Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_convolve - Impulse response convolver (Read 328383 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_convolve - Impulse response convolver

Reply #75
After reading about foo_convolve, I decided to use it to emulate the Winamp built-in MP3 equalizer. The problem is that the impulses are wav files. I'm not good with theory, I mean can I convert the wav impulse to mp3 and feed it through Winamp? If this is not possible, do I have any other option?

Reply #76
Just feed the wav through winamp??

Reply #77
I think Wizard is suggesting that Winamp has a format specific equalizer, that is triggered only when playing that particular format. Hence a wav file won't work if you want to capture the settings used with mp3 files.

I don't have a clue whether it works this way though...

Reply #78
I think Wizard is suggesting that Winamp has a format specific equalizer, that is triggered only when playing that particular format. Hence a wav file won't work if you want to capture the settings used with mp3 files.

I don't have a clue whether it works this way though...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=252464"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly upNorth! Winamp's in_mp3 has an option "Fast Layer 3 EQ", which is only for MP3 playback and I have a certain preset that I'd like to emulate.

Reply #79
Hi,

Garf, you planned to add cross-channel convolution, have you dropped the idea?
Please, if at all possible, that would be very very good thing.

All those crossfeed plugins are too limited. 2 stage convolution would be ideal to reach any desirable result.

To make decent headphone listening with convolve plugin, you'd need to convolve as you crossmix.

Using crossfeed plugin after convolve does not do it right. You really need to manipulate crossfeed data in both time and frequency response.

http://headwize.com/tech/headrm1_tech.htm
It really really did sound different. Not in a placebo way.

Reply #80
will there pleeease be a 0.9 version when it's final ?

Reply #81
Could Garf or someone else tell me what the functionalities of this convolver are?

Am I right that if you have a stereo signal it expects a stereo convolution and convolves each channel of the original signal with the corresponding channel of the convolution file?

If you had an n channel original and an n channel convolution would that work too?

Presumably in general convolution will take an n channel original and convolve it with an n*m matrix of mono signals to get an m channel result. This convolver doesn't do that I don't suppose?

And are all sample rates supported as long as the original has the same rate as the convolution?

Thanks for any help.

Reply #82
will there pleeease be a 0.9 version when it's final ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=355570"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I gave Peter the source code so all new versions should include it by default.

Reply #83
Bump. If this convolver just convolves with a single mono convolution is any convolver more flexible, for foobar or any other playback software?

Reply #84
Bump

Reply #85
Bump. If this convolver just convolves with a single mono convolution is any convolver more flexible, for foobar or any other playback software?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=359829"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is it still in mono? Would be useful to have it in stereo, due to room asymmetry. Seems like a small change (?)

Reply #86
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=359829"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is it still in mono? Would be useful to have it in stereo, due to room asymmetry. Seems like a small change (?)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371784"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And what about foobar2000 0.9 support? Because as of now foobar would be as useless as amaroK, which would be better since its a good native Linux player... but I need convolution, and the probably only way to get that is through the insanely difficult BruteFIR... tried many days, couldn't get it working... (though I'm making progress...).

Reply #87
I was wondering if convolver in 0.9 will support 5.1 or more channels in the impulse file.

Reply #88
Any news on 0.9 convolver?

Reply #89
This is the last thing I need to feel at home with 0.9. Any new news?

Reply #90
same here
also waiting

Reply #91
i'm also missing the 0.9 convolver. any plans on updating it?

Reply #92
I would go down on my knees if I have to.

Please, please release a 0.9 ver!

Reply #93
I've been waiting this plugin also and I need it almost desperately.

Reply #94
is there ant plan for the development to support foobar2000 0.9?
I miss this plugin so much

Reply #95
The convolver is not part of the standard foobar install.

Is there any chance that the author for foo_convolve could re-compile it for v0.9 foobar?

Thanks!

Reply #97
Regarding the way Equalization works in Winamp
Winamp's input API allows for Equalizer handling in the input plugin, but you have to go way back to find a Winamp that required the input plugin to Equalize the audio. Most Winamp versions has it's own integrated Equalizer that sits between the DSP and output stages. Nullsoft even improved this Equalizer with new code a while back.

Reply #99
I hope you realize that the last mention of equalization in Winamp is from December 2004.

I did not look at the post date sorry. I will start to look at the post dates from now on.
But why are there so old posts still around here? Time to prune the forum database perhaps?

Clean everything from before 2005 and maybe put really important info in a Wiki.
Wikis are for archival of information while forums are for discussions of up to date topics.

Thank you!

Now I wonder how to learn how to make Impulse response files from scratch using Adobe Audition.