Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: PowerDVD 9 DTS audio question (Read 11020 times) previous topic - next topic

PowerDVD 9 DTS audio question

According to the PowerDVD 9 site, one of the differences between the 'deluxe' and 'ultra' versions is that DTS in the Ultra version is 5.1, while the Deluxe version is only 2 channel. If I'm using S/PDIF out to my receiver, is it true that I'll only get two channels, or does this limitation only apply to analog out?

Here's the chart:
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd...tail_en_US.html

My computer can't do blue-ray, so the only reason I'd go with the Ultra is if I wouldn't get full DTS through my system.

Thanks!
zipr

Reply #1
they don't have a trial version?
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #2
they don't have a trial version?

They do, but it's only the ultimate version, so I can't test the cheaper version.

Reply #3
The limitation only applies to the capabilities of the version to decode in a given format, ir doesn't apply to S/PDIF as in that case the decoding is done by the receiver and not cyberlink's DTS decoder.
"Screw u guys, I´m going home."

Reply #4
What Skelsgard said is true, but I would avoid buying anything Cyberlink altogether. It has become bloated crapware especially in version 9 (though version 8 is worse than 7 in this regard, too). With each update, they more introduce bugs and take away features than fix anything.

If you're not playing bluray, you don't need PDVD, there are better options for everything else, including DVD, and some are even free. If you are playing bluray, there aren't really good options, but TotalMedia Theatre works better now, and more importantly, they improve with updates, and don't take away features. For instance, a big one is that with the latest updates, PowerDVD takes away the ability to play disc ISOs. Earlier on in one of the builds of PowerDVD 8, they took away the ability to play bluray structures from folders, which prompted the users to have to back up their movies in ISO files.

Reply #5
What Skelsgard said is true, but I would avoid buying anything Cyberlink altogether. It has become bloated crapware especially in version 9 (though version 8 is worse than 7 in this regard, too). With each update, they more introduce bugs and take away features than fix anything.

If you're not playing bluray, you don't need PDVD, there are better options for everything else, including DVD, and some are even free. If you are playing bluray, there aren't really good options, but TotalMedia Theatre works better now, and more importantly, they improve with updates, and don't take away features. For instance, a big one is that with the latest updates, PowerDVD takes away the ability to play disc ISOs. Earlier on in one of the builds of PowerDVD 8, they took away the ability to play bluray structures from folders, which prompted the users to have to back up their movies in ISO files.

The demo seems to work pretty well for me. I used to use WinDVD, but the version I had doesn't work in Vista and it seems that since they were bought by Corel, it became bloated too (kind of like what happened with Paintshop Pro).

The main things I like about PowerDVD9 are:
-The DVD upscaling -- the picture quality is really striking in what I've watched -- better than any other DVD software I've used
-Out of the box computability with my ATI Remote Wonder (which is really nice as the RW software won't load plugins automatically in Vista)
-Remembering where I stopped a movie

I haven't tried TotalMedia Theatre as the reviews have been mixed. I have played with VLC and the Windows Media Player.

Reply #6
I have PowerDVD 8 and I feel the same, with each version it becomes more bloated, but I still think that cyberlink's MPEG-2 decoder is one of the fastest and with the greatest visual quality there are, so for DVDs I actually use a directshow player like bsplayer or any other player along with cyberlink mpeg-2 decoder and ac3filter/ffdshow for spdif output to a receiver or my audigy 2 zs soundcard (with dolby and dts hardware decoding) and I'm set.

Reply #7
I actually use a directshow player like bsplayer or any other player along with cyberlink mpeg-2 decoder and ac3filter/ffdshow for spdif output to a receiver or my audigy 2 zs soundcard (with dolby and dts hardware decoding) and I'm set.

So how do you set that up, anyway?

Reply #8
Make sure that the cyberlink video decoder is the preferred one, though usually when installed it is. Play a m2v or vob file into a dshow player like bs or media player classic or even windows media player, and check the filters to see if cyberlink's video decoder is loaded.

For DTS SPDIF passthrough with AC3Filter, set it like so:

With ffdshow:

I'm using 24bit as output because the Audigy soundcard needs 24bit input to properly decode the SPDIF stream (I don't have the receiver connected right now), but for an external receiver 16bit is usually the right choice, although I haven't tried 24bit on a mine, it might work, who knows?.