Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_convolve - Impulse response convolver (Read 328391 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_convolve - Impulse response convolver

Reply #50
Correction for previous request, I have no idea how the hell this would work, if at all.

Of course, I can see the relevance of summing stereo impulses of individual channels, perhaps for processing each channel with its own HRTF impulse. Of course, that'd be doubly slow for plain stereo... double again for 4.0...

Reply #51
How does one go about converting Sound Forge impulse files (.sfi) to .wav format for loading in FB2K?

Reply #52
Feed that unitpulse2k.wav through it. You can trim it down to the single pulse sample first, as the output will be extended to the full length of the impulse.

Reply #53
MIX ADJUST not work fine here.

Load impulse file, for exemple unitpulse2k
(because problem is very clear)

put slider to 0 %
play
sound isn't different from sound without convolver (fortunately...).

put slider to 100 %
sound no change (logically!)

put slider to 50 %
I can not explain in English what I hears but it is catastrophic!

same problem with all impulses files
foobar 0.667 and 0.7 b22

please, can you confirme if it is a bug or if i have a problem in my system?
Music is my first love.

Reply #54
Melomane, read whole thread - I had the same "problem". Unitpulse is not really unitpulse (Dirac delta) but unitpulse plus const., so it works as delay filter.

Reply #55
Thank you Messer, now i understand.
i have use file from convolve.zip (0.6 foobar) and all are wrong.
Music is my first love.

Reply #56
I don't care what design mistakes other people made. You can do it by editing the impulse. There is no point to including it in the component.

Garf, just wondering...
If the impulse contains response that comes _before_ actual pulse (some pre-echoes etc.), then there's no way to compensate delay by editing impulse file only...

Reply #57
There is also no way to compensate for that on output, unless you want to cut off the pre-echo of the first few samples.

Reply #58
kode54 is correct. It's also reason why the included unitpulse2k is not a true dirac pulse, so effects that influence before the impulse have some 'room'. I noticed that otherwhise most effects aren't able to work well.

If you have an effect with delay and want to have a delayed wet/dry mix, work with the impulse in an external wave editor.

Reply #59
Nah, that's not really a whining, I was just "thinking aloud" about possible situations where adjustable delay could be handy  Not that it's worth the hassle...

Reply #60
Garf, in case you need some more whining as motivation

Could you please, pretty please, look into adding crossmixing?
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #61
Where can I download the latest foo_convolve plugin?

Reply #62
Where can I download the latest foo_convolve plugin?

It's included in the special installer from Case's site or available at official fb2k components site.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #64
I was wondering the processing pipeline of FooConvolver?

Is it:-

Impulse converts to 64 bit float and then is processed with what is in the playlist (which is also converted to 64 bit float).

ie:- 64 bit float x 64 bit float regardless of format the originals were in.

all processed using 64 bit float precision?

Also what happens when the samplerates do not match?

Reply #65
Impulse converts to 64 bit float and then is processed with what is in the playlist (which is also converted to 64 bit float).

ie:- 64 bit float x 64 bit float regardless of format the originals were in.

all processed using 64 bit float precision?

Also what happens when the samplerates do not match?

All processing is in 32 bit float precision. (There is no quality advantage in 64 bits and it takes up more memory).

When samplerates don't match the samplerate of the output takes priority, and the impulse is treated as having that samplerate (so basically you want to avoid that unless you want to try to get some funny effects).

Reply #66
So does anybody have a good impulse for use with Sennheiser HD580's, an audigy 2 using kernel streaming, and pop/rock music?  (weezer, red hot chili peppers, beck, cake, radiohead, etc)  (and some classical/techno of course).

Reply #67
So does anybody have a good impulse for use with Sennheiser HD580's, an audigy 2 using kernel streaming, and pop/rock music?  (weezer, red hot chili peppers, beck, cake, radiohead, etc)  (and some classical/techno of course).

Try UnitpulseDirac.wav.

Reply #68

Try UnitpulseDirac.wav.

Ahaha, touche!

The HD580 is great without equalization or impulses but sometimes the perfect lineariry does get boring. In those cases I kinda like "Tube Amps/Studer +6dB Updated" for a warmer feeling.

Reply #69
This is what I tried. I made several restrictions, one that it was restricted to zero phase filters (no complex components), and that any boost was forcedly limited to 30dB (to prevent overamplification of noise). But even reversing simple equalization didn't work all that well. It needs further experimentation.

You need at more sophisticated approach for this.

Try DRC program by Dennis SAbrigion. It can be found at Freashmeat

Morten

Reply #70
Is it possible to add support for one impulse response per sample rate ?

I use an impulse response in order to correct the equalization of my speakers, because the equalizer don't have a parametric section. But I have both 44100 Hz and 48000 Hz files in my playlist.

It would be nice if the convolver would use toto44.wav as impulse response when a 44.1 kHz file is played, and switch to toto48.wav when a 48kHz file is played.

Reply #71
Exhibited *very* strange behaviour.

Upon first run with it, attempted to go into prefs, and it foobar crashed as soon as I click "foobar2000".

Removed *all* componets, and it worked fine. So i slowly added them all back in, and now it works fine. lol. *shrugs*

Steve

Reply #72
Is it possible to add support for one impulse response per sample rate ?

I use an impulse response in order to correct the equalization of my speakers, because the equalizer don't have a parametric section. But I have both 44100 Hz and 48000 Hz files in my playlist.

It would be nice if the convolver would use toto44.wav as impulse response when a 44.1 kHz file is played, and switch to toto48.wav when a 48kHz file is played.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=205850"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Shouldn't correct and easier behaviour be to resample the impulse response instead?

Reply #73
I don't know.
If you know as a fact that it works (=produce the desired effect) it would be the easiest solution by far, yes, though some people might prefer having the freedom to choose their own resampler, or to record the impulse again.

Reply #74
though some people might prefer having the freedom to choose their own resampler

That will be true to some extent, since I'd just use foobar's resampler services.