Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer (Read 44358 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer

Reply #125
For anyone who impatient of a big update to this component, I updated one of my CodePen audio visualization (the ones that originally intended for interactive mockup of CQT/VQT spectrum analyzer component for fb2k x64) to add something like this:
X
which is FFT bandpower spectrum with 1/24th octave bands, just like foo_musical_spectrum and audioMotion-analyzer

BTW, I did this ahead of @Crossover updating foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer (hopefully, a spectrogram view, non-power of 2 FFT sizes, and linear amplitude scale)

Reply #126
-snip-
The mel scale would be a nice option. I will keep that in mind. But that contradicts the concept I am working on at the moment cause the idea is to display the musical spectrum (notes) together with the frequency spectrum. I have attached a picture for this.
A function that displays different channels individually or simultaneously would also be a good option. For me personally, this function is not a high priority because I mostly listen to music that uses stereo channels.
As for the feature request of letting you visualize all channels as FFTs of each channel, I meant this: (BTW, I've updated this interactive mockup to add this, which already exists on the similar spectrum analyzer plugin for another music player except for the M/S part)
X
And for Mid/Side part (which can be easily done using M/S encoding then doing FFTs of resulting M/S signal for visualization):
X

Reply #127
How about a spectrogram display in-addition to spectrum display like showcqt visualization?

BTW, I made the spectrum analyzer similar to Crossover's component and it features linear amplitude scale, which is useful for easily visualizing peaks
I meant something like this:
X
where spectrum is at top and spectrogram is at bottom, scrolling from top to bottom just like this FFmpeg filter mentioned before

Reply #128
Yet another feature request for this component: Custom colorstop position for each gradient colorstops (which is already possible in audioMotion-analyzer) and infinite number of colorstops like in built-in spectrogram visualization

This makes something like this below possible:
X

As for the UI for customizing color gradients, I like this one from PowerPoint something like this:
X

Reply #129
I will implement something like this:

It can also be configured to show notes and the frequency grid:

FR when comes to the new frequency bands mode @Crossover is working on it above: Adjustable number of bands per-octave (because foo_musical_spectrum don't have it and I realized there are other variations of equal-temperament scales like 24-TET/quarter tone scale (also known as 1/24th octave bands, 240 bands within 20Hz-20kHz range, and of course Arab tone system) as I've read the Wikipedia page about it) and tuning for fractional octave band visualization (nearest note to specific frequency = specific frequency as in my own spectrum analyzer)

Also FR: Being able to enable or disable antialiasing on drawing graphs for nicer looking visualization closer to CanvasRenderingContext2D at the cost of some FPS drops and optional GPU acceleration (as this component uses a lot of my CPU) regardless of antialias setting

BTW, there are one regression I've noticed on the current version (1.9.2.0) is the window function setting does absolutely nothing (it stays using Hann window regardless of the window type they supposed to)

Reply #130
For frequency bands mode @Crossover are working on, a sinc (or more accurately, Lanczos) FFT bin interpolation would be cool to have, however, a proper one requires the use of real/imaginary pairs to look like this (similar to FFT with zero-padding):
X
instead of this:
X
where this second image above looks more like something other than zero-padded FFT or Goertzel

BTW, are the aforementioned dev of foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer busy with other stuffs, or just working hard on a massive update? (since there aren't replies to me 4 months ago)

Reply #131
BTW, are the aforementioned dev of foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer busy with other stuffs, or just working hard on a massive update? (since there aren't replies to me 4 months ago)
You know, I don't want to seem crass or hurt anyone's feelings, but my own belief is that the developer has been happily using his new updated spectrum for a while now, and the reason he hasn't announced/made it available here is because he doesn't want to be "jumped on" by theorists or others asking him to change/try/replace this that or the other thing.  TF3RDL, I respect your obviously large body of knowledge about the subject, but I believe you should be working on your own spectrum release instead of what might be interpreted as lecturing/pressuring this developer on how to design his.  I'm sorry if this post offends, it's not meant to, but like you and many others I have been awaiting Crossover's Musical Spectrum/Enhanced Spectrum Analyzer hybrid and think we just have to let things "breathe" and give the message that anything he shares will be welcome.

Reply #132
You know, I don't want to seem crass or hurt anyone's feelings, but my own belief is that the developer has been happily using his new updated spectrum for a while now, and the reason he hasn't announced/made it available here is because he doesn't want to be "jumped on" by theorists or others asking him to change/try/replace this that or the other thing.  TF3RDL, I respect your obviously large body of knowledge about the subject, but I believe you should be working on your own spectrum release instead of what might be interpreted as lecturing/pressuring this developer on how to design his.  I'm sorry if this post offends, it's not meant to, but like you and many others I have been awaiting Crossover's Musical Spectrum/Enhanced Spectrum Analyzer hybrid and think we just have to let things "breathe" and give the message that anything he shares will be welcome.
I liked the idea to work on my own spectrum visualization (perhaps a 64-bit remake of Musical Spectrum, Channel Spectrum panel, etc. in similar way to ReFacets) because the development time of the upcoming update on foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer would be absurdly long if they decided to implement most if not all of my requests to add these features (remember, do bugfixes first before adding new features is the best, because of the fact that known problematic components are barred from mentioning on component recommendation posts)

