Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Album Art Downloader XUI (Read 2035606 times) previous topic - next topic

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1951
Maybe new version of the program could solve the problem?
So blu didn't work either, then? In that case, it's clearly a problem with your .NET Framework / WPF installation. If reinstalling the .net framework didn't work then I'm afraid I don't have any further suggestions. No new version of the program can possibly solve the problem, as it isn't a problem with Album Art Downloader.

Alex

Still have no idea what to do so I can use the program again. And I need it!  I'm definitely not an expert as for the system, configurations and that kind of stuff so I hope that someone will come up with anything please.

// MK

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1952
Still have no idea what to do so I can use the program again. And I need it!  I'm definitely not an expert as for the system, configurations and that kind of stuff so I hope that someone will come up with anything please.

// MK

Many people have had a problem with their install of .net . Completely unistall all versions, go to the microsoft website and get their program to uninstall any remnants and run it, and than reinstall. If that is beyond your capabilites, take your computer to a shop to be fixed.
Glass half full!

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1953
Holy crap, it works!  I uninstalled .NET Framework completely and did the same to Album Art Downloader. Reinstalled stuff - nothing happened. Few hours later miracle!  I don't know why and it doesn't interest me now, program works! Thanks for the help, if I ever have some troubles again (hopefully not!) I will come back . Cheers!

// MK

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1955
The "_XXX" portion refers to language. You would want to download the one that fits your installation of Windows.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1956
Cool--this does a better job at finding covers than most; needs more manual interaction, but that's better than the ones that try to be completely automatic but can't find anything...

Some feedback:

- The "none" sort still seems to attempt some kind of sorting: as results come in, they're inserted at seemingly randomly in the results.  I want to start looking through results as soon as they start appearing, and this makes the results flicker all over the place until all sources have completed.  It would be helpful if the "none" sort would display results in the order they arrive, so new results always appear at the end of the list.  (Having the list stay at the top instead of scrolling downwards at the start of a search would help streamline this, too, so I don't have to scroll back to the top every time.)
- Is there a way to change the filename when dragging images into file explorer?  It results in "Folder.jpg", which Android's media framework doesn't know about, so I have to rename to "cover.jpg" manually each time.
- Showing the file size next to the resolution, when known, would be useful.  Often the same image will be on several sites, but in a horrible q1 JPEG on several; this would help finding the one in ten that's a reasonable quality.

I've attached an amazon-common that scrapes customer images--this is where most of the useful images are.  Or I would attach it, but this forum seems to be missing the option, so: http://pastebin.com/n7gLAMsV  This is tested primarily on amazon.co.jp, and should probably tolerate parse errors better than it does, but I've spent enough time on it for now...

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1957

Thanks for your feedback. If you have both sorting and grouping set to none, results are just added to the bottom of the list as they come in. If the scroll position is not at the bottom of the list, then it won't automatically scroll to show newly added results either, so once you start scrolling manually it should not scroll away from where you put it.

If you have automatic download of full size images set to anything other than "never", though, you might still get behaviour where results appear to jump as when the full size image is downloaded. If you have any sort of filtering turned on then when the size of the image changes (due to it previously being unknown, then being determined when the full size image completes) then unfortunately the result must be removed and re-added to the list for filtering to take effect, which means that without any sort applied, it will move to the bottom. To avoid this, click the Options link and make sure that neither of the "Filter by image size" checkboxes are checked.

To set the filename, click the Options link and edit the box labelled "Save images to". For drag and drop, only the filename is used and the rest of the path ignored.

Unfortunately, the file size is pretty much never known in advance, but could be added once the full size image is obtained. (tracker: feature request)

Thank you for your Amazon customer images script, I'm taking a look at it now.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1958
I've attached an amazon-common that scrapes customer images

I've had a look through this, and have some suggestions.

Firstly, I think it would be better to have the customer images as a separate script to the main Amazon one. I find they often contain images of a poor quality (like photos of the jewel case), and are always limited to 500x500 maximum size - the _SCRM_ full size images that you sometimes get for the Amazon images don't seem to exist for them. The script will also necessarily be much slower as it will have to pull a separate page from Amazon for each search result. For these reasons I'd rather have a customer images script as a separate optional install, and leave the current Amazon scripts as they are.

For the code itself, I'd suggest removing the hard-coded limitation to 5 results pages. Album Art Downloader already includes a feature to limit the results returned (to 10, by default, but can be set on each source individually), and will stop the script running when that limit is hit. You've also got some hard-coded .co.jp suffixes. That's fine if you only want to do a .co.jp script, but not if you are doing a general one (like amazon-common).

I don't understand the result added if test.pageUrl is null - was this just a debugging aid? Also, it would be nice if the script used thumbnails. You can get thumbnails for any of the customer images by replacing the ending ".jpg" with "._SX120_.jpg", which gives you the same thumbnail images that the media gallery page uses.

