Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XLD Requested Features List (Read 201310 times) previous topic - next topic

XLD Requested Features List

Reply #25
Note that EAC does so using spoon's accuraterip DLL.  XLD can't do that (at the moment).

EAC also uses the DLL to check rips which XLD can do, so I don't see the dilemma.

@Pepzhez:
I'm talking about not being able to submit data from files on your hard drive, but being able to submit from rips from your optical drive and want to also note that these rips should only be allowed using drives with the correct offset correction.  Whether the titles are obscure is irrelevant.  The point is to prevent information from downloads and previous rips where there is absolutely no mechanism in place to verify that the data was extracted correctly by way of offsets and gap handling as well as other issues.  These are the "rules" which are already in place and have been for quite some time.  As an example, if you try to upload information using a virtual drive, your results are rejected and a ban is placed on your ID.

Reply #26
Note that EAC does so using spoon's accuraterip DLL.  XLD can't do that (at the moment).

EAC also uses the DLL to check rips which XLD can do, so I don't see the dilemma.

I think bhoar is getting at the point that XLD can't submit data.  Calculating the AccurateRip hash and retrieving the relevant hash file is trivial to implement.  Getting access to the submission process hasn't been publicized.  I believe Spoon has listed his reasons for this as maintaining the accuracy of the database, etc.

Reply #27
I have always held back on this kind of sub offset detection as it greatly increases the chances of collisions, hence the design for AR2. (for example if 2000 offsets are tested then the 1:4 billion collision is 1:4 billion / 2000). If the offset is kept constant across all tracks (ie only done once all tracks are ripped then there is less chances of collision).

The "Detect Offset" feature uses the Accurate DB as the reference.  I do not see the benefit of adding these corrected files if this could possible taint the accuracy of AccurateRip  DB when files are already contained in the DB.  It seems like a lot of risk just to increase the confidence levels.  Newly ripped CD added to AccurateRips DB make sense if the CD has never been added before or if the CD is already in the DB to increase the confidence levels. I think to have the ability to add a newly ripped CD is fine to increase DB if there is no risk of tainting the DB.  The key is not to taint AccurateRips DB or it will become useless as resource.  Above is quote from Spoon who is the developer of AccurateRip.

Reply #28
Yeah this brings up an excellent point.  Even though it's a great thing to be able to check your disc against an alternate pressing when yours doesn't exist in the database, I think it would be better to submit your pressing with the correct offset so that it will be available for the next person with your pressing.

Anyway if I'm just restating the previous point, my apologies.  I'm a bit slow today.  Pretend I'm just thinking out loud.

Oh and when I said "rules" earlier, I'm only speaking from the impression I've gotten after discussing AR over the past couple of years.  I don't pretend to speak for Spoon.

Reply #29
It would not be possible to submit to AR without the use of AccurateRip.dll, there are many 'attacks' on the database where rouge data is submitted (sometimes even doc files mangled into AR results), deliberate attempts to pollute the database, so we will not be opening up the submission details.

Reply #30
Apples global market share is 1.8% in the third quarter of this year. I seriously doubt if Mac users not being able to submit their XLD AccurateRip results to the database will negatively impact on the AccurateRip concept when 98.2% of the world will be able to submit their results.  The only way I see  a negative impact is if Mac users listen to some weird and obscure tunes, which is possible.  Such as Steve's Silicon Sonata, Cupertino California Concerto or the Apples Adagio for Strings!

Reply #31
For use as a ripper, I'd like an option for it to automagically query its databases for metadata, rather than having to be told to go look.

Also as a ripper feature, creating a directory for the tracks  would be a great help.

I realise in making these suggestions that XLD was first intended as a file converter, and it's only grown into being a ripper.

Reply #32
For use as a ripper, I'd like an option for it to automagically query its databases for metadata, rather than having to be told to go look.

Also as a ripper feature, creating a directory for the tracks  would be a great help.

I realise in making these suggestions that XLD was first intended as a file converter, and it's only grown into being a ripper.

Added your first suggestion to the list.  Please explain the creating a directory for tracks.  Not sure what you mean.

Reply #33
It would not be possible to submit to AR without the use of AccurateRip.dll, there are many 'attacks' on the database where rouge data is submitted (sometimes even doc files mangled into AR results), deliberate attempts to pollute the database, so we will not be opening up the submission details.

Off-topic: Have you logged the IPs? So can you elaborate what persons or organizations might be behind those attacks? Just random idiots or actually some bigger players?

Reply #34
Never looked at IP addresses, luckily the database importer seems to have automatically highlighed and purged all attacks so far.