However, I don't actually have any experience with C++ nor foobar2000 SDK to actually make the visualization component that I've want and I only have experience with JS and Web Audio API (the latter doesn't exist in SMP component and I don't think adding WebAudio API support to SMP helps), therefore that's why it posted these visualizations on CodePen as a small web app not a fb2k 64-bit component, so good luck with anyone looking for Musical Spectrum and Channel Spectrum panel (with Default UI support) remake for foobar2000 x64

BTW, I also agree with your statement about pressuring the developer to add something that I've want (spectrogram view in-addition to spectrum, adjustable number of bands on frequency bands mode, linear/sqrt amplitude scale, perceptual frequency scales, a feature to display separate channels and even Mid/Side spectrum, etc.) because of reasons that I said before (the more requests the developer accepted and actually working on implementing these, the longer development time is)

Reply #133
another FR: Bring back the crest factor (Peak/RMS) visualization but with same framerate and details (for consistency) as the rest of spectrum visualizations on this component

Reply #134
yet another FR: Frequency weighting functions (A, B, C, D, and M/ITU-R 468) in-addition to frequency tilt, with the amount being adjustable (e.g. a weighting amount of 0.5 is a square root of frequency weighting functions applied to the FFT, setting it to zero applies no weighting (or in other words, Z-weighting), and negative values gets the opposite amount (FFT spectrum prior to log-amplitude transformation divided by weighting functions instead of multiplying by it) of weighting)

Reply #135
A "true RMS" mode (where the averaging is done in squared domain and then take a square root to convert to linear amplitude scale) would be appreciated as currently, the averaging is done in logarithmic amplitude scale instead of linear.

And also, I would appreciate analog-style analyzer mode like this:
X
for new frequency bars visualization mode like in Spectralissime spectrum analyzer app and Seven Phases Spectrum Analyzer VST plugin where it doesn't use FFT and instead uses IIR biquad bandpass filter bank.

Reply #136
Feature Request: any chance to have the option to configure foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer to run on a different logical cpu?
(a logical different from the one hosting foobar main thread so as to move the workload away from foobar main thread cpu)

Reply #137
Regarding the performance issue (low FPS on fullscreen mode of this component), did anyone have this same issue?

Since this component needs some optimizations in order to keep up with the performance of my own CodePen project like this and even AudioWorklet-based one (obviously, it is pure JS for both AudioWorklet and actual audio analysis part) on fullscreen mode as of right now, even the 1/48th octave analog-style analyser (even though the actual audio analysis algorithms are done in a main thread) on the aforementioned CodePen project runs faster than Enhanced Spectrum analyzer component for foobar2000

Reply #138
You're right sveakul :-) I've been using the V2 of the component since mid-2023, but that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore TF3RDL's posts. I will come back to it later. But for now, I'm going to use my time to take a closer look at the component's "performance problem". I don't think it's really a "performance issue", but rather a superfluous use of "perfectionism". I will analyse this and hopefully I can reduce the CPU consumption.

Reply #139
I'd be patient about optimizations on this component to get 60FPS on fullscreen mode and lower CPU usage, and my proposed analog-style analyzer/IIR filter bank mode (right now, there is no analog-style spectrum analyzer component for fb2k, so I used foo_dsp_vst3 to visualize audio using Voxengo AnSpec) for frequency bands mode can benefit from usage of SIMD instructions (for the case of AVX instruction usage, a fallback to SSE4.2 and SSE2 for stability) and multithreading can benefit the performance of calculating two or more spectrum in this case of multiple graphs (which foo_vis_spectrum_analyzer going to have) and/or overlayed channel spectrum displays right?

Also, add a Gaussian window function (with window parameter of 2.4 to match foobar2000's built-in spectrum visualization method) in-addition to fixing the regression of window function settings not actually applying different windowing functions as well as adding an option to show either the DC label (only shown when used with any frequency scale other than logarithmic), Nyquist frequency marker, or both

BTW, I think the @Crossover's Enhanced Spectrum analyzer (foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer, this component) and @pqyt's Spectrum Analyzer (foo_vis_spectrum_analyzer) serves different purposes even though both of them are spectrum analyzers; the former is for something like professional audio analysis and the latter is for eye candy, but still serves more useful purposes than Winamp's Classic Spectrum Analyzer plugin

Reply #140
FRs for this component: Fullscreen mode and UI color scheme integration on a Columns UI panel version of this component as well as an option to actually use gradients when using UI color integration as in Loudness Peakmeter component by the same @Crossover

Also, just because foo_vis_spectrum_analyzer finally added IIR filter bank mode for spectral analysis doesn't mean Enhanced Spectrum analyzer shouldn't get one too especially with upcoming frequency bars mode (hopefully with adjustable number of bands per-octave and an option to use ANSI preferred frequencies)

Reply #141
Installed this a few weeks ago, its AWESOME! Used it to show where a mix was too loud, worked perfectly :-)
Should be in the main foobar repository page in my opinion
cheers
Stu

Reply #142
A "true RMS" mode (where the averaging is done in squared domain and then take a square root to convert to linear amplitude scale) would be appreciated as currently, the averaging is done in logarithmic amplitude scale instead of linear.
Also FR: Infinite averaging mode, where the average spectrum converges to the curve by the time the song reaches the end (and infinite averaging can be reset by either using "Reset Peak and RMS" option or just seeking or playing a next song), and exponential averaging mode, which is behaves similarly to Voxengo SPAN and it is controlled by "Velocity" parameter in dB per second instead of "Average Length" in milliseconds