Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: new? high quality download site (Read 8598 times) previous topic - next topic

new? high quality download site

so check out http://bleep.com/ which offers 320kbps mp3 downloads and a few flac files (according to their faq section, more flac to be added), and I have even heard of some of these artists!  Thoughts anyone?
combining a love for music with fault tolerant server technology since 1998.

Reply #1
The site claims buying from them instead of illegal networks supports the artists... I expect kind of like mp3tunes -- the fact they let you browse by label also seems to indicate they've reached agreements with different labels.

Bravo on hq no-DRM, legal downloads, but I must say... the site's "look and feel" SUCKS!  Wow... it's just about the clunkiest interface I've ever used, super tough to get a feel for the artists & music types available, as there's no way (that I can see) to browse by genre, etc.

I expect that, with so many easy places to shop out there, their "no-DRM" selling point won't spell success unless they do some major facelifting!

Reply #2
I just discovered BLEEP for myself and now found this thread. According to their FAQ the mp3s you can download from there are LAME aps encoded (YAY!). The bleep player lets you preview complete tracks in full quality -- it fades out every 30 seconds but you can click the play button again to hear the rest of the song or seek to a position of your choice.

Since I bought an album on TuneTribe.com yesterday (you get 192 kbps CBR LAME MP3s there) I checked bleep.com whether they have the same album available and how much it costs. On TuneTribe albums usually cost around  £8 (EUR 12). The album I bought costs on bleep.com EUR 10. Seperate tracks are also cheeper on bleep.com.

I guess I'll try bleep.com next time

edit: maybe the thread should be moved to general music or something?
they sell FLACs but most of the catalogue can only be downloaded as MP3s
We also sell FLAC lossless audio for some very select releases, which we are looking at extending across a wider selection of catalogue.

edit2: at least the previews sound better than on most sites. probably 24 or 32 kHz mono

Sebastian

Reply #3
the lossless stuff on bleep is kind of expensive only being a few £ cheaper than the cd's on there shop at warprecords and they only have the reasonabbly easy to find stuff lossless (autechre, some BOC), would be nice if they would update there whole catalog to lossless.

I usually buy mp3's of vinyl i have (or cant find) to save me ripping them as a dont mind paying a few £ to save myself the effort and the stuff from bleep is better quality than i can rip to anyway (better than any vinyl rips i have heard but then doubt bleep are actually ripping from vinyl).

Reply #4
Bleep is a child of Warp records, their websites always sucked, but as the name claims, WARP are reasonable people, so the offer decent quality and no drm shite. Of course they have mainly electronica. ersonally I think tracks are too expensive.

But hey, Warp is pretty dead imho, as IDM is... No more innovation, ae, rdj, boc, []pusher is all good ole times... it's past, and all the warp veterans like me are beyond 30... I think the scene is dying...

Reply #5
I'm currently more into <label>Ninja Tune</label> stuff (Fink, Jaga Jazzist, The Cinematic Orchestra, ...) (less 'electronica/idm' more 'nu-jazz')

Sebastian

Reply #6
Yeah beep as been around for quite some time, heard about it about a year ago now from my friends at Bunker Records & Creme Organisation. It's nice to see Clone in the list, but tbh I don't think I'll be buying mp3's very quickly.

I have too much fun ripping vinyl to flac myself

I'm not to sure if I agree that IDM is dying out though. Plenty of freaks out there who still listen to squarepusher/aphex twin.. We gotta keep denying them access to our DC Hub because we want electro lovers not braindancers hehe. We deny at least 5 people per day.. So it's definitely not dead.
[..:: West Coast Electro Sound of Holland ::..]

Reply #7
I think this site is great, it's got a real boutique feel to it, a bit clunky I agree, geared more for people who know exatly what they want than for browsing and discovering new music (though being able to preview entire tracks is ++).  While born to (and still run by) Warp Records, it's since expanded to include some pretty heavyweight labels in indie (Thrill Jockey), hiphop (Quannum, Anticon, Def Jux, Stones Throw) and electronica (Ninja Tune, Merck, Ghostly).  As noted by landy, the fact that they sell digital downloads of some vinyl-only releases is pretty sweet.

