Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Getting Foobar2000 to play DSD (DSF) files (Read 53876 times) previous topic - next topic

Getting Foobar2000 to play DSD (DSF) files

NativeDSD audio offer on their website https://www.nativedsd.com/ the ability to test and also buy DSD music files.

One of the s/w apps they suggest is compatible for playback of .dsf music files is Foobar2000.

I downloaded Foobar, selecting the default download v1.3.8 but it does not recognise or "see" the .dsf files. The software does see my standard .wav files.

Can anyone advise me what I should do to configure Foobar to work with DSD (.dsf files)?

Re: Getting Foobar2000 to play DSD (DSF) files

Reply #3
Relax guys. FB2K unable to play native DSD files. It just converts them to PCM. Tested, verified, proved. Try JRiver.

Reply #4
Aren't you a weird one. Also mistaken. foobar2000 itself doesn't support DSD except in WavPack but with foo_input_sacd you can output native DSD to the DAC, if you so please.

Reply #5
Relax guys. FB2K unable to play native DSD files. It just converts them to PCM. Tested, verified, proved. Try JRiver.
As Case noted you can easily play native DSD.  Perhaps your misinformation comes from a misunderstanding about DoP.  With either the ASIO proxy or the newer foo_input_sacd versions you can wrap DSD in DoP to send it to your DAC to play DSD.  Even tho DoP looks like PCM the unmangled DSD bits are simply wrapped in a PCM wrapper and most DSD DACs can unwrap them and play the bit perfect DSD bits with no PCM conversion upstream (from foobar2000 or whatever.)