Regards,

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1959
I have not used AAD for a while and when I tried it today I got this error message:
Code: [Select]
Album Art Downloader has encountered a fatal error, and has had to close.
If you wish to report this error, please include this information, which
has been written to the file: C:\Users\Xx\AppData\Local\Temp\AAD_errorlog.txt

App version: 0.41.1.0, running on Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (64 bit)

System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Det gick inte att initiera konfigurationssystemet ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Rotelementet saknas. (C:\Users\XX\AppData\Local\AlbumArtDownloader\AlbumArt.exe_Url_1zgksjkmmjcisnmrjqjtxoq5srobf12i\0.41.1.0\user.config) ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Rotelementet saknas.
   vid System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   vid System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
   vid System.Configuration.XmlUtil..ctor(Stream stream, String name, Boolean readToFirstElement, ConfigurationSchemaErrors schemaErrors)
   vid System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.InitConfigFromFile()
   --- Slut på stackspårning för interna undantag ---
   vid System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean ignoreLocal)
   vid System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfInitErrors()
   vid System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.OnConfigRemoved(Object sender, InternalConfigEventArgs e)
   --- Slut på stackspårning för interna undantag ---
   vid System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)
   vid System.Configuration.PrivilegedConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)
   vid System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.Initialize()
   vid System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.get_IndentSize()
   vid System.Diagnostics.TraceInternal.InitializeSettings()
   vid System.Diagnostics.TraceInternal.TraceEvent(TraceEventType eventType, Int32 id, String format, Object[] args)
   vid AlbumArtDownloader.App.Main(String[] args)

Is there anything that can be done?

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1960
Is there anything that can be done?

It looks like your settings config file has been corrupted somehow. Try deleting the folder "C:\Users\XX\AppData\Local\AlbumArtDownloader\AlbumArt.exe_Url_1zgksjkmmjcisnmrjqjtxoq5srobf12i\0.41.1.0" (which will reset your settings to the default). Or uninstalling and reinstalling AAD, which will have the same effect.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1961
Thanks for the quick reply!

I just replaced the user.config file in that location with the corresponding file for the 0.40 version and that did the trick. (I did not want to lose my settings.)

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1962
If you have automatic download of full size images set to anything other than "never", though, you might still get behaviour where results appear to jump as when the full size image is downloaded. If you have any sort of filtering turned on then when the size of the image changes (due to it previously being unknown, then being determined when the full size image completes) then unfortunately the result must be removed and re-added to the list for filtering to take effect, which means that without any sort applied, it will move to the bottom. To avoid this, click the Options link and make sure that neither of the "Filter by image size" checkboxes are checked.

I have automatic download set to always.  It can't adjust the items in-place?  It does when downloading a full image as a result of the user clicking a result...

You could store a sequence number to each result in the order they're received, and have the None sort actually sort by that sequence number; it would appear unsorted initially but remain stable when items are reinserted.

To set the filename, click the Options link and edit the box labelled "Save images to". For drag and drop, only the filename is used and the rest of the path ignored.

My eyes skipped over that since it sounds like it's only relevant to automatic saving.  Not sure how to make it clearer without splitting it apart, though...

Unfortunately, the file size is pretty much never known in advance, but could be added once the full size image is obtained. (tracker: feature request)

That's what I'd expect; I'm always downloading full images (Amazon thumbnails are uselessly small.)  It could HEAD the image to find out the size when that's not enabled, but the scripts that download directly would make this more work to support, so that's probably not worth it.

Firstly, I think it would be better to have the customer images as a separate script to the main Amazon one. I find they often contain images of a poor quality (like photos of the jewel case), and are always limited to 500x500 maximum size - the _SCRM_ full size images that you sometimes get for the Amazon images don't seem to exist for them. The script will also necessarily be much slower as it will have to pull a separate page from Amazon for each search result. For these reasons I'd rather have a customer images script as a separate optional install, and leave the current Amazon scripts as they are.

I can have it add all of the main images first, and then do query customer images after.  This would make the scripts return the results they currently do without an extra delay.  I'm not sure why resolution matters--the primary results are also of widely varying quality, often giving useless images on the order of 130x130, but that's what filtering is for.  Adding 8 split-out scripts for this doesn't seem very great...

For the code itself, I'd suggest removing the hard-coded limitation to 5 results pages. Album Art Downloader already includes a feature to limit the results returned (to 10, by default, but can be set on each source individually), and will stop the script running when that limit is hit.

This is on the number of results output, however.  This script is making a request to the site per top-level result.  If the user is set to 20 results and each result has 5 user images, then that's not bad--it'll make about four /customer-media requests.  But if the results have no user images, it could make a full 20 requests.  I'm not comfortable with releasing a script that makes that many requests to someone else's site, but if you want to remove it at your discretion then that's up to you.  (It could be modified to limit the number of /customer-image requests but to continue adding top-level images, of course.)