While not without it's imperfections, I welcome sites like this that are legal, sell non-DRM'd music (hq Lame at that), and sell lossless (a work in progress).

@squeller: Warp records dead?  IMO Jimmy Edgar, Prefuse 73, Jamie Lidell released some great music recently, and Ae & BoC still do it for me.  Let us agree to disagree. 

@sebastian: peep the avatar!  New Daedelus album =

Reply #8
But hey, Warp is pretty dead imho, as IDM is... No more innovation, ae, rdj, boc, []pusher is all good ole times... it's past, and all the warp veterans like me are beyond 30... I think the scene is dying...

Well, I have to agree that IDM scene now is far from its past grandeur. Nothing really new in the past 2-3 years (except for Autechre's recent experiments maybe, but I think they're drifting too far from the human world).
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #9
To me jamie lidell and whoever is not warp. to me warp is their roots. most success they've had with sweet exorcist, ae, rdj, []pusher, boc, plaid. Last rdj survival was windowlicker to me. I mean you can't top "on" or "ventolin". drukqs and his acid stuff was crap. last natural ae was confield. I reckon ae are no more vitally doing music. maybe only if they need money. no news on ae. their era ended after confield definitely. unfortunately. untilted was just like kids on fl studio. I think tom jenkinson with his ultravisitor or venus#17 still has ideas, ae and sooner rdj are burned out.

Murcof (ok, not warp) was pretty promising, but i think his star is falling.

idm has no more potential to surprise us.

However. I'm 34, I'm old. I'm into classical music mostly now... A good alternative.

BTW. I played []pusher-Steinbolt on a party a month ago. Loud and dirty. A good plan to sending people home

Reply #10

I hate this stupid "scenes". I like IDM and listen to different artists centrally Squarepusher, Mouse On Mars, Venetian Snares, Autechre, etc. Only in Britain do the artist/DJ's need to come up with these new terms every two years to describe the music they are producing 

I'm currently more into <label>Ninja Tune</label> stuff (Fink, Jaga Jazzist, The Cinematic Orchestra, ...) (less 'electronica/idm' more 'nu-jazz')

Ninja Tune is a cool label 
budding I.T professional

Reply #11
FWIW: The preview-streams bleep.com sends are 44100 Hz, mono, MP3 at VBR (70-90 kbps, no xing vbr header frame). Appearently the Flash plugin asks the host application (in my case Firefox) to simply get a HTTP stream of the mp3 file to be played. Depending on your browser settings this file might get cached somewhere.

Sebastian

Reply #12
oink

Reply #13
http://www.jamendo.com/

Free Music. Available in both mp3 and Ogg Vorbis.
Zune 80, Tak -p4 audio library, Lossless=Choice

Reply #14
Gow, that's a P2P site. It's neat, but it isn't legal. Edit: I'm an idiot

IDM / Electronica: How can a genre of music be "dead" when there are more new artists and albums every month than you can shake a stick at? IMHO the problem is that there's too much of it. I like the genre, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend all my free time finding the good stuff from the haystack of "me too" albums.

Reply #15
Gow, that's a P2P site. It's neat, but it isn't legal.

P2P isn't per definion illegal. The site linked seems to be legitimate.

Reply #16
audiolunchbox.com is a pretty decent site for legit lame vbr mp3s.  I've been using them for a couple of years now -- a good variety of most indie stuff.

Reply #17
Gow, that's a P2P site. It's neat, but it isn't legal.

P2P isn't per definion illegal. The site linked seems to be legitimate.

I apologize, I didn't look closely enough. It's all creative commons / free release music. My bad.

Hrmm, that's actually a pretty neat site. Nice that they offer both mp3 and high-bitrate Ogg. Much easier to browse than the music at archive.org, but we'll have to see if the talent quality will be good enough to gather momentum.

Reply #18
Bleep is a child of Warp records, their websites always sucked, but as the name claims, WARP are reasonable people, so the offer decent quality and no drm shite. Of course they have mainly electronica. ersonally I think tracks are too expensive.

What about Jackson & His Computer Band?