i tried an AAC track and it did indeed play through WMP. I fixed the priority on "file source (mp3)" and still nothing with ALAC.if i remember correctly, i did get ALAC to play through WMP the first time i downloaded the dsmp3source a while ago. and then a week or two later it just stopped again. maybe because i downloaded conflicting software or something?
i also just re-registered the "file source (MP3)" filter and brought its priority all the way up. now WMP is giving me this for both ALAC and AAC:"Windows Media Player encountered an unknown error. This can occur when another program or operating system component encounters a problem but does not communicate the nature of the problem to the Player."
i ended up deleting every single filter and then reinstalling the "file source(mp3) filter. WMP plays AAC again, but still no ALAC. i switched the tag plugin to the softpointer as well.i must be doin something wrong
to tell you the truth, I don't even have itunes. I don't remember exactly when i deleted it, maybe thats when WMP stopped playing ALAC. The ALAC files i have been testing were either ripped straight from a CD to ALAC or converted from FLAC, both using dBpoweramp music converter.I'll try reinstalling Itunes and make some new ALACs with it, that sounds the best way to go.thanks again for all your help John, i'll let you know how it goes
BINGO! I ripped a CD to ALAC with itunes and WMP played it no problem. I also discovered i can convert my FLACs to WMPLossless with dBpoweramp and then to ALAC with itunes, quite an annoying process however.i'd pay money for a filter that allows WMP to play dBpoweramp's ALACs, but i guess there's nothing out there yet.thanks again