I don't understand the result added if test.pageUrl is null - was this just a debugging aid?

The script is pulling JavaScript blocks out of the source, and it was hitting false positives with other code that had the same pattern but different data.  This test skips them.

Also, it would be nice if the script used thumbnails. You can get thumbnails for any of the customer images by replacing the ending ".jpg" with "._SX120_.jpg", which gives you the same thumbnail images that the media gallery page uses.

I can do that, though Amazon's thumbs seem excessively small (around 57x57).

Are there any debugging mechanisms available?  I couldn't even find a file-writing API for this scripting language; a way to open a console window and output text would make this less of a headache, and a way to see uncaught exceptions.  It'd also help a lot if scripts were automatically recompiled when modified, so the application doesn't need to be restarted all the time.  It doesn't matter much to me now (as I'm just about done), but FWIW...

By the way, I also changed field-title to field-keywords; that gives much more useful results, doing a smart keyword search instead of a strict title search, which is what you get when you search Amazon normally.  "/ref=sr_adv_m_pop" can also be removed; that's for their referral statistics, I think.  Finally, I adjusted EncodeUrlIsoLatin1 to EncodeUrl to line up the scripts; Latin-1 is another name for ISO-8859-1.

Updated at: http://pastebin.com/A8bHLJu6.  Note that if you keep the field-keywords change, you'll want to change the -jp script as well.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1963
I have automatic download set to always.  It can't adjust the items in-place?  It does when downloading a full image as a result of the user clicking a result...
It adjust items in-place whenever possible. As I said, only if the image size changes, and an image size filter is present, it has to remove and re-add it. As a workaround, and given other comments you've made, you are probably best off checking the option "Always download full size" for the Amazon script you use. That way the thumbnail isn't even downloaded, and it just downloads the full size image immediately.

Adding 8 split-out scripts for this doesn't seem very great...
I'm still convinced that customer images are different enough from the official images that users will want a choice between them. In my case, I consider the official ones better and don't want to perform the additional queries for the customer pages. In your case, it sounds like you would prefer to have the customer pages over the official ones. I really don't want to impose customer pages on people who don't want them, but do appreciate that there are people who do.

I can do that, though Amazon's thumbs seem excessively small (around 57x57).
Should be 120x120, using the _SX120_ suffix... Anyway, the point of the thumbnail is just to quickly see whether it is the right album cover at all, and a small image is enough for that. Of course, to see whether it is a decent image of that cover you'd want to download the full thing.

Are there any debugging mechanisms available?
Can you compile AAD from source? If you compile a debug version of AAD then it compiles the scripts as debug too, which means that you can set breakpoints in them, and Visual Studio will break on them and let you inspect variables through the watch window.

If not, then I usually go with System.IO.File.WriteAllText("DebugLog.txt", someDebugDataHere). There are similar methods for Append, and so on. I don't think a console window can be done, though (or not without more pain than it would be worth).

By the way, I also changed field-title to field-keywords; that gives much more useful results, doing a smart keyword search instead of a strict title search, which is what you get when you search Amazon normally.  "/ref=sr_adv_m_pop" can also be removed; that's for their referral statistics, I think.
Thanks for the tip on the /ref=, I'll remove that. I'm not convinced about the change to keywords - if I'm looking for an album with a specified title, then I want to be searching the title field for it, not just any keywords. Can you give me an example of a search that works better with keywords than title?

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1964
It adjust items in-place whenever possible. As I said, only if the image size changes, and an image size filter is present, it has to remove and re-add it. As a workaround, and given other comments you've made, you are probably best off checking the option "Always download full size" for the Amazon script you use. That way the thumbnail isn't even downloaded, and it just downloads the full size image immediately.

But it's able to update the image and fill in the resolution without changing the order when I click on results, so it seems odd that it can't when doing the same thing asynchronously.  (shrug)

I'm still convinced that customer images are different enough from the official images that users will want a choice between them. In my case, I consider the official ones better and don't want to perform the additional queries for the customer pages. In your case, it sounds like you would prefer to have the customer pages over the official ones. I really don't want to impose customer pages on people who don't want them, but do appreciate that there are people who do.

I don't really get this--you still have a choice between them, when they're shown in the results to choose from.  A bigger problem is that if you have two scripts for the same site, selecting all sources will cause every result from those sites to be shown twice; it doesn't remove duplicate results.  It'd also cause the top-level search to be performed twice per site.

Can you compile AAD from source? If you compile a debug version of AAD then it compiles the scripts as debug too, which means that you can set breakpoints in them, and Visual Studio will break on them and let you inspect variables through the watch window.

