if you were buying 4 sattalites you'd be spending $540 (270x2)
and a center, $170
as well as a subwoofer $320

$1030 in total.

Home stereo suggestions?

Reply #12
Sheesh, we should all look in awe at the Bose marketing machine...His parents 'insist' on Bose???  Wow.  I agree with many of the recommendations made so far.  Presumably, the idea is not to break the bank with regards to speakers, so some solutions from Klipcsh, Infinity, or Polk might make some sense...

Home stereo suggestions?

Reply #13
O, Canada, . . .  Paradigm is a great line of speakers.  Well researched, well made and some at reasonable prices.  There are no good bargain speakers.  There are good speakers; there are bargain speakers.  If you can get a listen to these I would do it.  I was very impressed, and I do not impress easily. 

And, I am a Yank, too.   
Nov schmoz kapop.