Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lots of patents expiring in 2015 - how relevant is MP3 still? (Read 39062 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Lots of patents expiring in 2015 - how relevant is MP3 still?

Reply #50
There already are cars that integrate Qi charging surfaces, and for those that don't integrate it, there already are accessories for adding wireless chargers to your car.

And guess which Fruit Company finally jumped on the Qi train?

Reply #51
Yeah, most aftermarket charging surface are shit, though. I had a couple and they're crap. My newer car has a charging area in a slim cubbyhole under the infotainment system. Phone goes in there, connects to the car via bluetooth when it senses the NFC chip and charges via Qi.

What I meant was, seeing Qi chargers as more or less standard in cars.

Reply #52
People don't seem to use media with their cars anymore. Or at least, much less than it was the case even three years ago.

People seem to care much more, whether they can pair their car with their cellphone. And if that's not the case, how they can play back music from their cellphone through the car's stereo via a cable. I don't mind that at all, it's the next logical step.

I generally agree, however, I still find that simply plugging in a SD card or USB stick with MP3 into a car stereo is more convenient then placing a smartphone into the holder, organizing it's power supply, connections, wiring etc. Also, the audio controls on the wheel itself are very ergonomic. I have a blue tooth option (at least it says so on the screen), but could not pair my Xperia Z3 for some reason.

I was really hoping that AAC will make any other formats obsolete for me (including FLAC or other lossless), but when dealing with an older car stereos I still use mp3 and actually, don't mind it at all.

Reply #53
Yep, there is nothing wrong with MP3. All right, it needs more bitrate but transparent point at ~170-192 kbps (LAME V3-V2) isn't that high price to pay for compatibility with certain hardware. 

Reply #54
People don't seem to use media with their cars anymore. Or at least, much less than it was the case even three years ago.

People seem to care much more, whether they can pair their car with their cellphone. And if that's not the case, how they can play back music from their cellphone through the car's stereo via a cable. I don't mind that at all, it's the next logical step.
I must be one of those old-fashioned people who still uses a line-out from my iPod to my car's stereo. :P

Reply #55
I must be one of those old-fashioned people who still uses a line-out from my iPod to my car's stereo. :P
I have an old Mustang and I still use this: and I love it :) I don't like technology like I used to, I like invisible and convenient technology, not necessarily new technology. This is funny because I moved to USA from Italy to work in IT and I have two IT companies that provide new technologies of backup/networking for companies and new ideas of apps for mobile devices.

Reply #56
does anyone know when the last AAC patent expires?

Reply #57
AAC is a family of formats (LC-AAC, HE-AAC, HE-AACv2)

It's not clear when AAC patents expire.
But some estimations can be done.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-2
http://www.osnews.com/story/24954/US_Patent_Expiration_for_MP3_MPEG-2_H_264/

LC-AAC's patents will expire first.  MPEG2 video format will have its patents expired in 2018. LC-AAC's patents are 1 year younger.
So it's a reasonable estimation that LC-AAC's patents will expire somewhere in 2019. 

HE-AAC and HE-AACv2 have more recent dates (+6-7 years  comparing to LC-AAC) so don't expect to see them patent free until 2025-2026

PS. Related topic https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,94049.msg789998.html#msg789998