If not, then I usually go with System.IO.File.WriteAllText("DebugLog.txt", someDebugDataHere). There are similar methods for Append, and so on. I don't think a console window can be done, though (or not without more pain than it would be worth).

I'd hoped to avoid getting so deep into this as to build from source.  FYI, it's actually easy to set up a console window:

Code: [Select]
AllocConsole();
freopen("CONOUT$","wb", stdout);
freopen("CONOUT$","wb", stderr);

in C will open a console window and redirect stdout and stderr to it.

Not a big deal for me at this point, but it could be handy.

Thanks for the tip on the /ref=, I'll remove that. I'm not convinced about the change to keywords - if I'm looking for an album with a specified title, then I want to be searching the title field for it, not just any keywords. Can you give me an example of a search that works better with keywords than title?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/search?search-a...t=relevancerank
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/search?search-a...t=relevancerank

Amazon has a lot of incentive to make the main keyword search find what you want.  Title search is a lot less forgiving.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1965
But it's able to update the image and fill in the resolution without changing the order when I click on results, so it seems odd that it can't when doing the same thing asynchronously.  (shrug)
Asynchronous doesn't make a difference (in fact, even if you click on it, the image itself is still downloaded asynchronously). If you have a size filter turned on, then click on the image for a result with an unknown size, once it finishes downloading it will be removed and (if it meets the filter criteria) re-added. This is the same whether you click on it or it happens because you have automatic full size image downloading turned on.

It'd also cause the top-level search to be performed twice per site.
That's a good point. Oh well, I suppose it's worth adding customer images to the main script, if it can be done so that all the official images for the search come back first, then the customer images after those. I'll stick an IncludeCustomerImages = true somewhere near the top of the script, not that I really expect anyone to use it, though. We'll see if there are any complaints or comments once people start using it.

I can't really understand enough of that Japanese to figure out why the title search has returned results that obviously don't contain the search term in the title... doesn't make much sense to me.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1966
Asynchronous doesn't make a difference (in fact, even if you click on it, the image itself is still downloaded asynchronously). If you have a size filter turned on, then click on the image for a result with an unknown size, once it finishes downloading it will be removed and (if it meets the filter criteria) re-added. This is the same whether you click on it or it happens because you have automatic full size image downloading turned on.

I see that now, after flipping a bunch of options.  That's badly broken: every time you look at an image, it jumps to some other random spot in the list and you can't even tell what you just looked at if you want to pick it.  Using less fickle sorts would help prevent this (eg. break ties with a sequence number).  The Size sort seems inherently broken, since size information materializes whenever you click an image; for that I'd suggest only sorting on size information that's available in the initial data, and ignoring size information discovered later for sorting purposes.

I can't really understand enough of that Japanese to figure out why the title search has returned results that obviously don't contain the search term in the title... doesn't make much sense to me.

The title search returned nothing--the first line in red is "no results found", the rest is Amazon's "spit bogus search results at you and hope you don't notice it's not what you asked for".  The keyword search returns "ファイナルファンタジー4 ピアノ・コレクションズ" ("Final Fantasy 4 Piano Collection").

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1968
The page you linked to is the english version. This is shown via the selection drop down list showing ENGLISH. Just hit the download now button

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1969
@spile: wic_x86_enu.exe

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1970
Can I please make a feature request ?
When it scans for new artwork, the main window refreshes itselfs and sorts itself by size (for me). I would like the window to NOT sort itself if my mouse cursor is on the "save" button.

Because sometimes when I want to click to save a folder.jpg, bam! the window updates itself and it saves another picture.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1971
I'd suggest only sorting on size information that's available in the initial data, and ignoring size information discovered later for sorting purposes.

When it scans for new artwork, the main window refreshes itselfs and sorts itself by size (for me). I would like the window to NOT sort itself if my mouse cursor is on the "save" button.

I'm going to count that as two votes for not having results re-order themselves when the size changes as a result of downloading the full size image. It will make sorting and grouping by size useless for a lot of sources, which return unknown-size results, but I can see the argument in favour of it too.

Anyone want to argue for the opposite, that a result should be moved to its correct location in the sort order if the size changes?

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1972
Anyone want to argue for the opposite, that a result should be moved to its correct location in the sort order if the size changes?
Hope I'm not misunderstanding the discussion, but I'd like to share my use case.

I always group by size: if the results contain Unknown size pics, I quickly single-click on each of the interesting ones to move them to the correct group. Only then I inspect the quality of each image, starting from the top group.

I find that workflow handy and would like to keep it this way, if possible.

Thanks.

Alessandro

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1973

If I understood correctly what this is about, then yes.

I use "group by: source", "sort by: size descending" and "automatically download full-size images: only when unknown" settings and I always wait for the search & "downloading full size images" bars to end before doing anything.