Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC file size (Read 3322 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC file size

I have a wave file that I compressed using FLAC and FLAC front end that was the size of 43.6 MB. I compressed the wav file into two different files- one useing level 0 and the other using level 8. When I compressed it using level 0 the new size was at 27.8 MB and when compressed at level 8 the size was 29.0 MB. Does this small difference in size sound about right for such a contrast in levels or am I doing something wrong?
Cowon Iaudio X5 30 gig. It rocks!

FLAC file size

Reply #1
That sounds funny. -0 is equal to --fast and -8 is equal to --best. Your -8 files should be smaller, not bigger, assuming FLAC frontend works the same way that flac.exe does.

FLAC file size

Reply #2
That sounds funny. -0 is equal to --fast and -8 is equal to --best. Your -8 files should be smaller, not bigger, assuming FLAC frontend works the same way that flac.exe does.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=250769"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Medium seems like the best bang/buck.  I haven't noticed a lot of difference in compression ratio, so I keep it at a setting that runs fast.

FLAC file size

Reply #3
the compression used by 0 and 8 is different.
Maybe 0 is better for this particular sample?
8 should be smaller than 0 overalll

8 is not worth the time , too slow compared to 5
if you want higher compression with acceptable speed is Monkey's audio's - Extra High
you can try 6, 6 is almost the speed of 5

ummh.......
Lossless compressor cannot compress audio like lossy which is counted using kbit/sec.
the goal for lossless compressor is bit by bit identical to the original.
different compression level use slightly different method to compress, but the difference in resultant filesize is not much becoz there's nothing FLAC can squeez out anymore

someone pls correct me if i'm wrong

FLAC file size

Reply #4
I'm sorry....I got those two backwards. The level 8 is the smaller file at 27.8 and the level 0 is at 29.0 MB. There only seems to be a MB in difference in size which makes me wonder with such a small difference in size if this is normal or if I am doing something wrong.
Cowon Iaudio X5 30 gig. It rocks!

FLAC file size

Reply #5
That sounds completely correct.  There isn't a huge gain from -0 to -8.  Even less from -5 to -8.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45