Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: STX 2 with K712, good choice ? (Read 2347 times) previous topic - next topic

STX 2 with K712, good choice ?

Hello, i'm new to this forum, and french (so excuse my poor english xD).

I have a question about a set i own for about 1 week. I have a Asus STX 2 and a AKG k712Pro. I'm really happy about this card, quite an improvment from my MB chipset, and this headphone is just PERFECT for me, cristal clear sound, not too bassy, balanced but not flat...

My questions is about the 1/8 impedance rule.. The STX 2 headphone output is 10ohm, and my headphones is 62ohm impedance. So the rule is break (by a little, but still..) and i'd like to know if there is anything audible.. I don't have other AMP to compare with.

I did some research and find this topic : https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,106361.0.html

But the results are not available anymore, and my understanding of english not perfect, event if i understood that some opinion tend to say the difference in frequency response is not audible..

Anyone can confirm wether or not my set is good ? If the 1/8 is so important than I should upgrade to another AMP ?

(I also will change my opamps (even if 8920 are quite good) by muses 01/02 if necessary)

Re: STX 2 with K712, good choice ?

Reply #2
Anyone can confirm wether or not my set is good ? If the 1/8 is so important than I should upgrade to another AMP ?

No you don't have to.  We're talking of a less than 1 dB change pass 16 KHz frequencies.

(I also will change my opamps (even if 8920 are quite good) by muses 01/02 if necessary)

Don;t do that, there's no need, the STX already performs very well, adding a ''better'' 'opamp can even lead to them oscilating, and you're not even changing the opamp that drives the headphones (only the gain opamps).

---------------------------------------------------------

You can always do a loopback to determine if the card is performing nice if you still have doubts.

Get a Y 3.5mm splitter,  do a loopback and perform an abx test. That is using a Y 3.5mm splitter, and record the card while driving the headphones (Card -> Splitter -> Headphones and card's line input), time match the recorded file with the original one, and compare the two using abx comparator.

Reply #3
Thank you very much  ;)

Reply #4
Guys, just so i don't create another topic for a related question.. The AKG 712 is 62 ohm. Can i set my STX II card gain to 64-300 ohms without damage it ? The <64 gain set is ok, but sometimes i like to really push volume ^^