Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Improving foo_playcount for 0.9 (Read 179658 times) previous topic - next topic

Improving foo_playcount for 0.9

Reply #76
Hmm eh ... i moved from the official play count to G-Lite's play count, i noticed that it's not updating the play count with cue files.

Reply #77
Hmm eh ... i moved from the official play count to G-Lite's play count, i noticed that it's not updating the play count with cue files.

Me, too!!!

It doesn't do anything to DB or CUE files.

============================

I found that the problem is in 'DB only mask'. 'DB only mask' doesn't work at all.

Reply #78
There is no such thing as database-only tag updates in 0.9. Either you are writing to the file tags, or you are storing the data yourself. And then you most certainly can't store the information in a normal metadata field.

Reply #79
g-lite: will you be including support of a central statistics repository for those of us that don't want to update file tags, and find the 'official' plugin lacking without first_played support? i'd really like to know your plans on that

much appreciated

Reply #80
I second that boombaard, I'm actually waiting for someone to make a plugin which will let you save any tags you want to a seperate file (such as play_count, rating, album rating, replaygain etc)

But thats a discussion for a different topic.

@g-lite (or anyone) has anyone noticed that some tracks don't seem to get written to, there have been a few albums I have listened to right through yet one or two tracks don't seem to have the data added to the tags.

Reply #81
unabatedshagie
+1

Reply #82
I'd like to know how the plugin works with an embedded cue. It seems to write the tags (file is getting slightly bigger after play count informations are added) but they don't appear in the cue, and as i understand, the plugin doesn't write anything in the .cfg. So is it due to 0.9 embedded cue policy (it seems that it's the same for "rating", and i guess, any other non standards tags) or does the plugin handle things its own way ?

Reply #83
g-lite: will you be including support of a central statistics repository for those of us that don't want to update file tags, and find the 'official' plugin lacking without first_played support? i'd really like to know your plans on that

much appreciated

I might.. I guess I'll put it on my huge todo list.

@g-lite (or anyone) has anyone noticed that some tracks don't seem to get written to, there have been a few albums I have listened to right through yet one or two tracks don't seem to have the data added to the tags.

I can't tell from here what is going wrong. I suggest you turn on error messages and try to play those songs again, see what it has to say in the console.

Reply #84
Maybe I missed something, but what does that "DB Only Mask" do and what is the "Skip tracks not in the DB"?

Reply #85
When a file is updated, i mean when it writes the tag, i see the progress window. I fond it quite annoying. Is it possible to hide it completly?

Reply #86
When a file is updated, i mean when it writes the tag, i see the progress window. I fond it quite annoying. Is it possible to hide it completly?

On this note, when the tags are written the first time, it actaully pauses the track for a second.  I would consider this pluggin unusalbe until that is fixed.

Reply #87
what are the command things you put on the trackinfo box so it can display how many times youve played a certain song? %last_played% is the only one i know.

Reply #88
%play_counter% or %play_count%

Reply #89
If its really only when the tags are created you can use masstagger to add the tags which are written first time a song is played with a zero and it shouldn't pause then.

Reply #90
would it be possible to remove the dialog box that flashes when play_count updates a song? it takes the focus off of whatever i'm doing in foobar and messes me up when i'm trying to type code or something.

Reply #91
would it be possible to remove the dialog box that flashes when play_count updates a song? it takes the focus off of whatever i'm doing in foobar and messes me up when i'm trying to type code or something.

I'll second this one.  Really annoying when tagging or coding.

Otherwise, great work, G-Lite.

Reply #92
Im not sure if it's this componite or foobar's lack of saport for ID3v2.3.. but it removes most of the tags from ID3v2 when updating playcount.. i check my tags with Tag&Rename.. (or maybe this tag prog doesnt saport 3v2.4.. i dunno & foo uses 3v2.4)

well just updating tags with the mass tagging or on the song's Properties it removes the Year tags >.>

well i'll stop using it for now  (don't like to have my tags all messed up).. plus /me does like the offical one..

Reply #93
I would also like to see support for adding %last_played%, %first_played%, %play_count% and %rating% to either Media Library or an external file or even fb2k config barring that.

I also like to keep that kind of information separate from tags because not only are they volatile, if I listen to items from read-only media (network shares or DVDRs), they do not get updated. For what it's worth all my music is on a network file server. Plus I'd rather have my foobar2k config file, database or an external file corrupted than have my music corrupted. Having it on a separate external file can make it easier to back up and it won't get accidently deleted when updating fbk2 configuration or components.

So it's,
unabatedshagie
+2
now.

Reply #94
i was also going to mention something about the dialog poping up when updating, kinda annoying.  its what caused me to stop using it.  also i agree with others that i don't like the into being stored in the tag itself.  i would prefer a seperate database to store the information.

my main problem with the offical version is that it stores the information, but when you move the file it loses the info.  considering i organize my files so much, i lose the # counted frequently.

Reply #95
i also installed foo_playcount and wanted to show the times a song was played in my trackinfo by using %play_counter% additionally i also inserted the two other functions but the only thing i get are three "???" ... thats all ... i searched in different forums for a solution and also read through the walkthrough of audioHQ ... anyone can help me ?

Reply #96
g-lite: will you be including support of a central statistics repository for those of us that don't want to update file tags, and find the 'official' plugin lacking without first_played support?

much appreciated

I second that!

Reply #97
I haven't read anyone mentioning that if u use tag counter modifying mp3 tag, and if u are playing songs from same dir where u have your ipod library, foobar will modify your mp3 each time u play them, and itunes will transfer the modified song every time u plug in ipod. That really sux to me. That's why i will stick to original release, till someone will make playcount with an external db.

Reply #98
What I think is… writing tags to files is no good because fields like PLAY_COUNTER in no way characterize the song or album it belongs to. These fields are personal to you/your computer. Such fields must be either shown in the metadata list and not stored in the files, or better not shown at all and stored in some other place, like does official foo_playcount component. These should be stored in the database, cfg or maybe, as some of you suggest, a separate file.

Maybe Peter will release a new version or sources so someone (G-Lite?) makes one?

BTW, the official component loses playcount data even if you move or rename files using foobar2000 — this is a bug.
stimulating the audio nerve directly