Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Easy Playlist export to mp3 player? (Read 2061 times) previous topic - next topic

Easy Playlist export to mp3 player?

Sorry to ask such a newbie question, but here goes...

For my mp3 player, I use fb2k to transcode entire CDs (previously ripped to FLAC) and that works fine for normal artist albums. However...

I often create playlists in fb2k, mixing tracks from various CDs ripped to FLAC. I use these playlists on the PC, and sometimes burn them (or parts of them) to CD. In both cases the track order of the playlist is maintained.

Here's the problem: When I transcode a playlist for my mp3 player, I want it to appear on my mp3 player as if that playlist was ripped from a single CD. So, just like in fb2k itself or on a CD I've burnt from the playlist, I want the tracks to play in the order I've sequenced them. To work like this on my mp3 player, I think I need the place/number in the playlist to be treated as the new track number (both in the tag, and at the start of the filename), and I need to give all the tracks the same album name (losing their original album name - otherwise my Sansa clip will sort the playlist into its original albums).

Is there an easy way of doing this in fb2k with some kind of filename and tagging scheme? Or some other tool?

Alternatively, an easy way of transferring the playlist (FLAC>mp3, directory structure appropriately converted) and transcoding the relevant tracks of the original albums might work - I haven't played with playlists on the Sansa Clip.

I welcome any suggestions.

(Apologies if this has been covered before - I searched for playlist export and got 52 pages of threads. Adding quotes brought it down to one page with no answers.)

Cheers,
David.

Reply #1
you'd have thought the player would maintain the original order of your playlist?? i own a sansa clip myself but it's never been used with the original firmware so i have no idea. i prefer rockbox...

anyway, to make your tracks appear as a single album.....

-select all files in your foobar playlist. right click>properties.
-edit the album field as you want
-right click the track number field and select auto track number. this will overwrite the existing tracknumbers with the order as they appear in the playlist.
-exit the properties dialog.
-with the files still selected, right click>file operations>move to>... *
-select your destination folder
-at the right side of the file name pattern is a button labelled with ...  - click that and select the artist /album pattern on the left and nn. title on the right

*if you don't see file operations, you'll need to close foobar and re-run the installer and make sure you select it during setup.

Reply #2
Thank you marc2003 - that sounds like a solution, but I don't want to change the tags on the original flacs in the playlist, just the mp3s I transcode to. I can't see any easy way to make the switch FLAC>mp3 and then use your solution, without re-building the playlist from scratch - am I missing something?

Thanks,
David.

Reply #4
This might help you, if I read the problem right: %list_index%

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...25list_index.25

I'd use romor's method, which 2E7AH helped me find in the past

I've occasionally used the file naming dialogue to carry over my desired new tag changes when converting in fb2k (but to leave the original file's tags alone)
(e.g. in its simplest form
%list_index% - My Special Playlist 01
for example) to create, say, a bunch of mp3 files with weird file names.
then load the newly converted files and use the masstagger to overwrite at least some of the tags based on guessing tags from the filename, telling fb2k that the file naming pattern was
%track% - %album%
and I think it will leave the original %title% and %artist% tags unaltered while modifying just those two.

Now they're tracks 1 to n of album "My Special Playlist 01"

Once the corrected tags are safely in place, if you'd like a nicer filename after that, you can use the renamer with your naming pattern of choice, e.g. %track% - %title% - %artist%

It's a bit clunky, but it'll get the job done, and when I've wanted a playlist of about 600 songs to get written to an SD card in the correct order, this sort of workaround has worked a treat.

BTW, I was thinking there must be a %playlist% thing to get the title of the current playlist into the filename and then to overwrite the %album% tag, but I couldn't find any such thing in the Title Formatting Wiki. Anyone know?
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #5
I can't see any easy way to make the switch FLAC>mp3 and then use your solution, without re-building the playlist from scratch - am I missing something?

by default, the when the converter has finished, it spawns a dialog with all converted files in the same order. you should be able to run the same process i outlined in this window or you can even drag/drop the results to a new playlist.

Reply #6
%list_index% - that's the magic bit I'd never heard of.

Like your other question in your linked thread Dynamic, my question came up because of Christmas playlists!

Thanks for your help everyone.

Cheers,
David.