Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Command Line Utility to view & edit ID3 tags of WMA files (Read 8950 times) previous topic - next topic

Command Line Utility to view & edit ID3 tags of WMA files

Hi community!

I apologize - I don't really know if this is a good place to ask this question, but frankly I'm at the end of my rope here and will take whatever I can get.

I'm fairly OCD about my music tagging, and would like to be able to script some large-scale changes. (I give a few examples below to give you an idea of what kind of operations I’m talking about.) I thought a good way to do this would be to find a command line tagging utility like tag.exe ( http://www.synthetic-soul.co.uk/tag/ ). Unfortunately though my music is all in .wma format which is unsupported by this and all other utilities I’ve found. I’ve looked through the windows api for changing tags in wma files but it’s way over my head. I’ve also looked at many higher level tag-editing utilities (e.g. mp3tag) but none of these have seemed to be satisfactorily able to make the complex modifications I would like. I’ve probably downloaded 25 or 30 apps in total and found no winners yet.

I know that it is a lot to ask to be able to read and write ID3 tags from wma files, all through the command line. So I understand that such a utility likely does not exist. But I figured I would ask here before giving up my search. If you can think of any different ways to accomplish what I’m after I would be all ears for that too. (I’m not interested in converting my wma files to MP3 though - size is important for me. Plus I have a ton of files.)

If all else fails I will probably end up getting cozy with one of the mp3tag-like programs, learning how to best adapt it to my uses. For instance I could use mp3tag to export all tag info to a massive text file, modify that text file with scripting, and then re-import the tags to the files with mp3tag.

Thank you!!!
Sincerely,
berban

Some sample tag operations:
  • Change all instances of "Song title (Someone's Remix)" to "Song title [Someone's Remix]"
  • Remove "feat. Someone" from a song's title and instead add another contributing artist.
  • Reorder the genre tags so that "Rock" is before other genres like "Chill". (I use multiple genre tags in my music.)

Reply #1
(I’m not interested in converting my wma files to MP3 though - size is important for me. Plus I have a ton of files.)

I don't have an answer for you, but I am curious what size has to do with wma vs. mp3?

Reply #2
Do wma files actually use ID3?

Reply #3
I was looking for such a tool for some time until I gave up and wrote one myself
https://sourceforge.net/projects/taggersharp/

I believe one could use it to achieve what the OP wants by utilizing some scripting and regular expressions