Reply #35

SNIP

SNIP Please explain the creating a directory for tracks.  Not sure what you mean.

Sorry for lack of clarity. I meant what I think is a point on your original list, I now see:

"Logical output folder creation based on searched metadata. Example main folder=Artist, sub folder 1=Album, sub folder 2=codec type"

So I'm sorry for redundancy, too.

Reply #36

SNIP

SNIP Please explain the creating a directory for tracks.  Not sure what you mean.

Sorry for lack of clarity. I meant what I think is a point on your original list, I now see:

"Logical output folder creation based on searched metadata. Example main folder=Artist, sub folder 1=Album, sub folder 2=codec type"

So I'm sorry for redundancy, too.

No problem thank you for your input.

Reply #37
Here are some new features for XLD included in version Version 20080912 just released today.  I don't know what else to say!  I will try to updated the suggested features list today. Thanks tmkk! 
Code: [Select]
Version 20080912:
Automatic album art downloading feature now can be disabled from CDDB menu
Added option to modify a size of padding section in FLAC encoder
Added save button in Log window
Modified log format to show not only relative values but also absolute values for a real-time offset checking result
Absolute values can be used for the drive offset, and relative values can be used for fixing offset of existing files.
A real-time offset checking feature now can be used for the first and the last track
Note that detection will fail if the first or last 5 sectors contain non-zero samples.Version
20080911:
Fixed a problem of ALAC decoding with QuickTime 7.5.5
Version 20080910:

Fixed a problem for reading an enhanced CD (CD-extra)
Version 20080909:
Fixed an endian-swapping issue on some environments and CDs
Version 20080908:
Implemented a feature to check offset in the ripping stage
Now XLD performs a real-time offset checking while ripping, when the CD is available in AccurateRip DB. The result is written in the log if found. Note that this feature is not available for the first and the last track.
Version 20080907a:
Improved performance of offset detection
Supported displaying all candidates for the offset correction value
Version 20080907:
Added feature to fix a wrong offset of the existing files using AccurateRip database
You can detect and fix an offset from "Detect Offset" and "Save with Offset Correction..." in File menu, after opening a file (with cuesheet) that you want to fix.
Separated drift errors from skip errors in cdparanoia statistics
Added option to treat AccurateRip mismatch as an inconsistency in log
Modified loading method of Sparkle.framework to support OSX 10.3
Version 20080906:
Sorted character encoding pop-up menu by alphabetical order
Version 20080905:
XLD now shows "[AR]" string in the titlebar of the window when a disc is available in AccurateRip DB
Version 20080904:
Added option to avoid testing when the track exists in AccurrateRip DB
Supported creating a cue sheet for separated track files
You can choose type in the save dialog. Note that currently XLD can't read this type of cue sheet.
Version 20080902:
Fixed a problem in ALAC decoder
Version 20080830:
Added option to test before copy
Version 20080829:
Added option to veryfy suspicious sectors
Version 20080828:
Added option to save a log file automatically
Improved progress view to show a speed and remaining time
Version 20080827:
XLD now automatically recognizes inserted/ejected CD
Supported embedding album art in WavPack encoder
Fixed to ask output directory if the default directory is not writable
Version 20080826:
Fixed to report correctly in case AccurateRip doesn't have informations for all tracks
Version 20080825:
Fixed several bugs in cdparanoia routine according to the latest release
Fixed UTF-8 NFD issue when looking up Gracenote database
Fixed MusicBrainz query failure on PPC Mac
Version 20080824:
Fixed a problem that XLD sometimes failed to find a CD in AccurateRip database
Version 20080823:
Added feature to calculate an AccurateRip hash for the existing files
Choose "Check file with AccurateRip" from the File menu.
Fixed again an AccurateRip hash calculation for the first track
Sorry for confusion... I hope this will be the solution...
Version 20080822a:
Fixed an AccurateRip hash calculation for the first track with pregap
Version 20080822:
Fixed an AccurateRip hash calculation for the first and last track
Improved tag editor
Supported automatic update using Sparkle

Reply #38
Now you need real-time offset adjustment for AccurateRip verification (EDIT: but not for the files written to your drive, which should be offset according to the correction currently entered into XLD) so that you don't have to re-rip with a different correction, or apply a correction to previously ripped files.

Reply #39
•   Added option to modify a size of padding section in FLAC encoder

So what is all that about? I notice that the default in this new XLD FLAC padding feature is 4kb. Is there a reason to keep it at 4kb when I encode to FLAC?

