Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DC-rejection (Read 3742 times) previous topic - next topic

DC-rejection

Hi all! 

does anyone know how to disable the DC Rejection filter in opusenc? it is necessary to chiptune music

DC-rejection

Reply #1
I would be surprised if any lossy codec preserved DC, seeing as how it is not audible.

DC-rejection

Reply #2
When you say "necessary", do you mean audibly necessary?

I ask because I tend to apply a highpass filter in that kind of content (as a simple way to correct DC), and I don't think it changes the sound.

DC-rejection

Reply #3
it is not audible

it is necessary to chiptune music

As someone who knows a little something about audio but had to wiki "chiptune music" I would really like to have these two things reconciled.

Pixar, why do you need to preserve DC?

DC-rejection

Reply #4
greynol, DC Rejection increasing peak level and may be clipping

DC-rejection

Reply #5

I'd say the Vorbis one looks like its clipping more, but if this is a problem, just use replaygain so it won't clip.  Its not a good idea to rely on DC anyway, since your DAC probably won't produce it, so you may get clipping anyway on playback. 

DC-rejection

Reply #6
The good news is that a LOSSLESS encoder will preserve DC.

DC-rejection

Reply #7
(emphasis mine)

I'm sorry, but I remain extremely doubtful that concerning yourself with DC is the right direction in fixing whatever might be wrong with your encoding.  In terms of whether you have an audible problem with your encodes, these waveform plots are useless.  DBT is the only proper means of gauging quality of sound.

Also, you're aware that you're no longer locked into a specific bit-depth once you encode to lossy, right?  With this in mind, do take note of saratoga's advice.

DC-rejection

Reply #8
Who knows setting off in --set-ctrl-int ?

DC-rejection

Reply #9
does anyone know how to disable the DC Rejection filter in opusenc? it is necessary to chiptune music

The DC rejection filter is always on. The reason for this is that DC messes with the psycho-acoustic model, causing the CELT encoder to significantly increase the amount of noise up to about 100 Hz.

DC-rejection

Reply #10
jmvalin, Thanks, i did not know that so important