Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Recommended Helix MP3 encoder settings for casual listening? (Read 1973 times) previous topic - next topic

Recommended Helix MP3 encoder settings for casual listening?

What are recommended Helix MP3 encoder settings for casual listening?

With LAME. I always use "lame.exe -V 4 --noreplaygain inputfile [outputfile]" for casual listening.

What are corresponding settings for Helix MP3 encoder?

Re: Recommended Helix MP3 encoder settings for casual listening?

Reply #1
Hi there,

LAME and the Helix MP3 encoder are completely separate MP3 encoders, so things will only match approximately. One would need proper listening tests to determine a somewhat precise mapping.

As a starting point, this might work:

Code: [Select]
hmp3 input.wav output.mp3 -V75 -HF2 -F18000

Reply #2
Hi there,

LAME and the Helix MP3 encoder are completely separate MP3 encoders, so things will only match approximately. One would need proper listening tests to determine a somewhat precise mapping.

As a starting point, this might work:

Code: [Select]
hmp3 input.wav output.mp3 -V75 -HF2 -F18000

These settings work great. Thanks.

Reply #3
You're welcome! Just out of curiosity: What made you look into the Helix MP3 encoder? Encoding speed?

Reply #4
I guess it's sound quality at low bitrates according to different tests)
Opus VBR 256 + SoX

Reply #5
You're welcome! Just out of curiosity: What made you look into the Helix MP3 encoder? Encoding speed?
Sound quality at -V75 bitrate range. I really like the way MP3's created by this encoder sound.

Reply #6
Ah, thanks for elaborating! I think -V75 should be around 160 kbps - and I think that Helix at that bitrates should indeed fare pretty well.