Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problems with Foobar on small displays (Read 3774 times) previous topic - next topic

Problems with Foobar on small displays

Foobar works well on a small 'netbook' computer, but with one major caveat .. the Preferences window doesn't show completely.  The screens on these small computers are 1024 x 600 and, unfortunately, the Preferences window has a height of 648 and can't be resized, so the lower buttons don't show.  Is there any way that window could be made resizeable?  Or, is there any way to reposition the window as needed?  Click and drag doesn't work... :-/

Reply #1
A few of my fast height measurements:
Vista Aero - 537px
XP Classic - 525px
Win7 non-Aero - 528px
Seems well below 600, what OS, which DPI settings and with which theme do you use? Windows rescales dialogs according to used font.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #2
Because the screen is so small, the font dpi has been increased to 115 dpi from the default 96 dpi.  Most of the programs I run on the little thing handle font scaling well, but I ocassionally run across one that has problems.  If the Preferences window was just a little bit smaller all would be well with Foobar.

Reply #3
And that won't happen, because all 3rd party components could assume for years that there is approx. 330x290 DLU of space for their preferences subdialogs.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #4
You could try a toy like Damnsoft's MoveME to alleviate your problem.
Yes, it is yet another (tiny) program to be run, but it allows you to scroll/resize/center any(?) window using keyboard shortcuts.

Reply #5
According to the intro page, MoveME does not have a 'scroll' option.
Using a 800*480 resolution NetBook I've seen quite a few apps with this issue (a fixed size pref dialogue box), and using AltDrag (which seems to have more or less the same function as MoveME) does not seem to solve it.
As far as I've seen making a dialogue box scrollable is app-related rather than windows-related. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong (or offered a workaround) as this issue has to do with quite a few apps as well as FireFox extensions.

Reply #6
> Because the screen is so small, the font dpi has been increased to 115 dpi from the default 96 dpi.

Change the dpi back to 96, I say.

It seems very odd to me that one has a small screen, then further reduces the available space by making the fonts (and various graphical elements) even bigger.