Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Control system volume instead of foobar volume levels (Read 1726 times) previous topic - next topic

Control system volume instead of foobar volume levels

Hey guys.

Is there any way where I could switch the way foobar controls the audio? So what I want is that all volume control in foobar, whether it's by keyboard shortcut or by volume slider or whatever it would be, would be controlling system volume, not the actuall foobar application volume. So if I have a volume slider in foobar, and I changed the system volume to 30% and then run foobar, I want it to show the slider third way through. If I then change it to 70% I want my system volume level to reflect that. Essentialy I want foobar application volume to be sticked to 100% at all times, and control system volume instead.

I'm running an old version of 1.3.8 of foobar btw.

Re: Control system volume instead of foobar volume levels

Reply #1
Your request makes no sense. Remove volume control from the UI and disable multimedia keyboard handling and your keyboard's volume buttons will alter system volume. Or alternatively use whatever volume knob your hardware has.

Reply #2
I detest programs that change the system volume, and I detest them even more if they don't reset the volume when they're closed. Now and then I find myself wondering where the volume went while watching a video etc. Then I remember... I used "Program X" earlier and it turned the system volume down when I adjusted it's volume.

Reply #3
Your request makes no sense. Remove volume control from the UI and disable multimedia keyboard handling and your keyboard's volume buttons will alter system volume. Or alternatively use whatever volume knob your hardware has.
That's because I didn't want to write an essay as to why I need it, but get straight to it.

I'm using a remote app, that controls foobar. It can only control via slider the foobar volume, not the OS volume, but since I'm controling my volume in all the apps by the system volume, I would like to have any alteration in the volume inside that app to affect my system volume, rather than foobars volume levels. I hope that clears it up.

And just to be upfront with the follow up question, yes I do know it should rather go that the app is controling the system volume and not to change the way foobar behaves, but in this topic I was not asking about this solution.

I detest programs that change the system volume, and I detest them even more if they don't reset the volume when they're closed. Now and then I find myself wondering where the volume went while watching a video etc. Then I remember... I used "Program X" earlier and it turned the system volume down when I adjusted it's volume.
All fine and cool with me. But I did not say I want to force this on everybody. All I've asked whether there is a way to do it. That's it.

Reply #4
Hey guys.

Is there any way where I could switch the way foobar controls the audio? So what I want is that all volume control in foobar, whether it's by keyboard shortcut or by volume slider or whatever it would be, would be controlling system volume, not the actuall foobar application volume. So if I have a volume slider in foobar, and I changed the system volume to 30% and then run foobar, I want it to show the slider third way through. If I then change it to 70% I want my system volume level to reflect that. Essentialy I want foobar application volume to be sticked to 100% at all times, and control system volume instead.

I'm running an old version of 1.3.8 of Foobar btw.
Soyo did you ever figure this one out? BTW your question is very valid. Waste of time when people are trying to convince you your point doesn't make sense... The reason why I would want this "feature" is so that Foobar would control the digital Volume level of the DAC itself (the Dragonfly for example) even when it is NOT the default playback device in Windows....Surprised no components are available to do this...Another Audiophile software does it really well..

Reply #5
Hey imeric

I've contacted the dev and he told me this:

"It is not perfect, but you can use 'send shortcuts' menu.
Please try 'Volume Up' or 'Volume Down' to control system volume. That's all available for now not updating fb2k components.
Hope it helps!!!
Thanks.”

Not ideal, but works so I live with that.

Cheers