Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Aqualung (music player for gnu/linux) now supports Wavpack (Read 9770 times) previous topic - next topic

Aqualung (music player for gnu/linux) now supports Wavpack

Website hasn't been updated yet, but you can find the latest release here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=114860

It requires at least wavpack 4.40.0 and it supports all the test samples (more than 2 channels is ignored).
Basic metadata reading is present as well.

Main site is: http://aqualung.sf.net

It's a pretty neat player, so i figured it could use an improvement from the (atm very lacking) ffmpeg decoder.

Reply #1
Website hasn't been updated yet, but you can find the latest release here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=114860

It requires at least wavpack 4.40.0 and it supports all the test samples (more than 2 channels is ignored).
Basic metadata reading is present as well.

Main site is: http://aqualung.sf.net

It's a pretty neat player, so i figured it could use an improvement from the (atm very lacking) ffmpeg decoder.

Hey, thanks, what a great birthday present!! 

I browsed the sources a little, but it wasn't obvious to me if WavPack is supported on the win32 version also, and if so how does it link to the WavPack library?

Anyway, this is very cool and I'll certainly add a link on the WavPack site when it's official.

Reply #2
I don't know, i'll ask. Happy birthday, is it yours or wavpack's?

Reply #3
I asked, and it's included in the 0.9 beta 7.1 installer.

Reply #4
I don't know, i'll ask. Happy birthday, is it yours or wavpack's?

It was my birthday. WavPack's is August 15, 1998. 

BTW, I couldn't tell from your posts whether you made the mods for Aqualung or were just reporting them. In any event, I'll definitely try it out on my Ubuntu setup because the player I'm using now (XMMS) doesn't make it too far through the test suite (although it works fine for 16-bit).

Reply #5
I made the contribution, since no player i would use on this platform supports wavpack and it shouldn't be that way. Also submitted a patch for easytag, but that's still pending (the author replied that it might make it into the 2.0 release, although initially he indicated there was a feature freeze), i'll give a message once that's in.

Please improve the documentation on float data, that was a bit confusing. Also make the padding of odd samplerates more visible (a warning maybe).

Reply #6
I made the contribution, since no player i would use on this platform supports wavpack and it shouldn't be that way. Also submitted a patch for easytag, but that's still pending (the author replied that it might make it into the 2.0 release, although initially he indicated there was a feature freeze), i'll give a message once that's in.

Ah, yes I heard from the EasyTag author about this. Thanks again! 

Please improve the documentation on float data, that was a bit confusing. Also make the padding of odd samplerates more visible (a warning maybe).

I'm not sure what you mean by the "odd samplerate padding". And, yes, I will improve the docs on floats.

Reply #7
I mean the fact that:

20 bps becomes 24 bps, 10 bps becomes 16 bps, etc

I call that padding.

Reply #8
That's the bit precision; sample rates are like 44100 Hz, 96000 Hz, etc.

Reply #9
That's the bit precision; sample rates are like 44100 Hz, 96000 Hz, etc.

I was thinking something and writing another word, but thank you for clearing it up.