Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to compile a static oggenc-aotuv on a restricted machine (Read 9044 times) previous topic - next topic

How to compile a static oggenc-aotuv on a restricted machine

Hi everyone,

I'm sitting here on a debian powerpc-box on which I would like to use an aotuv-tuned build of vorbis-tools (oggenc). Unfortunately, I don't have root access and cannot install own compiled libs. Luckily, though, there is libogg-dev available on this box, so I think I may compile the aotuv-modified source of libvorbis, and  subsequently, the original vorbis-tools package from xiph.org.

Since I cannot install the modified libs from aotuv to /usr/lib/libvorbis-aotuv or something like that, I am in desperate need of the adequate commands for linking vorbis-tools against the already compiled libvorbis-aotuv libs. How do I do that? Please help!

Thanks!

Reply #1
Since I cannot install the modified libs from aotuv to /usr/lib/libvorbis-aotuv or something like that, I am in desperate need of the adequate commands for linking vorbis-tools against the already compiled libvorbis-aotuv libs. How do I do that? Please help!

• Compile and install aotuv to a temp directory with the following command:

Code: [Select]
    sh configure --prefix=/tmp/$USER/test --enable-static --disable-shared&&make&&make install

• Now compile and install vorbis tools with the following script (adjust --prefix to your liking):
    #!/bin/sh
    PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/tmp/$USER/test/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH&&./configure --prefix=$HOME&&make&&make install&&rm -R /tmp/$USER/test/

Reply #2

I'm obviously missing another package for compilation: the error displayed reads:

checking for OGG... yes
checking for VORBIS... no
checking for ov_read_filter... no
checking for library containing cos... -lm
checking for Vorbis... no
*** Could not run Vorbis test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means Vorbis was incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved Vorbis since it was installed.
configure: error: Vorbis needed!
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

What I do have is displayed in my first post ... what am I missing?

Reply #3
Can you put the lib you need in your own directory and add that to the lib path?

Reply #4
It appears I'm missing the Vorbis header files. Aren't those included in the aotuv-release? When I do install the libvorbis-dev package from Debian, everything works fine, but then I'm not using the respective changes, right?

Reply #5

I'm obviously missing another package for compilation: the error displayed reads:

checking for OGG... yes
checking for VORBIS... no
checking for ov_read_filter... no
checking for library containing cos... -lm
checking for Vorbis... no
*** Could not run Vorbis test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means Vorbis was incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved Vorbis since it was installed.
configure: error: Vorbis needed!
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

What I do have is displayed in my first post ... what am I missing?

Let me guess, you are trying to compile vorbis-tools from the Xiph site. That version needs the 1.3 libs, where as aotuv provides 1.2.1RC2. You need an older version of vorbis-tools. Also, did you follow all my directions? I have no problems compiling the statically linked version- I did it out of curiosity.

Reply #6
It appears I'm missing the Vorbis header files. Aren't those included in the aotuv-release? When I do install the libvorbis-dev package from Debian, everything works fine, but then I'm not using the respective changes, right?

The vorbis header files are included and installed with aotuv. I can send you the tarball of the vorbis-tools that I used if you want.

Reply #7
Yes, I did follow your directions. aotuv compiles flawlessly and is present in the tmp-directory where pkgconfig is referenced correctly.

Where would I go for older vorbis-tools-packages? Sorry for a maybe stupid question ... ?

Reply #8
Yes, I did follow your directions. aotuv compiles flawlessly and is present in the tmp-directory where pkgconfig is referenced correctly.

Where would I go for older vorbis-tools-packages? Sorry for a maybe stupid question ... ?

Send me a message with your email address. I will email you the tarball. Alternatively, you can get it form here:

http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/vorbis/

I just downloaded and tried the 1.2 version and it worked. The version that I tested originally was 1.3 which I got from the svn tree (which I haven't updated).

Reply #9
Just downloaded vorbis-tools 1.2.0 and tried to compile with your script; the error remains the same as quoted in my 3rd posting of this thread. Obviously, "VORBIS" cannot be found which is intriguing ...

The aotuv package was compiled flawlessly and resides in the /tmp/$myusername/ dir ... maybe the ./configure script called from your vorbis-tools-compilation script does not refer to this directory correctly? I'm no gcc fan so I'm lost in parameters ... is it possible that the lib path must be added somewhere?

Reply #10
The aotuv package was compiled flawlessly and resides in the /tmp/$myusername/ dir ...

Post your config.log for vorbis-tools.

maybe the ./configure script called from your vorbis-tools-compilation script does not refer to this directory correctly? I'm no gcc fan so I'm lost in parameters ... is it possible that the lib path must be added somewhere?

I am using the exact commands that I gave you- it is referenced correctly in my compile. Here is the relevant part from my config.log

pkg_cv_VORBIS_CFLAGS='-I/tmp/hoor/test/include  '
pkg_cv_VORBIS_LIBS='-L/tmp/hoor/test/lib -lvorbis -lm -logg  '