Reply #40
Notice that the feature suggestions are disappearing form beneath the Feature Suggestions heading at the top of the list (located 1st post 1st page of this thread).  Several suggested features are now placed in the middle of the list under the Addition of Suggestions  and Development Explanations heading as newly incorporated features or explanations about  a suggested feature and its status of being added to the XLD project.  The feature suggestions list is getting smaller.  tmkk is hammering away at this list!

Note this post was edited.  The Feature Suggestion List was removed so members will not be become confused where to locate it in this thread.  The Feature Suggestion List will be the first 1st post 1st page in this thread always.  Thanks.

Reply #41
Great news on September 11, 2008 a version of CD was released.  This sounds like an upgrade to suggest for XLD.
Read the info below.  Finally it seems like the drive cache problem may fixed!

cdparanoia 10.2 final released

10.2 is a substantial upgrade release over 10.1.

10.2 includes a raft of minor bugfixes in device scan, device autosense and the transport layer.

More importantly, 10.2 addresses serious CDROM drive cache modelling deficiencies that exist in earlier versions. In a nutshell, a sizable fraction of modern drives exhibit new and exciting readahead cache abuses/bugs of which older versions of cdparanoia were not fully aware. This means that skips and cracks could slip through the cache management strategy of older versions completely undetected. 10.2 fully addresses and models these new cache behaviors.

10.2 also includes a cache analysis option (-A) to do a slow and thorough offline check of the drive's cache behavior. The feature also dumps a detailed log to assist in debugging should either the test or cdparanoia's ripping go awry in any way. After all... better thoroughly safe than sorry.

Reply #42
10.2 also includes a cache analysis option (-A) to do a slow and thorough offline check of the drive's cache behavior. The feature also dumps a detailed log to assist in debugging should either the test or cdparanoia's ripping go awry in any way. After all... better thoroughly safe than sorry.

I wonder if the cache analysis option can be made to run on OS X? This would be a quite useful setup feature for XLD, to say the least.

I did just download the cdparanoia 10.2 src. I will see if the -A option will work from the command line.

I agree with Pepzhez and will add it to the suggested feature list.

Reply #43
These are two features I already talked with tmkk, and he already said will be implemented as soon as other more important ones are done. I'm only posting them here so that more people can keep track of them:

1. Add option to automatically save a M3U file, for the folks who need them.

2. Add option to "Always ask" in the Output Directory preferences...

Reply #44
These are two features I already talked with tmkk, and he already said will be implemented as soon as other more important ones are done. I'm only posting them here so that more people can keep track of them:

1. Add option to automatically save a M3U file, for the folks who need them.

2. Add option to "Always ask" in the Output Directory preferences...

Thanks MacMelo thats why this thread exists!  I will be happy to update the list.

Reply #45
Just my general 2 cents: it was just a matter of time until an open source ripper came along that would most likely develop faster and more user-oriented than either one of the current two closed-source alternatives.

I still don't understand why Andre does not open his code - what's the point in keeping it locked and unchanged when he is not earning money with it anyways? XLD will surpass EAC eventually and hopefully gets ported to Windows soon.

Closed source in audio ripping won't last long. Transparency is key here, just like it is with audio codecs, which is why FLAC will always lead head-and-shoulders over closed-source attempts such as TAK... .

Let's hope Andre wakes up one of these days... .

ff

Reply #46
XLD will surpass EAC eventually and hopefully gets ported to Windows soon.

Not without pointer support, it won't.

EDIT: <Notices the following post has avoided this one>

It is *highly desirable* that XLD incorporate the (-A) option!
It would seem unnecessary.

Windows Ripping Brigade

Zealots wear blinders.  It's particularly funny to see that they're not noticing the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

Reply #47
From the cdparanoia news page:

It is *highly desirable* that XLD incorporate the (-A) option!

XLD will surpass EAC eventually and hopefully gets ported to Windows soon.

Correction: XLD will surpass EAC in about six more minutes and hopefully never gets ported to Windows, because if it *did* get ported to Windows, how would I then be able to childishly revel in the Windows Ripping Brigade's bad karma that they brought upon themselves by spending the past decade penning snarly "Why don't you buy a Wintel machine/use Wine/use Parallels/buy a copy of Windows; why should André port his program to an inferior OS, anyway?!" responses every time some hapless, innocent individual asked "What is the Mac equivalent to EAC?"

Just kidding.

(Sort of.  )

Reply #48
Anyway Pepzhez, XLD is clearly a dead project as there hasn't been an update for at least 5 hours.

Reply #49
Anyway Pepzhez, XLD is clearly a dead project as there hasn't been an update for at least 5 hours.

5 hours!? Crap. Doom. Past few weeks for naught. Might as well mow the yard.