Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Fraunhofer encoding with Foobar (Read 7575 times) previous topic - next topic

Fraunhofer encoding with Foobar

Do u know if there's still an mp3 encoder by Fraunhofer? Because I'm using Foobar to convert all my lossless audio to mp3 to have both lossless and lossy on my PC, but I'd like to use a Fraunhofer encoder instead of Lame. Thank you!

Reply #1
Ok I'll bite,

Why do you want to use such an old encoder?

Didn't development stop around 2003?
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2

What matters is how good it is, for his ears, with his music, at the bitrates he's interested in.
FhG performs very well in listening tests, does it not?

Reply #4

What matters is how good it is, for his ears, with his music, at the bitrates he's interested in.
FhG performs very well in listening tests, does it not?
Since CyndiBop doesn't seem to have the FHG Mp3 encoder it would be hard to say how it sounds to him\her?
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #5
I tried Fraunhofer in the past, it was an internal encoder for AudioGrabber or EAC, I don't remember, I prefer that sound to lame, I can't explain why, anyway, problem solved, I've got now dbpoweramp, and I've only to wait for the updates of the codec to the 64bit version, there's the chance to convert to mp3 using Fraunhofer there. I surfed the web before but it seems I can't find an exe for Fraunhofer encoders. Never mind, I'm happy with dbpoweramp now.

Reply #6
I surfed the web before but it seems I can't find an exe for Fraunhofer encoders.

I think Fraunhofer has only ever posted temporary "demo" versions of their encoders. The most recent round of encoders they had posted were the mp3 Surround encoders, which were on a poorly run promotional site they had set up called all4mp3.com. The files were last updated around 2009 and were supposed to expire at the end of 2013, but they were fully functional. My win32 command-line encoder still works and handles regular stereo just fine; I think it's just the regular encoder with more functionality grafted on for the surround support.

all4mp3.com disappeared at some point in 2013. I poked around on archive.org's cache of all4mp3.com, but could only get one of the Linux builds to download. FhG hasn't posted any downloadable encoders anywhere else, as far as I can tell. To get a licensed encoder, you're expected to get/buy software that has it bundled in, in which case the encoder is probably only a library, not a standalone app.

Reply #7
The encoder is still out there in the wild if you look around long enough. It doesn't seem to work with Foobar unless you set the "Highest BPS mode supported" to 16. Good luck.

Reply #8
Doesn't windows media player encode to mp3 using the fhg encoder? I know winamp uses it if you buy the pro version.

Reply #9
Doesn't windows media player encode to mp3 using the fhg encoder? I know winamp uses it if you buy the pro version.

I don't know, but the MP3 encoder used by Windows Media Player doesn't sound transparent at 128Kbps to me which is very weird.

Reply #10
Probably because fhg hasn't worked on their encoder in ages in lieu of aac. Might be treading on ToS#8 but I'm fairly certain nobody on these boards would ever recommend using it for those reasons.