Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ADVICE: Moving to a dedicated Sound Card Setup (Read 1674 times) previous topic - next topic

ADVICE: Moving to a dedicated Sound Card Setup

I recently upgraded to an Abit K8N-Ultra motherbaord and the onboard sound leaves a bit to be desired.  Not only does it sound "tinny", it also breaks and cracks randomly when I am working.  Also, the system in question is a work box, not a gaming box.

What I am looking for is very good 2-channel sound for CD/MP3 playback.  I already have a good speaker setup and a huge music library, now I just need a better soundcard option.

Scanning here and Google keeps pointing back to any of the cards with the Via ENVY chips, esp the Chaintech AV-710.  However, when I go looking for that particular card, no one seems to have it in stock.  I have also looked at some of the higher end M-Audio solutions (among others) but quite often these are also designed for people making music in addition to listening to music - seems like overkill for my needs.

So, the questions I have then are:

1) What other cards are available with the same chipset as the AV-710?

2) And/Or, What other cards should I be considering for 2-channel audio(phile) playback?  Again, I will not be gaming at all.

3) Before you recommend that I go get a receiver/amp and better speakers, please bear in mind that I only use this system for work and I want to be able to play music while I do, but I also want to make it sound as good as possible without going overboard.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions & advice!

-JPS