Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS#8] No "Fade on seek", "Fade out", "Fade  (Read 3343 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS#8] No "Fade on seek", "Fade out", "Fade

I play my music files with the "foo_out_asio" component and ASUS Xonar Essence ST ASIO output. The "Fade on seek", "Fade out" and "Fade on pause" has no function.
Why?
Is it possible to change something of it's behaviour.

The sound with Asio is much better. There is a Benchmark DAC connected with the S/PDIF out.

Reply #1
Fade only works with DirectSound.

ASIO is almost only for composing music.
Many topics exists about the sound quality.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #2
Thank-you Andreasvb.
For me is Asio better because it's not Asio4All.
Xonar Essence ST ASIO driver for Windows XP allow auto sample rate adjustment (not conversion) and bitperfect output.
1. To keep the ASIO stream bit-perfect, the following two rules apply:
(1) The ASIO stream has higher priority of using DMA buffer than other streams.
    That is, when the ASIO stream is played, other streams cannot be played.
(2) No volume control (K-Mixer) is available for the ASIO stream.
2. When there are more than two ASIO applications running, only one application
  gets the right to use the hardware resource. This is based on “first come,
  first service” rule.
I hope this explain why this Asio driver is better than DirectSound.

Why Fade only works with DirectSound, what is the reason?
Foobar2000 has it's own Volume Control, not K-Mixer.
Is a modification possible to Fade the music with ASIO output?

Reply #3
The DirectSound interface provides a real-time volume control, while ASIO would require foobar to scale the signal itself. Software volume scaling would either incur a high latency, or require a really low latency sound output buffer and implement the majority of the output buffer as a secondary buffer.

Reply #4
Thank-you Peter.
But how do you realize the manual Volume Control? It works with the ASIO driver.

I ask, because I need the Fade. The driver or the Hardware of the ASUS Essence ST has a great Bug with Asio and Direct Sound output.

There is a big problem if I play stereo music-files from S/PDIF (Soundcard Asus Xonar Essence ST) to the Benchmark HDR D/A Converter coaxial interface. If I change music-tracks in the player-software (foobar2000) there is a loud Popping Sound in the speakers. Often the DC-Voltage protection from the power amplifier is activated and The Bass-Speaker makes a big Hub without any NF-Signal.
Every time I switch the "analog out" between "headphones" to "speakers" on the xonar audio center the Bass-Speaker Hub is gone.
There exists a continual danger that the speakers will be destroyed.

Benchmark said: It sounds like your sound-card is doing strange things to the actual audio data (not just the transmission signal).

I own two ASUS Xonar Cards in two different PC's. Both make the same strange things. I speak since three month with Asus. They do nothing.

And now it comes. If I make a manual or automatic fade out while stopping a track there is no hub on the bass-speaker and no popping sound if I change music-tracks.