Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Play multiple tracks at once? (Read 10406 times) previous topic - next topic

Play multiple tracks at once?

OK, here's the deal. I recently ripped the tracks from my copy of Guitar Hero for PS2, and they come in 2 bits - the Guitar section, and the Song section. Now, they're both straight OGG files, so play perfectly fine in 0.9.3.1, but here's the snag - to hear the song in it's correct entirety, you need both tracks to be playing at the same time.

Right now, I'm bodging this by playing one in 0.9.3.1 and the other in my old 0.8.3 install, but this obviously limits what I can do in terms of playylists, track changes - and is a bit of a pig to work with. I'm trying to move OFF 0.8.3 as it is, I don't need ANOTHER reason to keep it. ;P

Basically, the question is thus: I know DSP plugins exist to cross-fade tracks, so I assume fb2k can play 2 tracks at once. Is there one that'll play 2 tracks at once, like how I'm doing at the moment in 2 seperate players?

Reply #1
Can't you just combine the 2 songs in audacity or such?

Reply #2
why don't you just mix both files into one file? I would have ripped them to *.WAV and mixed them together with the standard audio recorder of windows (sndrec32.exe). after that, you can encode the mixed, single WAV-file to Vorbis or whatever you want.

you also could ABX the two songs, what would be a rather bad solution though. (doesn't fix the handling problem)

Reply #3
Yeah, it looks like doing that is gonna be the best option. I'd ideally wanted to avoid that to stop any quality loss, but a quick test last night with Ace of Spades didn't pick up any noticable loss.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Reply #4
What i do to play 2 files at once, is to launch two instances of foobar2000, assign a different global hotkey for each instance to start playback. Then i hit the hotkeys at the same time to start the playback of the two files simultaneously.

edit: you can launch two instances of 0.9.3.1 , no need to keep 0.8.3 if you don't want to

Reply #5
Theres an album by the Flaming Lips that was intended to play simultaneously over 4 discs. I have them ripped to mp3 but it would be nice to hear them as intended.
My Name is Sean and I'm here to leech off your genius.

Reply #6
Well, there are some ways to do that in the above posts.

Reply #7
Perhaps it would be possible to write an input component that implements a type of URL like mix://file1|file2 and combines them, does the SDK allow this? (An input component using other components to do the decoding)

Reply #8
Theres an album by the Flaming Lips that was intended to play simultaneously over 4 discs. I have them ripped to mp3 but it would be nice to hear them as intended.

Man, you can't listen to it through just 2 speakers. You need to play them on seperate systems to hear the album properly.

Reply #9

Man, you can't listen to it through just 2 speakers. You need to play them on seperate systems to hear the album properly.

What about an 8 channel sound card feeding 4 stereo amps?

Edit: If you have such a card, it would be possible to play it back in this way. One way of doing it would be to open a new project in Audition, switch to multi track view, add 4 tracks, and choose Insert->Audio from the context menu. Set the output for each track to the appropriate ASIO output and hit play.