Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What GM module for foo_midi under Windows 7/8? (or any other idea?) (Read 2273 times) previous topic - next topic

What GM module for foo_midi under Windows 7/8? (or any other idea?)

Hi everyone,

we used to play midi files thanks to foo_midi under Windows XP (with Hypercanvas, VSC,...).
But these plugins are not compatible with Windows 7.
There are very few GM modules now, and Halion Sonic 2 (the very good latest module from Steinberg) is not accepted by foo_midi.

Present-time users, could you please tell me what VST plug-in you use???

Thanks a lot for your help....

Reply #1
Yamaha S-YXG50.

Reply #2
Hi Mudlord,

Thanks for your answer. We tried it this morning and... nothing happened. (The installation seemed OK, but no trace then).

And we even managed to crash foobar badly trying to use the bassmidi feature, after that even after restart it didn't want to play the "regular" audio files anymore (Unrecoverable playback error: Unknown error code (0x8889000A)).

Do you have any idea why the recent Halion Sonic 2 doesn't work on foo_midi?
It is recognized, the windows opens itself when we hit "configure", the channels are set up but when we try to play a midi file nothing comes out.

Do you think that it would help installing your bassmidi driver?

I hope I'm not bothering you...

Thanks Again!!!

Reply #3
VSTs that are loaded into foo_midi wont be helped by kode54's and I's BASSMIDI driver.
Sounds like you are having major problems, I bet kode54 would be able to help since he is writing foo_midi.

Not sure how the unrecoverable playback error will occur.

And nope, no idea on why Sonic 2 fails to load. Is it DRM protected? If so, with what protection?

Reply #4
Hi Mudlord,

Thanks for your answer again. Sonic 2 is protected with an e-licenser dongle.
But usually when there is a problem with the autorisation, it totally refuses to open its window.
We tried to use it in foo_midi while running as VST plugin in Cubase or as standalone, but it doesn't help.
Too bad...

These days it seems that the other few GM modules that can be found are DXi modules (and they are not as good!!!).

Reply #5
iirc kode54 indeed allowed dxi modules to load in the past. I think he disabled that because the code required to load them was too bloaty.

Reply #6
Hi Mudlord,

Thank you for your answer again.

We can't find any solution on our side. We will have to do without foobar for the midi files.
(Thank God, for the midi files only!!!!)

Anyway, thank you for assisting us in that matter!

Reply #7
Hi again,

for those wondering, we finally managed to play midi files in foobar, without vst plug-in, using soundfonts and BASSMIDI:
The soundfont come from here: http://midkar.com/soundfonts/index.html
We installed Spider Player as advised there, and all worked well. And this soundfont is astonishingly musical for general use (though other GM soundfonts may be more accurate for some classical/chamber music).
We then came back to foo_midi, set it on BASSMIDI, set the path to the soundfont in the dedicated window and guess what....
IT WORKED!!!!!!!

I still don't know why it didn't work before, but nevermind.
It's a relief to be able to use Foobar's database to handle our midi files collection.

Thanks again to Mudlord for his support, and to Kode54 for this great plugin....