Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WinAmp 5.0 Final - Official Download Links (Read 34561 times) previous topic - next topic

WinAmp 5.0 Final - Official Download Links

WinAmp 5.0 Final has been released on the Winamp.com site for downloading (see download links below from Winamp.com). A nice article from Cnet's News.com with a review and description of the features of WinAmp 5 is at:

http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-5125657.ht...ml?tag=nefd_top

The download links to get the release version of WinAmp 5 are as follows:

Winamp 5.0 FULL Version: http://download.nullsoft.com/winamp/client...namp50_full.exe

Winamp 5.0 LITE Version: http://download.nullsoft.com/winamp/client...namp50_lite.exe

I am interested in hearing people's feedback on this 5.0 official release version. Does it natively support WMA 9 Pro/Lossless audio formats? I tried to play .mp4 files natively in WinAmp 5.0 with no success (without the AudioCoding.com plugin).
I thought they would include .mp4 container playback support. Oh well  It appears to be a solid release though...

Update: The Winamp.com site has now been updated to reflect Winamp 5.0 downloading.

Reply #1
Wow...loving these new milkdrop presets. I like the GUI a lot too.

Reply #2
Does the ML support ape tags?

Reply #3
download links 404 for me, will have to wait for them to fix that.
-Andy

Reply #4
Works for me... and BTW it looks sweet. Just remember to copy all ur plugins over so you have seamless support for all your file formats.

I don't use ML so I can't report on that... simple playlist are my thing.

Laters

AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Reply #5
Before I install it (I guess I missed this somewhere)... All my skins and plugins from WA2 will work ok?

Reply #6
still 404s for me
-Andy

Reply #7
we're going to fix the .aac thing in .1, it couldn't make it in for .0.

-s

Reply #9
lol sweet! i just d/l'd off winamp.com when RC666 hit a couple of days ago, i saw people saying things like "this is pretty much the final, and we get it a year early" and a couple DAYS later BOOM! final is out and everything! goodjob nullsoft

Reply #10
The Winamp FAQ is pretty informative.  It answered the two top questions which hit my mind.  Winamp 2 skins (classic skins) and plugins work perfectly with Winamp 5

EDIT:  Finally, Vorbis output plugin 1.3.5!!  No more tagging problems

Reply #11
Are the Winamp 5 MP3 decoder and/or output plugin(s) any better than WinAMP v2.91 (like support for 24 bit, better internal precision, whatever)?  Otherwise I'm not gonna bother...

Reply #12
ah so it has hotkeys for everything like... mmmm... foobar?
Very smart, finally we can forget those global-audio-control like appz.

Reply #13
Is is just me, or am i the only one who can't seem to get gapless playback to work properly with my MPC's?

Reply #14
Are the Winamp 5 MP3 decoder and/or output plugin(s) any better than WinAMP v2.91 (like support for 24 bit, better internal precision, whatever)?  Otherwise I'm not gonna bother...

hmm....It's version 3.0 of the Nullsoft MPEG Decoder.  Decodes AAC as well.  Apart from that, everything seems the same.

Reply #15
Re the 404ing, it 404ed for me in Mozilla, but downloaded fine in Internet Explorer.

Reply #16
One absolutely minute addition which I like is that the bitrate display now has 4 digits which means all my FLACs come up as 1078, say, rather than 10H (in 2.91).

Apart from that, seems very nice so far.

As for downloading, the Winamp site was far too slow, so got the torrent of it and maxed out connection. BitTorrent is actually useful for legit software distribution rather than just piracy!

Reply #17
wow, steve gedikian himself speaking up. that means that MP4 support is coming along soon (I take this as an official confirmation).

steve, any details? just curious.

*amano waiting for 5.01 and DrO's JTFE 1.0*

EDIT: @fewtch: why not bother? just use the mpeg123 or the MAD plugin if you believe that 16bits are not enough for you.

Reply #18
the new webpage says:

winamp 5.0!

Most things actually work!

hr... classic this one

Reply #19
EDIT: @fewtch: why not bother? just use the mpeg123 or the MAD plugin if you believe that 16bits are not enough for you.

I have trouble with the MAD plugin and a few of my MP3s (it plays only silence).  Probably they're corrupted, but the WinAMP plugin plays everything fine.

Don't know anything about the mpeg123, I only vaguely remember any mentions of it.

I was really just wondering if there's any fundamental changes/improvements in the MPEG decoding engine (or any of the other plugins).  Did they finally get rid of that Full/Half/Quarter quality option, or the 8-bit option (does anyone really use Pentium 133's with Soundblaster Pro cards anymore?  )

Reply #20
Anybody tried playing any WMA 9 media with Winamp 5.0? Say WMA 9 Pro or WMA Lossless? Any success?

Reply #21
I just tried some WMA 9 audio files and Winamp 5 refused to play them. Am I doing something wrong (I used Windows Media Encoder 9 to create the audio file) or is this a limitation in Winamp? I am surprised that they don't support the latest Microsoft Windows Media formats/codecs...

Reply #22
I have an archive of flac files. My naming convention is:

artist\year - album\track - title

I use Speek's FLAC Frontend or Tag Frontend for generating the tags on my flac files (artist, year, album, track, title). My problem is Winamp's media library doesn't read the tags, even though I have the option checked ("Read file metadata tags on import if available"). Secondly, my file naming convention doesn't allow auto detection to work properly.

Is there a way to get media library to read the tags properly? Or is there a way to specify my own naming convention (as you can in Speek's frontends)?
You smell.

Reply #23
And don't forget the 'pro' version at:

http://download.nullsoft.com/winamp/client...inamp50_pro.exe

Of course that doesn't help you since you still need a reg key.  They'll let you download this all day long as many times as you want because you still gotta give them money before it works.

One thing I'm curious about is what kind of copy protection is being used.  (Obviously I haven't yet installed any of the release versions of Winamp5)

Is it just a reg key or are they going to do something disgusting and have some sort of background process installed constantly monitoring you?  (Kind of like how the tax program Intuit did.  It wrote to track 0 of your hard drive and kept running even if you uninstalled the protected program.)

A reg key is no big deal, but something dirty like a background task or regular net access or something is definetly something I would want to know about before I gave them my money.

Are there any actual differences between the 'pro' and the 'full' version?  It's 293 bytes smaller than the 'full' version, so obviously they can't be adding any major copy routines, unless the 'full' version also has them.  (Which is why I haven't installed the 'full' version yet!)

Also, any idea how good the cd ripping ability is?  As good as CDex?  Certainly wouldn't be as good as EAC.

Reply #24
I have an archive of flac files. My naming convention is:

artist\year - album\track - title

Is there a way to get media library to read the tags properly? Or is there a way to specify my own naming convention (as you can in Speek's frontends)?

Yeah.. yeah.. me too.. me too!!!