Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how to copy audio cd in osx (Read 3230 times) previous topic - next topic

how to copy audio cd in osx

Hey all.  I can't figure out a way to copy an audio CD on my iBook so that I can rip it later with EAC on my windows desktop.  Naturally, "dragging onto a folder in the Finder" or "import as (WAV/AIF/ALAC) to iTunes" both defeat the purpose, because they're not secure extraction.  I also don't want to have to buy Toast for a task as basic as copying a CD.

I want to do it with a disk image, which could be done using the Disk Copy utility in 10.2.  Everyone says that as of 10.3, all the functions of Disk Copy were absorbed into the more general Disk Utility, but when I try to do a "New image from (CD Drive)" in Disk Utility with either the CD drive (device) or the disc (volume) selected, the "New image from (Device)" option is greyed out.

Permissions have been repaired.  I'm at a loss.  Come on, all you smartypantses.

Reply #1
There is absolutely nothing to be gained by ripping subsequently any image that you do manage to create with EAC. In order for the image to be created your drive still has to be able to read the disc securely in the first place and this is where the inaccuracy can/will occur.

Reply #2
Alright, thanks.

Does this mean that there's no point in using EAC on any CD that's not an original pressed disc, as insecure extraction was probably used to create the burned copy?

Reply #3
Alright, thanks.

Does this mean that there's no point in using EAC on any CD that's not an original pressed disc, as insecure extraction was probably used to create the burned copy?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=367284"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Essentially.  Though using secure mode the second time will reduce the chances of adding additional artifacts.

Reply #4
It is good practice to only rip pressed cd's and avoid cd-r's altogether.