Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp3 info different in Foobar than iTunes, why? (Read 2445 times) previous topic - next topic

mp3 info different in Foobar than iTunes, why?

I am moving over from iTunes, in there I removed most of the albums names from my music. To my surprise when looking at exactly the same songs in Foobar most of the album names have reappeared. Clearly the file info (do you call them tags?) I was editing in iTunes are different to the ones that foobar is displaying. Why is that and more importantly how can I get it to show the info as it appears in iTunes to save me re-editing all my info again?

Thanks Marcus

Reply #1
You likely only edited the iTunes database, not your actual files. Never having used iTunes, I don't know how to instruct you to use iTunes to apply those database changes to the files' tags.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
Which audio/tag format? What does foobar2000 report when you check the tag types in the file Properties? etc.

shakey, I think iTunes always applies changes to the tags as well as the library.

do you call them tags?
A tag is a block of metadata (additional information about the main content). Each parameter in the tag (e.g. artist or title) is a field, and each field has a corresponding value. (In ID3v2 tags, you can think of frame as meaning field.)

Reply #3
Many thanks

OK in Foobar under file properties for the song "Walk this way" (mp3) I get the following under Metadata (thanks for the explanation its appreciated)

Artist: Aerosmith
Title: Walk This Way
Album; Billboard Top 100
Date: 1977
Genre: Rock
Comment: Billbord followed by loads of numbers.
(the rest are blank)

OK to begin with the date is wrong for this song. Next I removed the Album name in iTunes so that is simply read the name of artist and song, nothing else.

Under Location
Its listed as Drive Letter\Audio\Aerosmith\Unknown Album\Walk This Way.

Clearly showing that as far as iTunes (which created the folder) was concerned the Album name had been removed.

I can only guess that within iTunes therefore when you alter the name. album etc of a song your not actually altering the original metadata connected to the mp3 file but a copy that iTunes creates when you load the song? This could be a real problem when it comes to sorting out all my audiobooks if they are also in a bad state.

Finally under General it says -
Codec: mp3
Encoding: lossy
tag type: id3v2/id3v1

Reply #4
Glad to help! Hmm, I was thinking that perhaps iTunes was editing one of the ID3v1/2 tags but foobar2000 was reading the other, but I don’t know how likely that is. I hadn’t been aware iTunes could edit information in the database without altering the files, so if that is indeed the case, I don’t know what to recommend.

Reply #5
Glad to help! Hmm, I was thinking that perhaps iTunes was editing one of the ID3v1/2 tags but foobar2000 was reading the other, but I don’t know how likely that is. I hadn’t been aware iTunes could edit information in the database without altering the files, so if that is indeed the case, I don’t know what to recommend.

Thanks anyway, I will have to go through and see just how large a problem it really is.