Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 running on Mac OS X (Read 14942 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 running on Mac OS X

I have been able to run Foobar2000 on Mac OS X for Intel!
It installed and ran like a breeze under Darwine x86 0.1.1 / X11. Good news for the Foobar2000 lovers who want to go Mac in the future!

No sound, because I have not been able to get my soundcard to work. Yet...

Reply #1
Wow. Tell us when you have the sound card working.

Reply #2
Isn't foobar2000 using win32 specific stuff? MacOSX is still a BSD flavour, no matter what CPU it's running on...

Edit: removed offensive stuff.
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #3
Isn't foobar2000 using win32 specific stuff? MacOSX is still a BSD flavour, no matter what CPU it's running on...[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
See [a href="http://darwine.opendarwin.org/]Darwine[/url] and Wine.

Reply #4
"Smells like bullshit"

Then you have a bad smell! 

I dont know how to prove it, but I tell you that the image is not edited. Its a real screenshot from my Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop.
Read up on darwine and wine to find more information...

Reply #5
Okay, I thought you meant you run it natively  Darwin and Darwine is only one character difference, and I missed it, sorry. And I also know Darwin does not (necessarily) have the OSX gui, before someone educates me on that too.
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #6
Welcome to a few weeks ago, when 5 million people simultaneously hacked Apple's leaked x86 devkit install to work on non-Apple hardware, then most of them got bored and went back to whatever they were doing before that.

Reply #7
Welcome to a few weeks ago, when 5 million people simultaneously hacked Apple's leaked x86 devkit install to work on non-Apple hardware, then most of them got bored and went back to whatever they were doing before that.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=323340"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Posted retarded crap on forums?

Reply #8
Is there no way to have a new version of Foobar2000 built for Mac

We are thousends of mac users who can't stand anymore the inability of iTunes to play GAPLESS consecutive tracks. Apple has received thousends of requests for many years, petitions has been send, and …… nothing ! (just search for "iTunes" "gapless" with google, and you'll have an idea of the number of unsatisfied users)

If Foobar offers a Mac version with its gapless feature, you can be sure it will be a huge success for people who like classical music, electronic music, live concerts, or simply who want to hear Pink Floyd albums properly.
Today, a part of the succes of iTunes comes from the fact that mac owners have no choice. If we had an alternative, then the world would realize that iTunes is nothing but as a (gentle) gimmick build to listen to pop songs in the street with an (expensive) iPod, and Foobar could become THE main player for real music lovers.

(sorry for the last reply, it was a mistake)

Reply #9
Is there no way to have a new version of Foobar2000 built for Mac

We are thousends of mac users who can't stand anymore the inability of iTunes to play GAPLESS consecutive tracks. Apple has received thousends of requests for many years, petitions has been send, and …… nothing ! (just search for "iTunes" "gapless" with google, and you'll have an idea of the number of unsatisfied users)

If Foobar offers a Mac version with its gapless feature, you can be sure it will be a huge success for people who like classical music, electronic music, live concerts, or simply who want to hear Pink Floyd albums properly.
Today, a part of the succes of iTunes comes from the fact that mac owners have no choice. If we had an alternative, then the world would realize that iTunes is nothing but as a (gentle) gimmick build to listen to pop songs in the street with an (expensive) iPod, and Foobar could become THE main player for real music lovers.

(sorry for the last reply, it was a mistake)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=329827"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You could use VPC.  Otherwise, not that I am aware of.  Foobar runs on x86 and under Win32.  Thats a pretty big problem for nonWin32 PPC machines.

Reply #10
It installed and ran like a breeze under Darwine x86 0.1.1 / X11. Good news for the Foobar2000 lovers who want to go Mac in the future!

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=323255"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's really good news for Mac users, but is it really running like breeze? Last time I tried on Linux+Wine it was a bit buggy (could have been fixed since then though)

Reply #11

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's really good news for Mac users, but is it really running like breeze? Last time I tried on Linux+Wine it was a bit buggy (could have been fixed since then though)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=329941"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OSX users should take a look at [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=34592&hl=cog]Cog[/url] and look out for Dibrom's upcoming Euphanos Project.